Cats | The Boneyard

Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Has anyone here had a blind cat? My cat is going blind. I guess my question is - how well can a blind cat get around?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
my friend had one who went blind at about 17 years old or so. she pretty much stayed in their bedroom which had the litter box in the bathroom and the food on the floor for her to find as well as her bed. if it happens slowly, they get used to it - not that it's ideal of course, but as long as they can find the food/water and litter box, they pretty much lay around...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A neighbor of ours had ablind cat. As Eric said, the gradual loss of vision helped the cat adjust well. Just keep the floors as clear as possible and don't move the furniture around and the cat should be OK.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
They get used to it surprisingly quickly. Good advice already. And, if you do move stuff, introduce the cat to the changed space.

Reaction Score
Has anyone here had a blind cat? My cat is going blind. I guess my question is - how well can a blind cat get around?
We had a dog go blind and he did very well. Follow the advice of all above and the cat should do fine.

Reaction Score
My sister had a deaf cat who adjusted quite nicely. My feeling is that the blind cat will, as well.

Reaction Score
We had a dog go blind and he did very well. Follow the advice of all above and the cat should do fine.

Yeah, my dog went blind. It went surprisingly well. When he got used to the house he could walk around without even bumping into anything and use the stairs with no problem.

Reaction Score
One of our cats has a congenital eye disease and has already lost one eye. We've prepared ourselves for the possibility that at some point we will have to have the other eye removed. From what everyone has told us, we expect she will do fine. It helps a lot that she has been in the house for a couple of years already and generally knows where things are. It helps that she will probably go blind slowly, so will get used to the idea of having things appear seemingly out of nowhere because of her limited vision. We've honestly been amazed at how well she has done with maybe 60% vision in only one eye, and figure she will do fine unless we move at some point in the future. That would be very hard, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom