CBS WNBA Mock Draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CBS WNBA Mock Draft

Reaction Score
Will be hard to not take Kelsey Plum as the 1st overall pick. I'd probably go with Diamond as well, if I was satisfied if she would fit in with her new teammates.

Is Chantel Osahor the 9th best player for Chicago Skye to pick. She has great College Stats, but will her style of play fit the uptempo WNBA game?
I haven't seen much of Osahor, but I can't imagine why the pros would want her. She has size, bulk, and apparently, good hands. But she's about as mobile as a zombie. I have to believe the pro game is too fast for her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
From all accounts I've heard, Kelsey Mitchell is coming out. She is set to graduate during the summer session and that's the word I've gotten on the street ;)

If she does, she'll be gone by the 6th pick. If I'm a GM, and I had my choice between her and Diamond, I'd take her. More upside, less baggage.

Reaction Score
I think that Diamond is way too risky at #1. She could be the most athletic player in the league and the 80th best player. Any GM would be rolling the dice with her. Ruth Riley is smart. I don't see her picking Diamond.

If Alexis Jones drops to #8, both Triad and I will swear off donuts. She's clearly top 5 and possibly the best guard in the draft.
In what league are you talking about?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Watching the Syracuse/UNC game.

Could Alexis Peterson be a high draft choice?? First round?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
To justify DeShields as the #1 pick, "Lady Vols reporter Maria Cornelius" is cited.

Ms. Cornelius cannot be seriously considered for any basketball acumen or expertise. She is the shamefully biased monitor of The Summit. As such, for years she not only tolerated hundreds of despicable posts aimed at all things UConn (especially Diana and Geno) but actually encouraged this incessant verbal vitriol.

I strongly believe that she had much to do with the construction of that infamous 37-page complaint. A keen basketball analyst she ain't. Her lone claim to fame is as the persistent poisoner of the UConn well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum would be my #1. She reminds me a lot of DT. Further, if Saniya continues to perform at the level at which she has been performing, I think she'll go at the bottom of round 1; otherwise, round 2 or 3.

My Man!

Reaction Score
I've listened to interviews with Plum and Deshields and I can't even imagine why anyone would want Deshields over Plum. Everything she says is I, I, I. Very rarely are her teammates even mentioned. Plum is almost the complete opposite, giving her teammates and coaches as much love as possible. And, Deshields hasn't produced up to her potential... or maybe she has. A little flash here and there doesn't mean squat to me, I like to see substance. Heck, even I can make a great pass once in a while, especially if I'm not worried about turning the ball over 5 or 6 times. I'm done.

I guess I'm not. When asked, she has stated she was the best WBB player to come out of Georgia, even after being reminded Maya Moore came from Georgia. Confidence is one thing, but being a little humble can go a long way..... especially when you are not producing. OK, now I'm done.

Maya Moore is the best player on the planet (and that includes the men).

Reaction Score
K-State's cnter should be the #1 pick if the WNBA GMs had an sense (but they don't).

Reaction Score
I was wondering about this as well. Courtney Paris was great in college but she has only been average in the WNBA and she's a better player than Osahor.

Not exactly the same player. Osahor has a WNBA-length three point shot, plus she facilitates very well.

Reaction Score
I think that Diamond is way too risky at #1. She could be the most athletic player in the league and the 80th best player. Any GM would be rolling the dice with her. Ruth Riley is smart. I don't see her picking Diamond.

If Alexis Jones drops to #8, both Triad and I will swear off donuts. She's clearly top 5 and possibly the best guard in the draft.

Jones has been having chronic knee issues.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum would be my #1. She reminds me a lot of DT. Further, if Saniya continues to perform at the level at which she has been performing, I think she'll go at the bottom of round 1; otherwise, round 2 or 3.

We'll very quickly see how well Plum's game translates to the WNBA, where athleticism is the premium. I think she'll find scoring a bit more difficult, like she did against the Cuse in last year's FF.

Reaction Score
My Man!

How good a pro would Plum be? Honestly asking. There are some great college players who don't even stick with a pro team. And then there are mediocre college players who end up as stars. Courtney Paris bombed as a pro.

Would Plum be an All-Star as a freshman? Or does she come off the bench? Honestly asking for opinions.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Every mock draft that I've seen includes Kelsey Mitchell. I find that to be very presumptuous. I've watched almost all of Ohio State's games and have yet to hear anyone (commentators, coaches, teammates, or Mitchell herself) mention that she's planning on leaving. I just can't imagine her doing so. Not only should Ohio State be a better team next season, there's an outside chance that Mitchell might be chasing Plum for the career scoring title. I'm pretty sure she returns for her senior year.
If you remember a couple of years ago, Jewel Lloyd never at any point in her Jr. season mentioned coming out early, until she did. KMitch hasn't said a word about it, but she sees the WCBB landscape, she knows she has no shot at a Natty and because of the team she plays on and the talent they have coming back, no shot at breaking Plum's career scoring record. Unless she just wants to be a Senior at tOSU, which does have some pull if you're an Ohioan like she is, I really don't see any reason for her to come back.

Reaction Score
In terms of speed and vertical, Diamond will be near the top of the WNBA early on. But that may not translate to great play.
I guess others see that in her, but I don't. She is the best athlete on TENN but that isn't saying much. I think there are so many great athletes in the WNBA that she won't be dominant in that way.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
How good a pro would Plum be? Honestly asking. There are some great college players who don't even stick with a pro team. And then there are mediocre college players who end up as stars. Courtney Paris bombed as a pro.

Would Plum be an All-Star as a freshman? Or does she come off the bench? Honestly asking for opinions.

Say what?

Reaction Score
If you remember a couple of years ago, Jewel Lloyd never at any point in her Jr. season mentioned coming out early, until she did. KMitch hasn't said a word about it, but she sees the WCBB landscape, she knows she has no shot at a Natty and because of the team she plays on and the talent they have coming back, no shot at breaking Plum's career scoring record. Unless she just wants to be a Senior at tOSU, which does have some pull if you're an Ohioan like she is, I really don't see any reason for her to come back.
Who are the realistic first round WNBA-eligible propects who actually did come back for a final NCAA year??

Reaction Score
If I was a WNBA GM I would stay as far away from DD as possible. She is a low percentage shooter, hi turnover, and very streaky.
Compare her to other #1's: Stewart, Moore, EDD, Charles ......

If I am the Stars GM I am thinking "big" .... I have Mo and Mac. I like Maryland's Jones more than Coates. And there are some really nice forwards in the draft .... Coffey, SWK. It's a weak draft. I might trade the #1 for a shot at next year's (Wilson, Turner etc) and a lower pick this year.

Reaction Score
We'll very quickly see how well Plum's game translates to the WNBA, where athleticism is the premium. I think she'll find scoring a bit more difficult, like she did against the Cuse in last year's FF.

This discussion reminds me a bit of some the reservations that were expressed about Rachel Banham, another prolific scorer in college ( not as much as Plum of course) but whose athleticism was widely questioned. Does anyone here have the knowledge to compare Plum's game to Banham's, and weigh in on whether this is a legitimate concern for Plum as well?

Reaction Score

I was referring to his post about Saniya.

I think Plum will fit in with the right WNBA team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom