CBS WNBA Mock Draft | Page 3 | The Boneyard

CBS WNBA Mock Draft

Reaction Score
I guess others see that in her, but I don't. She is the best athlete on TENN but that isn't saying much. I think there are so many great athletes in the WNBA that she won't be dominant in that way.

If you watched her at a game (preferably as close to courtside as possible) then I think you'd change your mind.

She's like Gabby and Kimbrough-Walker- you have to see her play up close to really appreciate her.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Plum certainly isn't an elite athlete. She is in the best shape of her career this season and is noticeably quicker w/ a little extra bounce in her step. But her game isn't predicated on quickness, she's very crafty and deceptive. She has no trouble getting past defenders even without blow by speed.

I don't know how she'll do as a pro. We'll have to wait and see. I think of a couple other players who aren't elite athletes but are among the best female basketball players in the world--Diana Taurasi and Elena Delle Donne. Athleticism isn't everything, having a high skill level is also important.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I guess others see that in her, but I don't. She is the best athlete on TENN but that isn't saying much. I think there are so many great athletes in the WNBA that she won't be dominant in that way.
She may not dominate, but her athleticism is competitive with the best. Maya is a stud, but she needs more than her athleticism to success at the pro level. I'm not a big Diamond fan; I rate her an A in athleticism, a C in basketball IQ, and a C- in consistent effort.

Reaction Score
Another vote for San Antonio taking Plum first. DeShields CAN be very good, but too inconsistent. She has stated that she wants to be the first pick, so she probably comes out this year, as Aja Wilson, barring unforeseen circumstances, will almost certainly be the first pick next year.

I would take Gabby over Aja.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
This discussion reminds me a bit of some the reservations that were expressed about Rachel Banham, another prolific scorer in college ( not as much as Plum of course) but whose athleticism was widely questioned. Does anyone here have the knowledge to compare Plum's game to Banham's, and weigh in on whether this is a legitimate concern for Plum as well?
Banham suffered two ACL tears at MN, that took away some of her athleticism, she's also bigger than Plum. She was basically a non-factor for the Sun, playing barely 10 minutes per game on a team that didn't really have great guard play. I only saw a couple of Sun games and she didn't play in either game I saw. It's difficult to compare player-to-player, but Plum's lack of athleticism could be a problem for her in the WNBA, it was for Jackie Stiles.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Who are the realistic first round WNBA-eligible propects who actually did come back for a final NCAA year??
Jewel Lloyd was the first underclassman to go after the WNBA changed its policy.

Reaction Score
Jewel Lloyd was the first underclassman to go after the WNBA changed its policy.
Jewel's situation was an age anomaly. But, anyway, she left. I can't think of any redshirt legit WNBA prospects who actually came back and played their last year of NCAA eligibility. ??

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Plum's lack of athleticism could be a problem for her in the WNBA, it was for Jackie Stiles.

It's been pointed out elsewhere Stiles had a nice rookie year. A series of injuries derailed her career.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Plum's game translate well to the W - no she isn't the most athletic but like DT she is very smart and dedicated to her game. She will benefit greatly from not being the primary/only weapon on her team as a pro. She is faster than KML, and has a much more developed floor game. Defensively she may be a bit of a liability to start with, but not anywhere near the issues that a lot of players will have in suddenly being expected to defend. I could see SA taking her #1 since I think their likely post/forward prospects should still be available with later picks.

It is not an inspiring collection of bigs and I am intrigued by the one no one has mentioned - Russell at TN. You see flashes of the skill that made her the #1 in this class, but whether a good organization and coach can bring that back is anyone's guess. (A similar question re Graves from last year - I hope she is working in Europe and can make another try for a roster spot.)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
But you do think that she should be a high pick. Sorry for getting into the touchy subject of food! ;)

I think she's one of the top two seniors in Wcbb. Hoping she ends up in Dallas

Reaction Score
If you watched her at a game (preferably as close to courtside as possible) then I think you'd change your mind.

She's like Gabby and Kimbrough-Walker- you have to see her play up close to really appreciate her.
Maybe so, and maybe I'm letting my dislike of her attitude cloud my judgment of her athletic skills. But my imagination is not good enough to put her in the same class as Gabby.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Jewel's situation was an age anomaly. But, anyway, she left. I can't think of any redshirt legit WNBA prospects who actually came back and played their last year of NCAA eligibility. ??
It wasn't an anomaly, that's the WNBA rule. A player that is 22 years old prior to the start of the WNBA season is eligible for the draft in that season. Lloyd met the criteria, just like Amanda Zahui B from Minnesota. While Lloyd had nothing left to prove in college, Zahui B should have stayed in school, as every analyst with a brain said she should.

Reaction Score
It wasn't an anomaly, that's the WNBA rule. A player that is 22 years old prior to the start of the WNBA season is eligible for the draft in that season. Lloyd met the criteria, just like Amanda Zahui B from Minnesota. While Lloyd had nothing left to prove in college, Zahui B should have stayed in school, as every analyst with a brain said she should.
I get why Loyd was able to leave. My point is she did leave. Piph left for Europe before she was 22. Not what I'm interested in. My question is who (besides Monique Currie) stayed? Does that really happen much? Does anyone who's WNBA-ready really stay? (Particularly redshirts with degrees - not "early 22" juniors who don't graduate)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I guess it's relative.....

14.9 ppg and rookie of the year. Doesn't seem like lack of athleticism was holding her back. What's relative about that?

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
14.9 ppg and rookie of the year. Doesn't seem like lack of athleticism was holding her back. What's relative about that?
2000 ROY Betty Lennox averaged 17 ppg and 2002 ROY Tamika Catchings averaged 18.9 ppg, so relative to the performances of the players that won the award immediately before and after her and the careers they had.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I get why Loyd was able to leave. My point is she did leave. Piph left for Europe before she was 22. Not what I'm interested in. My question is who (besides Monique Currie) stayed? Does that really happen much? Does anyone who's WNBA-ready really stay? (Particularly redshirts with degrees - not "early 22" juniors who don't graduate)

I'm hoping that both Lexie Brown and Rebecca Greenwell decide to come back for their senior seasons. Both will graduate in May

Reaction Score
Russell is a tantalizing prospect, but I haven't seen much conjecture on her coming out. From what little I've seen, she's not very fast or quick, and her running gait looks a bit strange. Still, she is 6-6.

Reaction Score
This seems like a relatively weak draft. Coates as #3? Good, not great, player whose ability to stay in shape debatable. If I was a marginal #1 choice, would come out this year, not wait a year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
2000 ROY Betty Lennox averaged 17 ppg and 2002 ROY Tamika Catchings averaged 18.9 ppg, so relative to the performances of the players that won the award immediately before and after her and the careers they had.

Moving target? She only played 2 years. She was productive as a rookie. It wasn't lack of athleticism (your original premise), it was injuries that ended her career. Even if she averaged less pts/game than the ROY the year before and the year after her, scoring 15/game is a significant contribution in the WNBA. Don't see how you can possibly try to spin that otherwise. Maybe you could just admit you were wrong when you said Stiles wasn't athletic enough to make it in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping that both Lexie Brown and Rebecca Greenwell decide to come back for their senior seasons. Both will graduate in May
Good luck with that. Realistically, what do you think the chances of the both coming back are? I say 10% X 10% = 1%. But even if each one was 50/50 it would just be 25% for both

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom