CD on Post-game | The Boneyard

CD on Post-game

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
CD was adamant that the team gave this one away. She sounded extremely disappointed and seemed to be expressing the emotion of everyone connected to the team. She said it may be a turning point for the team.

She pointed out the obvious, turnovers, poor FT shooting and a lack of poise and said the team had the game and gave it away in regulation. She refused to accept the inexperience excuse, nor did she complain about the officiating. She rightly said that the more aggressive team gets the calls, especially at home, and ND was the more aggressive team. She said really good teams don't make mistakes down the stretch regardless of their experience level.

She said Kiah did some good things and has been good in practice of late so she hopes it continues. (I hope so too! The team needs Kiah to play well.)

As for overtime, she said that the team didn't recover well from the failure to close out the game in overtime and there was a carryover in OT. (I agree and this is an area I'll criticize Geno. Sure, it was disappointing that the team threw the ball away on that last play, but Geno needs not to get all over the team for the mistake but instead let it go and think about keeping the kids confident for the remainder of the game. Easy for me to say, but I had a bad feeling when I watched him yell at KML.)

Reaction Score
Great game for Kiah. I agree that Geno could save that for tape review but that is not in his personality to this point. Hard fought game to lose but hopefully it makes us stronger.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
CD was adamant that the team gave this one away. She sounded extremely disappointed and seemed to be expressing the emotion of everyone connected to the team. She said it may be a turning point for the team.

She pointed out the obvious, turnovers, poor FT shooting and a lack of poise and said the team had the game and gave it away in regulation. She refused to accept the inexperience excuse, nor did she complain about the officiating. She rightly said that the more aggressive team gets the calls, especially at home, and ND was the more aggressive team. She said really good teams don't make mistakes down the stretch regardless of their experience level.

She said Kiah did some good things and has been good in practice of late so she hopes it continues. (I hope so too! The team needs Kiah to play well.)

As for overtime, she said that the team didn't recover well from the failure to close out the game in overtime and there was a carryover in OT. (I agree and this is an area I'll criticize Geno. Sure, it was disappointing that the team threw the ball away on that last play, but Geno needs not to get all over the team for the mistake but instead let it go and think about keeping the kids confident for the remainder of the game. Easy for me to say, but I had a bad feeling when I watched him yell at KML.)

Same here. Let it go, Geno, and get the team ready for the rest of the game. (He might have been assuming ND was going to score and win in regulation. Still, not good coaching there.)

I thought CD was spot on with her comments, as usual.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm with CD. I was mostly OK with the loss to Baylor but this one is leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
I'm with CD. I was mostly OK with the loss to Baylor but this one is leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

It was a very intense game and so frustrating to see their mistakes. But maybe we just have to accept that this team is not as good as the UConn teams of recent years. It was disappointing that KML was mostly ineffective, and that Tiffany still couldn't do much scoring vs. the Irish, but then again that ND aggressiveness was awesome.

Incidentally, does anyone recall the last time the Huskies played in OT, and the last time they lost two out of five in the regular season? I don't know the answers. I'm just wondering.

Incidentally, Peters, Novosel and Mallory will be gone next year.

Reaction Score

I could not agree more. This one is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Reaction Score

Incidentally, Peters, Novosel and Mallory will be gone next year.

We lose Tiff, but gain Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck. Looks like ND better get their wins this season cause it doesn't look so good in the future!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Understandable. I am not a happy camper either. And I am just a fan/observer.
Everything CD said was correct. You will never hear a coach mention officiating one way or another so that means little to nothing. This game was ours and it was lost at the end of regulation.

Reaction Score
Very sour taste. No poise was the most frustrating part for me - - missing a make-able shot is much easier to deal with. CD was spot on (as always). It would be interesting to know whether CD meant a turning point towards better play or towards preparing the foundation for next year.

Reaction Score

This loss stung because it was a conference game. Its going to be a chess match between ND / UCONN from this point forward.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great comments by CD and great for her not to blame anything on the officials. agree 100% with what she said. she hit the nail on the head with the comments about the more aggressive team. our guards can learn from that.

Reaction Score

Agree with CD's comments, especially about aggressive teams at home. Regarding Geno, I had the same thought given the time and situation. KML is an awesome player and probably National FOY, but she is a frosh, maybe she was trying too hard and was tight.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Agree with CD's comments, especially about aggressive teams at home. Regarding Geno, I had the same thought given the time and situation. KML is an awesome player and probably National FOY, but she is a frosh, maybe she was trying too hard and was tight.

As it turns out, according to the presser, KML was in the wrong spot on that last possession. That explains Geno's frustration. Tough one for the freshman, but I've been waiting for a game like this. Every player has them and this was her first.

Reaction Score
Incidentally, does anyone recall the last time the Huskies played in OT, and the last time they lost two out of five in the regular season? I don't know the answers. I'm just wondering.

UConn had an overtime game at Gampel against USF, of all teams, a good 5 or 6 years ago. I remember because I kept screaming "Get it over with, my TiVo is going to shut off!"

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
2007- lost to Tennessee and UNC over a four-game stretch.

Could be wrong, but I think the last OT game was in 2006 in the Elite Eight against Duke.

Reaction Score
Very sour taste. No poise was the most frustrating part for me - - missing a make-able shot is much easier to deal with. CD was spot on (as always). It would be interesting to know whether CD meant a turning point towards better play or towards preparing the foundation for next year.

This is the second game that loss of poise has led to a loss. This team needs to collectively decide that with a lead at the end of the game, the object is to win, not play non-aggresivly to not lose. This can't be accomplished by one or two people putting the team on their shoulders - we saw from last year's ND game in the FF that that does not work no matter how good a player. This is a relatively young team, so lets hope that as a team they ''get it" soon.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
There's no use in berating everyone or making excuses, neither of which CD did. And no use rationalizing the bitter taste we have. Certainly no use trying to put a positive "spin" on a disappointing result. An aide to President Lyndon Johnson once tried to explain how the White House staff was going to put a positive face on a tough election loss. LBJ listened awhile, then said, "Son, you can't shine ."

Reaction Score
This is the second game that loss of poise has led to a loss. This team needs to collectively decide that with a lead at the end of the game, the object is to win, not play non-aggresivly to not lose. This can't be accomplished by one or two people putting the team on their shoulders - we saw from last year's ND game in the FF that that does not work no matter how good a player. This is a relatively young team, so lets hope that as a team they ''get it" soon.

As disappointing as the loss can be, there are a lot of positives to build on for rematch as well the Big East tourney and NCAAs. After all, you were in a hostile environment playing against the national champ runner-up that has an AA in Diggins and experienced players in post. I think UConn will win at home and on a neutral court.

Reaction Score
Great comments by CD and great for her not to blame anything on the officials. agree 100% with what she said. she hit the nail on the head with the comments about the more aggressive team. our guards can learn from that.
CD was right on with comments and wise not to blame the officials publicly;) This was our game to win @ ND and we did not finish it off! As far as a turning point for the team,CD was not stating that the season is over and time to look towards next season:rolleyes: This will be used as a learning lesson and reinforcing what has been stated recently! Practice at 110% for entire time, leaders coming forward,dedication, etal!

Reaction Score
I agree with most of the comments offered. With more playing time in games, we will improve. Remember, even though we play them a number of times, it's the game in the NCAA tournament, if we get to play them that counts the most! Remember the history of last year.

Reaction Score
We lose Tiff, but gain Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck. Looks like ND better get their wins this season cause it doesn't look so good in the future!
It is very true that < this is the year for ND if they are going to win a NC> yes they lose Peters,Novosel,and Mallory,but this season is not over! We have lost 2 games on the road to BA & ND who will be ranked 1 and 2 in the next poll. We are a young,team that is not the same team as the last 4 years! Inspite of this and the fact that this team needs to grow, we could very well be undefeated. I do not believe there is a team that is dominating when playing the few teams who are really in the small group who are above the rest. Inspite of everything,we happen to be one of those few teams. Remember 6+,7,8,9 what that # ends up being will decide how far we go

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

Im sure Bob P can give you that answer

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Geno said earlier that we would not win it all this year. Yes, we can see the flaws, and it hurts to know we were up by 4 at the end and did not make a cavalry charge at the end to keep that lead. Still at the end of regulation we were neck and neck with the enemy on their court. That's not shabby and gives reason for optimism when ND comes to our house.
When that time comes, listen to Tony C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman