Cast iron pan? | The Boneyard

Cast iron pan?

Reaction Score
Just a quick question before the talk is all basketball

Looking to get a cast iron pan, mostly for searing food cooked in a sous vide.

Do I need to spend 120+ or is the 25 cast iron Amazon pan sufficient? What’s the diff..besides the price

TIA

Reaction Score
The expensive ones might already be seasoned and maybe thicker but the cheaper ones are just fine

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
Lodge all the way. $125 is just marketing….you can season it even it comes “pre-seasoned”.

Reaction Score
Lodge pan is fine. The bougie cast irons are a waste of money.

Better yet, get one at a tag sale or a flea market. Strip it, season it, and you can use it forever. My cast iron pan is from 1926 passed down from my grandmother.

FWIW I don't love the stubbliness of the new cast iron pans (like Lodge) get because they're cast in sand. If you're really into cooking, sanding it down and reseasoning is the way to go.

Reaction Score

Do I need to spend 120+ or is the 25 cast iron Amazon pan sufficient? What’s the diff..besides the price

TIA
Lodge is the move here. How has your experience with sous vide been?

Reaction Score

Better yet, get one at a tag sale or a flea market. Strip it, season it, and you can use it forever. My cast iron pan is from 1926 passed down from my grandmother.

FWIW I don't love the stubbliness of the new cast iron pans (like Lodge) get because they're cast in sand. If you're really into cooking, sanding it down and reseasoning is the way to go.
I love having some of my grandparents old pans. Something really warm and comforting about it.

Reaction Score
I love having some of my grandparents old pans. Something really warm and comforting about it.

Plus one in each hand will scare aware most home intruders and/or Trick or Treaters.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

That's really cool, hopefully it'll see another 100 years.

Reaction Score
The cast iron is great, I saw quality ones at home goods last week for 18 dollars each. Key is to season it properly. I use vegteble oil but I have heard other people use differnet oils

Reaction Score

TIA
I’ve been cooking in my cheap CI pans for years. Don’t spend big money, it’s unecessary.

Reaction Score
I bought one at a flea market for our Vt house. Unfortunately here in Fla not so prevalent.

Reaction Score
Lodge is the move here. How has your experience with sous vide been?
I’ll let u know. Just starting. Seems really easy. But everyone says u need to seer the protein

Reaction Score
I work for a company that sells the expensive ones, don't bother. The cheaper ones work fine for any ordinary person

What is the actual difference? Sometimes a different shape or handle?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I have a couple of Lodge cast iron pieces - 12 inch skillet and a 12 quart Dutch oven. Both are about 25 years old. Been properly maintained over the years. Cook great.

Go with Lodge.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Go with Lodge. They will last forever and will not break the bank. Lodge also has carbon steel pans now which are great as well. A little less bulky than cast iron, but can be used the same way.

Keep some coarse salt on hand and a chain metal brush/scraper to clean your cast iron with. No need for soap. If you do use soap every once in awhile remember to season the pan again with a high smoke point oil.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom