CBB coach Mt. Rushmore. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CBB coach Mt. Rushmore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tyler Olander has 2 more rings than Jalen Rose, so Jalen’s opinion is meaningless.
Plus Jalen Rose choked a 3-0 lead with Molly Qerim, so his judgment is suspect.

Reaction Score
If you're going to put Wooden on your list you'll have to recognize the Helms banners as legit as national titles

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If you're going to put Wooden on your list you'll have to recognize the Helms banners as legit as national titles
Why? I understand it was a different era, with less teams in the NCAA field, but it was still the “NCAA Championship”. His regular season accomplishments + the players he produced probably are good enough to qualify him for this without even taking into account his National Titles…

Also interestingly, Wooden and Calhoun’s careers overlapped with Wooden winning his final 2 titles after Calhoun started coaching at Northeastern.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Every coach that has won more than one title.

Wooden, K, JC and Smith I bumped Roy because he basically inherited Dean Smith's franchise, then I'd go with Knight over Roy for overall impact to their program and CBB. If Roy won his 3 at Kansas then he's #4.

The better question is what it you limit it to the 64+ team era >1985. K, JC, and who? Roy Williams is probably next in line here. The four isn't as obvious as none dominated for very long or without asterisks ('sup Pitino/Cal). It's probably Izzo as Donovan and Wright's peaks were much shorter. Do you pick the 'picker with Melo and the multiple final fours? (No.) If you don't require at least one championship, then are you down to Mark Few, Huggy Bear?

List of national championship wins by coach​

CoachNational titlesMost recentRunner-up finishes
John Wooden1019750
Mike Krzyzewski520154
Adolph Rupp419581
Roy Williams320173
Jim Calhoun320110
Bob Knight319870
Denny Crum219860
Billy Donovan220071
Henry Iba219461
Ed Jucker219621
Branch McCracken219530
Dean Smith219933
Phil Woolpert219560
Jay Wright220180
Rick Pitino22013*1

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I bumped Roy because he basically inherited Dean Smith's franchise
After Guthridge and Doherty had some time to mess it up.

If Huggy and Few are gonna get mentions, I would easily put Lute Olson ahead of either of them. More Final 4's and actually won a Title.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
How would anyone react today if they were told URI over the next quarter century will have performed arguably as well as any school has over that time frame, have three national tiles, have spent multiple weeks in many different seasons ranked #1 with a number of elite eight and sweet sixteen appearances in years they didn't win it all? That's pretty much what the reaction in May 1986 would have been if someone predicted what we ended up accomplishing by May 2011.

Yes, every coach who has reached the heights of a national title warrants praise for the accomplishment. I just personally believe that what was accomplished by a coach that took over an established, top tier program needs to be discounted, slightly or vastly, depending on the situation, in comparison to what Jim Calhoun accomplished.

Those who weren't around (and college basketball fans) during the years before we hired Jim Calhoun cannot fully appreciate what he accomplished.

Reaction Score
I posted a similar thread about the Mt. RUSHMORE of CBB players last year, but this one seems like more fun.
Which 4 coaches do you put on your Mt Rushmore?

Do you go by wins and include JB and Huggins? (I know you don't, but why not?)

Do you go by stature, despite some...errr...transgressions? (B.Knight)

Or do you go by Wins, building a program and Natties? (Ummm...JC)

Obviously there are more to consider than these (Cal, Wooden, K, Dean Smith, etc.)

Have fun and play nice
Wooden, K, Smith and Calhoun.

Reaction Score
How would anyone react today if they were told URI over the next quarter century will have performed arguably as well as any school has over that time frame, have three national tiles, have spent multiple weeks in many different seasons ranked #1 with a number of elite eight and sweet sixteen appearances in years they didn't win it all? That's pretty much what the reaction in May 1986 would have been if someone predicted what we ended up accomplishing by May 2011.

Yes, every coach who has reached the heights of a national title warrants praise for the accomplishment. I just personally believe that what was accomplished by a coach that took over an established, top tier program needs to be discounted, slightly or vastly, depending on the situation, in comparison to what Jim Calhoun accomplished.

Those who weren't around (and college basketball fans) during the years before we hired Jim Calhoun cannot fully appreciate what he accomplished.
Thats a pretty cool perspective to take. My dad who graduated in '72 tells me stories about going to see games in the old field house and how janky it was. Must be weird for any uconn grad who witnessed the pre Calhoun days.

Reaction Score
It’s obviously Wooden, Calhoun, Knight and K. There are no other choices.

Reaction Score
I'd switch Kotite out for Norman Dale.
It's indicative of that team seeing how Kotite is probably the coach that comes to mind first when mentioning JETS HC's. That's who I think of immediately. Poor guy. But...a Wagner grad nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom