Carrier Dome no more: Syracuse cancels lifetime naming contract | The Boneyard

Carrier Dome no more: Syracuse cancels lifetime naming contract

Reaction Score
I thought this was an Onion article when I saw it on Twitter, my goodness what a bad look for the school.. Sad..

Reaction Score
I thought this was an Onion article when I saw it on Twitter, my goodness what a bad look for the school.. Sad..
It was an outdated naming contract and they were loosing out on money for years. Carrier knew they were making out like bandits and it caused a rift between Syracuse and carrier. I think Syracuse even removed them from their media guide as a sponsor

Reaction Score
It was an outdated naming contract and they were loosing out on money for years. Carrier knew they were making out like bandits and it caused a rift between Syracuse and carrier. I think Syracuse even removed them from their media guide as a sponsor
Didn't know that, wild!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Carrier paid its money upfront. When you buy “lifetime“ naming rights it doesn’t mean until one party decides it doesn’t like the deal anymore. In my opinion Syracuse unilaterally stopping using the name Carrier Dome as in extortion tool to get Carrier to pony up more money was a really bad look for them.

But I’ll give them this, the name JMA Wireless Dome really rolls right off the tongue. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Carrier paid its money upfront. When you buy “lifetime“ naming rights it doesn’t mean until one party decides it doesn’t like the deal anymore. In my opinion Syracuse unilaterally stopping using the name Carrier Dome as in extortion tool to get Carrier to pony up more money was a really bad look for them.

But I’ll give them this, the name JMA Wireless Dome really rolls right off the tongue. :rolleyes:
The original contract was signed in 1979 before college athletics became the business it is today. The terms are severely outdated and has cost the athletic department tens of millions of dollars in revenue. Carrier should have renegotiated in good faith and restructured the deal to be more in line with today since the whole college athletic landscape has changed/evolved dramatically since 1979.

Syracuse was right to fund their own renovations and create a situation to say the new venue is no longer the same building and to get out of the deal they were in.

Back when the Dome was built, Carrier (then a local company) provided a $2.75 million gift in exchange for lifetime naming rights — one of the first deals of its kind at the collegiate level. Since then, sports has become much bigger business and rights like that could easily go for somewhere between $3 million and $5 million per year for a program like Syracuse.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The original contract was signed in 1979 before college athletics became the business it is today. The terms are severely outdated and has cost the athletic department tens of millions of dollars in revenue. Carrier should have renegotiated in good faith and restructured the deal to be more in line with today since the whole college athletic landscape has changed/evolved dramatically since 1979.

Syracuse was right to fund their own renovations and create a situation to say the new venue is no longer the same building and to get out of the deal they were in.

Back when the Dome was built, Carrier (then a local company) provided a $2.75 million gift in exchange for lifetime naming rights — one of the first deals of its kind at the collegiate level. Since then, sports has become much bigger business and rights like that could easily go for somewhere between $3 million and $5 million per year for a program like Syracuse.
Keep in mind that “$2.75 million gift“ was 10% of the original construction costs. It was sizable, back in the day. All that said, when you sell that naming rights for the lifetime of an arena, it means the lifetime of the arena, not some arbitrary shorter. Because you don’t like the deal you made anymore.

Note that Syracuse had to negotiate with carrier to get out of the deal. It wouldn’t surprise me if they ended up paying more to carrier than carrier paid for the rights in the first place.

In the end it comes down to institutional integrity. Syracuse decided it didn’t have any.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This post makes me think of the "Jump to Conclusions mat" from Office Space.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

So by this logic, anyone who purchased shares of Amazon in 1997 now owes Bezos a few thousand dollars per share.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

If the Cuse hierarchy decided at that point to enter a lifetime agreement - that sucks for them. It’s an agreement. Who the hell did they hire as a law firm to look over the contract? Probably a relative of the Picker. Carrier has no legal footings to feel compelled to renegotiate in good nature. Typical Cuse. Then again it could happen in Storrs with the UConn BOT that they have had in recent years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom