Cast iron pan? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cast iron pan?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good advice here. Old, used > expensive new. Lodge is ok, but I don't love them. Heavy and not entirely smooth.

If you dislike the weight and have induction or gas (if you have normal electric, don't even bother) then a carbon steel pan could be a solution.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I’ll let u know. Just starting. Seems really easy. But everyone says u need to seer the protein
I sous vide pretty regularly and get the cast iron just about smoking to sear quickly. Works great if I am not finishing the meat over coals.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Just a quick question before the talk is all basketball

Looking to get a cast iron pan, mostly for searing food cooked in a sous vide.

Do I need to spend 120+ or is the 25 cast iron Amazon pan sufficient? What’s the diff..besides the price

TIA
Go to your nearby Goodwill/Thrift store and rummage through the cookware aisle. You will likely find a well seasoned pan for under $10. I routinely use the thrift stores for baking dishes, cookie tins and the like. If I bring a banana bread to someone's house I will bake it a $1 thrifted pyrex baking dish and leave the dish. Better than the $3.99 aluminum pans at the super. Same with cookie tins for Christmas cookies. Last week I made a paella for a small group and didn't have a pan so $3.99 later out of the thrift store I had what I needed. If you don't need it further you can always donate it back

Reaction Score
Heavy in a cast iron pan is good for the purposes of searing post sous vide, so a modern (more heavy) cast iron pan is good. It will retain and radiate more heat and not cool off when you add the protein, which is what you want. You want a quick, hard sear since the inside is already cooked.

I recommend pre-heating the pan in the oven before searing, because cast iron does not transfer heat to itself very easily and will form hot spots, so a more encapsulating heat source is good for the pre-heat. 500F.

I do recommend getting another lighter carbon or stainless steal skillet if you don't have one for other purposes which a heavy pan is less good for.

Reaction Score
What is the actual difference? Sometimes a different shape or handle?
Mostly just visual differences, sometimes a better shape/weight distribution. From my mostly uninformed opinion since I'm in a different business function and don't see the product up close much

Reaction Score
Just a quick question before the talk is all basketball

Looking to get a cast iron pan, mostly for searing food cooked in a sous vide.

Do I need to spend 120+ or is the 25 cast iron Amazon pan sufficient? What’s the diff..besides the price

TIA
didn't read this thread yet, but cooking is my passion. Any answer other than Le Creuset is wrong. The biggest issue with cast iron is how easily it can rust. Le Creuset has an enamel coating that prevents it. As a hater of pretty much everything, I give them a 5/5 rating. https://www.lecreuset.com/cookware/skillets-and-fry-pans

Edit: Lodge???? lmao

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
Mostly just visual differences, sometimes a better shape/weight distribution. From my mostly uninformed opinion since I'm in a different business function and don't see the product up close much
I will say the enameled cast iron does offer some nice options for adding color and character to the kitchen, but I do not know that it increases the function all that much. My wife always wanted the expensive enameled colorful cast iron but my old traditional cast iron does the job for me. She can keep her All Clad stainless and Hexclad pans, both of which are great for their various uses, I will continue hulking the old cast iron around.

Reaction Score
didn't read this thread yet, but cooking is my passion. Any answer other than Le Creuset is wrong. The biggest issue with cast iron is how easily it can rust. Le Creuset has an enamel coating that prevents it. As a hater of pretty much everything, I give them a 5/5 rating. https://www.lecreuset.com/cookware/skillets-and-fry-pans

Le Creuset rocks but it's also not worth the cost for a skillet. Cast iron alone does the same job and you can get one for 6$. I cook almost exclusively on all-clad but I have Le Creuset dutch oven and skillet, and an old cast iron. Steak tastes the same enameled or otherwise. Never had rust washing with soap and water, then leaving it to air dry.

Last edited:

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score

Le Creuset is great and yes the enameled coating does prevent rusting, but rust can be removed with some salt and elbow grease. Then just coat it in a high smoke point oil and toss it in the oven to bake a new protective coating. No more rust and back to brand new.

Reaction Score
Le Creuset rocks but it's also not worth the cost for a skillet. Cast iron alone does the same job and you can get one for 6$. I have Le Creuset, an old cast iron, and All-Clad. Steak tastes the same.
Just speaking from personal experience, I've had many lodge cast iron pans over the years... all currently residing in a dumpster. I've had my Le Creuset for over a decade now and its still pristine. I spent more on Lodge pans and throwing them out than I did on a single Le Creuset. Its worth the extra cash up front. Had a bad experience will All clad once the the non-stick coating started to wear. I'm willing to try the Gordan Ramsay Hex clad but haven't ponied up the cash yet.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
Just speaking from personal experience, I've had many lodge cast iron pans over the years... all currently residing in a dumpster. I've had my Le Creuset for over a decade now and its still pristine. I spent more on Lodge pans and throwing them out than I did on a single Le Creuset. Its worth the extra cash up front. Had a bad experience will All clad once the the non-stick coating started to wear. I'm willing to try the Gordan Ramsay Hex clad but haven't ponied up the cash yet.
The Hexclad are good as long as you take care of them. I bought my wife them to replace the non-stick pans she hated.

Reaction Score

There is no non-stick coating on all-clad. It's stainless steel.

Who buys multiple cast iron pans? Unless you're shooting the thing with something larger than a .308, there's nothing different. The issue with lodges is weight and the abrasiveness of the cooking surface (which is easily fixed).

Reaction Score

Who buys multiple cast iron pans? Unless you're shooting the thing with something larger than a .308, there's nothing different. The issue with lodges is weight and the abrasiveness of the cooking surface (which is easily fixed).
All clad has a non stick line and I don't recommend it

Reaction Score
All clad has a non stick line and I don't recommend it

Going non-stick anything was your problem. Fool's gold. Real All-Clad is more non-stick than anything as long as you let it get to temp.

Reaction Score
Going non-stick anything was your problem. Fool's gold. Real All-Clad is more non-stick than anything as long as you let it get to temp.
Preaching to the choir. In My defense they were a gift from my now ex so take that fwiw

Reaction Score

Only one of them got shot with a .308 and that was visiting friends in the great and free state of NH

Reaction Score
Heavy in a cast iron pan is good for the purposes of searing post sous vide, so a modern (more heavy) cast iron pan is good. It will retain and radiate more heat and not cool off when you add the protein, which is what you want. You want a quick, hard sear since the inside is already cooked.

I recommend pre-heating the pan in the oven before searing, because cast iron does not transfer heat to itself very easily and will form hot spots, so a more encapsulating heat source is good for the pre-heat. 500F.

I do recommend getting another lighter carbon or stainless steal skillet if you don't have one for other purposes which a heavy pan is less good for.
thx...I'm probably going to use the grill to heat the pan.

Reaction Score
What are you doing to these pans?

Are you keeping them soaking in water in the sink? For everyone else in this thread, don't do that.

Reaction Score
What are you doing to these pans?

Are you keeping them soaking in water in the sink? For everyone else in this thread, don't do that.
Never soaking them, if they get any residual water on them though (for instance leaving them in a dish rack to dry) they will rust. Not putting them away immediately and leaving them by the sink to dry with the rest of the dishes is the easiest way to ruin them. I bought my first cast iron when I was 21, now 36. if you want to treat a 30 dollar pan like its made of gold to maintain it, then go with the Lodge. If you have ever thought "gee I might mess this up" then go with the Le Creuset and don't worry about it.

edit: plus there is a skill to seasoning a cast iron pan even if it is marketed as "pre-seasoned". None of that matters spending the extra dough on Le Creuset

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom