CBS: Expansion to 14 by ACC thus week, unlikely to 16 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

CBS: Expansion to 14 by ACC thus week, unlikely to 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Think we are in the driver's seat if the report is accurate (though personally i don't trust this writer).

1. UConn has already been vetted by the ACC. We were supposed to be team #14 after SU.

2. ACC always touts its academics, so what will their justification be for adding Louisville, an institution that is not even in the ballpark with the ACCs weakest academic schools? UConn and UL are fairly similar in many respects (facilities, commitment to Olympic sports, basketball). They might have a slightly stronger football program, but we have better Academics, TV Market, Geography and the dominant program in the NCAA's third most covered sport (women's basketball).

3. BC and Miami has taught the ACC that good teams in football can become bad quickly and vice versa.

4. B1G expanded based on TV markets. ACC expanded the last time based on TV markets (and to a degree Academics). Why would they completely change this strategy to add a school that is marginally more accomplished in football than UConn?

Only way I see UL getting in is if schools like FSU and Clemson threaten to leave the conference if UL is not added, but I just don't think UL is that respected a football program where FSU and Clemson's presidents would cause that type of stir.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Mitch McConnell apparently has done a lot of lobbying for Louisville on a lot of fronts as well.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
A Houston fan on another board (CSNbbs) says we are the pick, heard from " a major network source." So la de da.

He later confirmed that he has personally heard this from a major network source, and he is as well-regarded as anyone else over there. I don't really follow internet poster reputations, but I choose to believe him.

Reaction Score
Think we are in the driver's seat if the report is accurate (though personally i don't trust this writer).

1. UConn has already been vetted by the ACC. We were supposed to be team #14 after SU.

2. ACC always touts its academics, so what will their justification be for adding Louisville, an institution that is not even in the ballpark with the ACCs weakest academic schools? UConn and UL are fairly similar in many respects (facilities, commitment to Olympic sports, basketball). They might have a slightly stronger football program, but we have better Academics, TV Market, Geography and the dominant program in the NCAA's third most covered sport (women's basketball).

3. BC and Miami has taught the ACC that good teams in football can become bad quickly and vice versa.

4. B1G expanded based on TV markets. ACC expanded the last time based on TV markets (and to a degree Academics). Why would they completely change this strategy to add a school that is marginally more accomplished in football than UConn?

Only way I see UL getting in is if schools like FSU and Clemson threaten to leave the conference if UL is not added, but I just don't think UL is that respected a football program where FSU and Clemson's presidents would cause that type of stir.

Plus the UConn fans in the room who are voting can just say to FSU and Clemson, you mean that UL football team that just lost at home to UConn :)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I keep hoping that it is all 3. Just 1 team both a) introduces the risk it isn't UConn, and b) feels like the ACC is no better off than the Big East.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Mitch McConnell apparently has done a lot of lobbying for Louisville on a lot of fronts as well.

Good. Did he make it his "top priority"? I hope so. He's got a pretty bad track record with those.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think there's a couple things at play with UL fans and some of the media. For one thing UL has been more hyped this season, earlier it looked like the season was setting up to possibly have Rutgers and UL undefeated at the end of the season. The lack of recent success in the Pasqualoni era has hurt UConn's perception after the BCS appearance under Edsall (some UConn fans think the fact that we backed into the Fiesta and didn't acquit ourselves well is a factor, I think that's far enough in the past that it's not the main thing shaping perception. Plus if you look at the tape, there was a point in the 4th quarter where if ZF could have managed to drive and get a TD, we would have been down only 7 and who knows.... but I digress).

But on top of that, you have to consider that Louisville is a Southern school. Okay, being on the Ohio river they aren't as quite southern as other states but that seems to be the cultural fit coming into play. IMHO that is the real reason FSU and Clemson want Louisville over another northern team which will shift the political balance further away from them. Maybe FSU and Clemson think that having less southern membership hurts their recruiting (I think that's BS). I think UL's quote-unquote football prowess is 50% based on potential, not real achievement, and 50% code for southern-ness.

Everyone is forgetting Louisville's one trump card which cannot be overcome...they've got Johnny Unitas and nobody else does! His statute stands proudly outside of their Pizza Bowl Stadium. JohnnyU and pizza? Fuhgeddaboutit! The Cards are an ACC lock...:cool:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
i am new, but there must be jokes on this board that i do not get. sorry for asking dumb questions. just wondering . . .
Their should be a post explaining the jokes in about 20 minutes.

Reaction Score
This series of posts is the Xanax thread. I'll go out on a limb here. Do any of you seriously think that Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, UVA, BCU (yes, those guys), NC State, GT, VT or even Clemson want UL. Outside of FSU and Miami I cannot think of any no votes for us. In fact, if Miami is rational, they wouldn't not vote for us either. UConn gets offered, 9-2 with positive vibes from both SU and Pitt. There is no way that UL could possibly get 9 votes from the ACC's current make up unless Papa John promises free pizza for all ACC fans for life.

This.

Right here is a response that should end this thread. Try to hypethetically count 75% of the ACC vote for Louisville, from what you hear online. You can't, you just can't. We can talk about Clemson and FSU all day being in Louisville's court, but until there are another 5-7 schools, it will not matter.

Reaction Score
You really need to stop the madness. We ARE going to the ACC
(90‰ chance) or the B1G (10% chance).

Take it to the bank. Absolutely a done deal.

I won't say I have sources but.....well I do.

You just gotta believe.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
You really need to stop the madness. We ARE going to the ACC
(90‰ chance) or the B1G (10% chance).

Take it to the bank. Absolutely a done deal.

I won't say I have sources but.....well I do.

You just gotta believe.

Conspiracy kitty? Or neighbor's dog Sam?

Reaction Score
You guys should listen to SportsArt.

If you think about it, the ACC is probably looking to make a series of announcements or one announcement about expansion. They will announce UConn once they decide what else needs to be added if they decide to do that.

They could decide to change their minds, which would be crazy. But that would signify some sort of major shift and there would be nothing Herbst or UConn could do in that event.

My hunch is that they are trying to figure out how to get Louisville in there too.

If there is an invite to UConn, then it is backchannel or unofficial. It will be awkward and ugly, behind closed doors if it is retracted.

Reaction Score
A Houston fan on another board (CSNbbs) says we are the pick, heard from " a major network source." So la de da.

He later confirmed that he has personally heard this from a major network source, and he is as well-regarded as anyone else over there. I don't really follow internet poster reputations, but I choose to believe him.

His source must be Jim Nantz - a Houston Alum.

Reaction Score
If the ACC ever does disintegrate, the B1G will be the next move.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How much is UConn hurt by the fact that they have a FB coach that had already been embalmed?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
How much is UConn hurt by the fact that they have a FB coach that had already been embalmed?
If we manage to beat Cincy we will have won three in a row over better regarded teams. If P was embalmed... perhaps now he's a mummy come back to life.

Reaction Score
Who still be a fball Superpower this past Sat.

Hopefully Suzy is able to get past this hiccup.

Hopefully for all of us that clown Manuel is nowhere near these discussions.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

That depends who you ask. If ancient Egyptians were in charge of conference realignment, UConn would be in the SEC and guaranteed a spot in the NCG every year regardless of record.

Reaction Score
UConn is respected on this board. Surf other boards and you realize just how disrespected/ignored we are. We can crow about our benefits to the ACC all we want, in the end wer are not making the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom