CBS: Expansion to 14 by ACC thus week, unlikely to 16 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

CBS: Expansion to 14 by ACC thus week, unlikely to 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love the guys on the WV board. Eeerlaw a couple of days ago claimed that Louisville knew they had the votes and were option #1 and that is why they were giving the Big XII an ultimatum. This morning he is claiming the "most" teams in the ACC are against UL. Do they forget what they have already posted?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I love the guys on the WV board. Eeerlaw a couple of days ago claimed that Louisville knew they had the votes and were option #1 and that is why they were giving the Big XII an ultimatum. This morning he is claiming the "most" teams in the ACC are against UL. Do they forget what they have already posted?

That is funny.

Reaction Score
Don't you guys read the WVU board? The new "Dude of UConn" has UConn and SDSU going to the big 12 with Duke and UNC.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A Houston fan on another board (CSNbbs) says we are the pick, heard from " a major network source." So la de da.

He later confirmed that he has personally heard this from a major network source, and he is as well-regarded as anyone else over there. I don't really follow internet poster reputations, but I choose to believe him.

This Houston fan post feels like another "inside scoop" from a fan that was spinning a tale of BS that is the best case scenario for his school. Houston wants Louisville and Cincinnati to stay in the Big East.

I think 3 schools are still a possibility. It is the smart move, upgrades the ACC in football while getting them some new markets for TV, and is a relatively cheap move by ESPN. I think ESPN will enable the ACC to catch up with the other leagues by guaranteeing minimum Tier 3 content for each school, and letting those schools sell their own Tier 3. This could net FSU another $10MM/year.

Reaction Score
UConn is respected on this board. Surf other boards and you realize just how disrespected/ignored we are. We can crow about our benefits to the ACC all we want, in the end wer are not making the decision.
I've come to realize that nobody is respected in conference realignment except a few very select schools. When you have fans of schools like Perdue, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, and Syracuse of all places, making judgements you have to realize these comments are baseless cheap shots and not representative of the conference decision makers.

On a related note, the fact that schools like FSU and Clemson lost again this weekend takes away their podium to vent about how expansion needs to focus on fb... Had FSU beaten Florida to go 11-1, they would have a better case... But now they are 10-2, out of the national discussion, and once again proven that they are second tier to the SEC.

Reaction Score
How much is UConn hurt by the fact that they have a FB coach that had already been embalmed?

Probably not that much since his team beat the hot shot of the year who coaches Louisville...

Reaction Score
On a related note, the fact that schools like FSU and Clemson lost again this weekend takes away their podium to vent about how expansion needs to focus on fb... Had FSU beaten Florida to go 11-1, they would have a better case... But now they are 10-2, out of the national discussion, and once again proven that they are second tier to the SEC.
Here's the argument I heard: Yeah, but that's because they play an ACC schedule. Of course, if they played an SEC schedule they'd be 8-4...

Reaction Score
Hearing Memphis to either the Big 12 or the ACC. Fred Thompson is offering up to $50 Million in capital investments to each member institution.

Reaction Score
Can someone please dangle that piece of information out there so that MHVer3 and The Dude can disseminate?

Reaction Score

Link?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn is respected on this board. Surf other boards and you realize just how disrespected/ignored we are. We can crow about our benefits to the ACC all we want, in the end wer are not making the decision.
but fortunately neither are the idiots on other boards. University presidents will be making this decision and they won't be basing it on the opinion Jim Nantz's 2nd cousin's gardener. They will be basing their decision on measureable metric and the vast majority of those metrics favor UConn.

Reaction Score
but fortunately neither are the idiots on other boards. University presidents will be making this decision and they won't be basing it on the opinion Jim Nantz's 2nd cousin's gardener. They will be basing their decision on measureable metric and the vast majority of those metrics favor UConn.

The only thing that's relevant here is how low a school is willing to go to admit athletes.

Otherwise, I don't think the Presidents care. I think they do care about losing games to teams with a bunch of ringers. That's the only thing that's relevant.

But then again, Miami, Florida St., Clemson, North Carolina--do these schools take guys not fit for the rest of the university? I know Virginia Tech does.

Reaction Score
The only thing that's relevant here is how low a school is willing to go to admit athletes.

Otherwise, I don't think the Presidents care. I think they do care about losing games to teams with a bunch of ringers. That's the only thing that's relevant.

But then again, Miami, Florida St., Clemson, North Carolina--do these schools take guys not fit for the rest of the university? I know Virginia Tech does.

Everybody takes kids that are not otherwise "fit" for the rest of the University. And by everyone I mean including the Patriot League, the Ivy League and NESCAC. The question isn't if they will lower their normal academic standards -- the question is by how much.

Reaction Score
Everybody takes kids that are not otherwise "fit" for the rest of the University. And by everyone I mean including the Patriot League, the Ivy League and NESCAC. The question isn't if they will lower their normal academic standards -- the question is by how much.

Yup. But--you know what I meant. Who makes a practice out of it. This is the only reason why anyone would ever be concerned about academics in an athletic conference. I mean, how does this conversation even take place among Presidents with UNC's interim guy sitting at the table? Does he pipe up? Or keep quiet?

I imagine the Virginia and Duke Presidents holding forth on this issue, but do they look FSU and VT in the eye when they are talking?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Everybody takes kids that are not And by everyone I mean including the Patriot League, the Ivy League and NESCAC. The question isn't if they will lower their normal academic standards -- the question is by how much.

I'll always remember talking to an "Iron Duke" in the parking lot at the Tampa Final Four. I knew he was an Iron Duke because he made sure to mention it often. That and the licence plate holder. And the window sticker. He said each team at Duke was allowed one player wouldn't otherwise "fit" for the rest of the University. "That's why we can never get a decent tailback" he explained.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
When fans start making multimillion dollar decisions we're all doomed. That applies to this or other forums.

Reaction Score

What Upstater really means is: "Nobody is as academically pure as Penn State, Penn State does it the right way, every day".

I went to a school that was essentially a southern version of the NESCAC. We did exactly as you said and the school ended up being better off for it. The whole "Academic Snobbery" aspect ticks me off a little. You either qualify or you don't.

I remember in High School I had classmates that couldn't score well on the SAT to save their lives. Their parents spent big money on Princeton Review and manufacturing "learning disabilities" to take untimed SATs. These are the inside tricks of the straight teeth and SUV crowd. Not every kid gets every advantage and "special consideration" like that.

Also, had a classmate who was a freakishly good at squashl, but if you looked at his grades and his SATs you might think he was dumber than a surf board (he wasn't). Well, a certain Ivy League school snapped him up and didn't think twice. If his skin were a different color, some people might say that he was "unift for the rest of the U" however since it wasn't he just "hasn't peaked yet academicall". Everybody will make exceptions when it comes to something important to them.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What Upstater really means is: "Nobody is as academically pure as Penn State, Penn State does it the right way, every day".

I went to a school that was essentially a southern version of the NESCAC. We did exactly as you said and the school ended up being better off for it. The whole "Academic Snobbery" aspect ticks me off a little. You either qualify or you don't.

I remember in High School I had classmates that couldn't score well on the SAT to save their lives. Their parents spent big money on Princeton Review and manufacturing "learning disabilities" to take untimed SATs. These are the inside tricks of the straight teeth and SUV crowd. Not every kid gets every advantage and "special consideration" like that.

Also, had a classmate who was a freakishly good at squashl, but if you looked at his grades and his SATs you might think he was dumber than a surf board (he wasn't). Well, a certain Ivy League school snapped him up and didn't think twice. If his skin were a different color, some people might say that he was "unift for the rest of the U" however since it wasn't he just "hasn't peaked yet academicall". Everybody will make exceptions when it comes to something important to them.
And everybody will pretend otherwise!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
"straight teeth and SUV crowd"... aka soccer moms?

Reaction Score

Good game this week against UW.

Reaction Score
"straight teeth and SUV crowd"... aka soccer moms?

Soccer Moms might be too plebian of a term. I'm not against people giving themselves every advantage they can, I'm just saying that things are not always as they seem.

Reaction Score
I have a friend who at one time was an assistant hockey coach at a certain Ivy League school that takes its reputation for snobbery pretty seriously...not Yale or Princeton seriously because it knows it is better than those two, but seriously none the less. The stories he told about kids he would recruit were quite enlightening. They recruited a Canadian forward from Northern Quebec who barely spoke English and justified it as an international student. He's the one who used to say "at Harvard, we based all finacial aid on need. If we need a goalie and you are a good one, we'll get you the financial aid.

My daughter is a former athlete at a NESCAC school and she has been getting bombarded with emails from their equivalent of the UCONN club asking to petition the the board of Trustees to start allowing more flexibility on the football side of things since they are tired of losing to their ancient rival and tired of watching Trinity who is far more flexible win all the time...

Reaction Score
I have a friend who at one time was an assistant hockey coach at a certain Ivy League school that takes its reputation for snobbery pretty seriously...not Yale or Princeton seriously because it knows it is better than those two, but seriously none the less. The stories he told about kids he would recruit were quite enlightening. They recruited a Canadian forward from Northern Quebec who barely spoke English and justified it as an international student. He's the one who used to say "at Harvard, we based all finacial aid on need. If we need a goalie and you are a good one, we'll get you the financial aid.

My daughter is a former athlete at a NESCAC school and she has been getting bombarded with emails from their equivalent of the UCONN club asking to petition the the board of Trustees to start allowing more flexibility on the football side of things since they are tired of losing to their ancient rival and tired of watching Trinity who is far more flexible win all the time...

Williams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog