CB Jordan Swann to transfer... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CB Jordan Swann to transfer...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We were physically overmatched at every position on defense because we had an FCS roster. Did you see what Missouri’s WR’s did to our DB’s?
Funny you mention this game because I happen to go back and rewatch the first quarter while working out today. Our DBs were shredded in that game, nothing to do with strategy, just shear lack of strength and to some extend skill. In the first quarter more than half of Mizzou’s yardage was after we missed a tackle. Strength was a big issue, we were not strong enough. Opposing WR just pushed us aside. And in that Mizzou game Swann was repeatedly torched.

Reaction Score
If the opponent throws 40-50 times a game - more important than ever to get push up the middle and edge rush.

If the front wall doesn’t neutralize the OLine then you have just that - guards taking on DBs on running plays and screens. I don’t know what you were watching last year but we were consistently physically overmatch on blocks and on tackles.

I think you need to watch again. And that’s the whole point of screens, to get a linemen on someone in the secondary in any defense: 4-3, 3-3-5, 5-2, 4-4, 3-4 - does not matter.

The front wall is supposed to neutralize the offense in every single defensive scheme.

The only thing you are right about as that we consistently got destroyed. But if you actually watched the games, you would know it wasn’t our d line that was getting destroyed, it was our linebackers and secondary displaying the worst attempt at angles and tackling that I have ever seen.

C

Chief00

I think you need to watch again. And that’s the whole point of screens, to get a linemen on someone in the secondary in any defense: 4-3, 3-3-5, 5-2, 4-4, 3-4 - does not matter.

The front wall is supposed to neutralize the offense in every single defensive scheme.

The only thing you are right about as that we consistently got destroyed. But if you actually watched the games, you would know it wasn’t our d line that was getting destroyed, it was our linebackers and secondary displaying the worst attempt at angles and tackling that I have ever seen.

I saw the games. What you miss is whose doing the tackling. In a well functioning defense the majority of the tackle attempts should be by the front 7.
In any sport - you put your talent at the point of attack or up the middle. In an earlier post in another thread I broke down for the Casual Fan how because of our scheme Foley was almost always doubled team and effectively taken out of the game. We should have moved him around more and played more guys at the point of attack which would made doubling Foley more difficult. Thus, freeing up our most talented player.
There are other nuances I could break down for you on how our defense was not optimal and dysfunctional but I will start with this principle. I hope this helps.
The Best, Chief

Reaction Score
I saw the games. What you miss is whose doing the tackling. In a well functioning defense the majority of the tackle attempts should be by the front 7.
In any sport - you put your talent at the point of attack or up the middle. In an earlier post in another thread I broke down for the Casual Fan how because of our scheme Foley was almost always doubled team and effectively taken out of the game. We should have moved him around more and played more guys at the point of attack which would made doubling Foley more difficult. Thus, freeing up our most talented player.
There are other nuances I could break down for you on how our defense was not optimal and dysfunctional but I will start with this principle. I hope this helps.
The Best, Chief

You really need to stick to your Bunkey gimmick on the hoops board. Your act does not play well here.

Reaction Score
The Best, Chief

Yeah, I would watch the games again. You lack even a casual understanding of the game. I say this honestly, if you want me to help you understand defenses I would be happy to answer any of your questions. You seem to be struggling with defensive responsibilities. I want casual fans like you to get a better understanding of offenses and defenses because I think it will help you understand when you watch.

C

Chief00

Yeah, I would watch the games again. You lack even a casual understanding of the game. I say this honestly, if you want me to help you understand defenses I would be happy to answer any of your questions. You seem to be struggling with defensive responsibilities. I want casual fans like you to get a better understanding of offenses and defenses because I think it will help you understand when you watch.

In all due respect - no thanks.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I loved it when he lectured us.

“Yes, these times may change, but most of the time they don’t. The games will be at 11:11. Surprised more people don’t know this.”

And like a total coward, he clings to the Mizzou game kicking off at 11 CST as some sort of vindication. Pathetic.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I loved it when he lectured us.

“Yes, these times may change, but most of the time they don’t. The games will be at 11:11. Surprised more people don’t know this.”

Peak Chief was the game @Missouri that started at 11am Central was his proof.

Reaction Score
We were physically overmatched at every position on defense because we had an FCS roster. Did you see what Missouri’s WR’s did to our DB’s?
That first quarter for Swann was tough to watch.

C

Chief00

Ok. Offer stands if you ever want to learn about the game. Just ask. I’m assuming you would want to start with the basics.

LOL - wouldn’t I ask someone who had a clue? Like one of the coaches?

Reaction Score
Of the Top 25 listed by the NCAA last year in solo tackles....19 were linebackers and 6 were DB's.

Of the top 50 in Solo Tackles, all are LB's or DB's....

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am a firm believer in big, physical guys up front with some edge pass rushers, who move the line of scrimmage backwards.

Expecting DBs to consistently take on guards and then tackle running backs, who have a head of steam - achieve results like we saw last year. Crocker’s system won’t work at this level unless Edsall modifies it, as I understand he is trying to do by putting more big bodies up front.

We totally wasted Foley last year in predictable double teams because we did not move him around enough. If we had more guys who could make plays it wouldn’t have been so bad - but it was really bad DC work.

Almost every team in the NFL runs nickel for over half its plays. In college, you face even more spread offenses. The 3-3-5 isn't all that dramatic. It is simply a 3-4 that replaces an ILB with a corner. It may be a modification of what Crocker did, but I'm sure Edsall will adjust.

Now it's fair to ask if we have the personnel to run it properly, and the answer is probably not yet. Ideally you'd have a pretty big, run defense capable strong safety, big DEs, big, mobile OLBs who can set the edge, and corners who are good tacklers. Given Swann's challenges on the tackling side, he's not an ideal corner for this defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom