Caroline Conundrum | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Caroline Conundrum

Reaction Score

She definitely did a lot of very good things out there that were overlooked. 13 points on 5-11, 7 rebounds, 3 assists and a steal is a solid game. She is a very well trained and heady basketball player who moves as well without the ball as anyone we have seen recently. She has multiple offensive skills and at 6'2" is a very tough 3 to defend. Above all else, she is fearless.

Having said all that, I hope we look for her and get her the ball more on post ups underneath and cuts to the basket. We also know that she is still not all the way back. I think the turnovers are symptomatic of that but that it is just a layer of the onion that also has to be peeled away. It's coming, it's only December and she was hurt.

Even if this is as good as it gets with her, she would still be very valuable to the team and I am certain that she would win games for us. I am sure this is not the apogee for her though. She will continue to improve and now that her "game wind" is back thanks to Sunday in Maryland, I look forward to Florida State for her. She will come through just like she did last year. It's in her DNA. You can just tell.

Reaction Score
She definitely did a lot of very good things out there that were overlooked. 13 points on 5-11, 7 rebounds, 3 assists and a steal is a solid game. She is a very well trained and heady basketball player who moves as well without the ball as anyone we have seen recently. She has multiple offensive skills and at 6'2" is a very tough 3 to defend. Above all else, she is fearless.

Having said all that, I hope we look for her and get her the ball more on post ups underneath and cuts to the basket. We also know that she is still not all the way back. I think the turnovers are symptomatic of that but that it is just a layer of the onion that also has to be peeled away. It's coming, it's only December and she was hurt.

Even if this is as good as it gets with her, she would still be very valuable to the team and I am certain that she would win games for us. I am sure this is not the apogee for her though. She will continue to improve and now that her "game wind" is back thanks to Sunday in Maryland, I look forward to Florida State for her. She will come through just like she did last year. It's in her DNA. You can just tell.
Well said, BBallF, and thanks for those clips, Nan. Caroline will possibly be more TO prone than some others, but the positives well outweigh the negatives.

Two points from those videos:
Caroline hammering the stanchion after making that basket on the break spoke volumes to me about her level of frustration, passion and dedication to help the Huskies in any way she can.

For those who haven't seen her three-point shooting when she was in prep ball, note that three she made Sunday was from about five feet outside the arc. Some will tell her to move in, but she's got that range, and it will become more apparent as time goes on.

As you said, BBallF, 'it's in her DNA,' and the Huskies will again be the better for it.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I believe that in the 4th quarter, Caroline missed two of what I refer to as underhanded scoop shots, shots that she has made often before. I think that the reason for her misses is because she had to be mentally and physically tired at this point and because she was trying to draw a foul. I think this again shows her basketball awareness. If I recall correctly, one of those shots ended up being a TO and the other Aaliyah was able to score off of (I am not positive about this though).
I have to say, that IMO, Caroline played a helluva game!!! As did the other 6 players that played!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

I agree with everything you said. I would just like to add that in the Maryland game, she was playing more of a perimeter game due to the shortage of guards. When Ines was in, Caroline got to the basket more often. Hopefully Nika and Azzi return soon and Ines continues to improve so Caroline can get back to her natural position

Reaction Score
Simply not in game shape, physically or mentally.
She is a lot closer to physical game shape now after 39 minutes against Maryland. My guess is that the mental aspect will come along with the physical and that the physical, if she is not there already ( I agree that the turnovers are symptomatic of that), will come very quickly now. If you remember last year, she had some very poor games in December against Georgia Tech and Seton Hall and then suddenly 24 against Louisville. My point is that her game comes together rapidly because it is so good fundamentally. Listen, we need her big time right now and she knows what she needs to do. She is all business. I look for a lot from her on Sunday if we just get her the ball in the right spots.

Reaction Score
But Nan, the turnovers really hurt and many displayed a lack of basic basketball understanding. When trapped in the corner she simply could have thrown the ball of a competitors leg to get out of the trap. Basic stuff????

Reaction Score
I think Caroline is still struggling. 6 turnovers has got to be her record amount ever. I do sense that she is getting more up to speed though and making improvements physically. Her quickness isn't there yet but time will probably help.

Reaction Score
Pre-season I thought Durcharme had the second best chance of being an AA on the team behind Azzi. Clearly wrong.

For those who point to her turnovers being due to playing our of position or tiredness, how do you explain the turnovers in the first quarter with Bettencourt in the game?

At the end of last season Durcharme needed to improve her 3pt shooting % and reduce her turnovers. 8 games into this season and they are still things she needs to improve on.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I admit I decided not to read through this whole thread. Because it's awfully hard to judge players coming off an injury. You don't know the pain or uncertainty they feel when they try to do the things that used to do naturally.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
At the end of last season Durcharme needed to improve her 3pt shooting % and reduce her turnovers. 8 games into this season and they are still things she needs to improve on.
And what did she do when faced with that need? She spent a large part of her summer in bed and on crutches. Clearly she doesn't have the focus needed to improve. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I admit I decided not to read through this whole thread. Because it's awfully hard to judge players coming off an injury. You don't know the pain or uncertainty they feel when they try to do the things that used to do naturally.
I agree. She impressed me and I think the best is yet to come. It's early in the season yet.

Reaction Score
IMHO I feel Caroline Ducharme main problem is lack of practice and game time!
Between the hip and the neck too much valuable time was lost and she's now making up for the lost time!
Don't worry "cream always rises to the top" and she'll be fine with more minutes!
The off season and preseason are so important for a player!

Reaction Score
CD could have had a couple more layups. She was open cutting across the lane a few times but it would have required a precision pass. Ines didn't seem confident enough to try the pass but Nika would have. Ines will be fine with some more game experience.
Caroline is so very effective down low. They really need to figure out how to get her the ball there more often.

Reaction Score
I agree. She impressed me and I think the best is yet to come. It's early in the season yet.
I agree. I did rewatch the game and for big stretches she played well. I think I focused a bit too much on the negative because some of her turnovers seemed to come in bunches - 2 to start the game, and then 4 in like a 4 minute stretch in the forth quarter. So it kinda clouded my judgement regarding the other 30 plus minutes.

Reaction Score
But Nan, the turnovers really hurt and many displayed a lack of basic basketball understanding. When trapped in the corner she simply could have thrown the ball of a competitors leg to get out of the trap. Basic stuff????
Basic basketball understanding on these plays might include a coach calling TO if they have one, or a teammate or 2 recognizing whats happening and getting in a position to help or staying back so maybe there is an outlet pass. Maybe the old bounce it off the defenders leg doesn’t work because it doesn’t always work or maybe the player attempts to draw a foul against the aggressive defense is a better risk than the old bounce it off the defenders knee. I’m just not sure the player in question, the number 5 ranked player in her class, lacks basic basketball understanding. Kinda surprised you worded it like that.

Reaction Score
Yes because the most common use of kinesiotape on this team is to cover tattoos. Caroline wouldn't be the first to use it to cover a neck tattoo.
Caroline, is a talent, tough physically (when healthy) and mind. She showed in the second half of the MD game, she has GRIT. She is very much needed on this team Now and for the next 3 years. She, along with Paige and Azzi, and the new guys , shall drive coaches from the BE and other conference a fit. I can see the headlines ---UCONN IS BAD for WCBB-- Remember you saw that here FIRST (or last).

Reaction Score
I agree. I did rewatch the game and for big stretches she played well. I think I focused a bit too much on the negative because some of her turnovers seemed to come in bunches - 2 to start the game, and then 4 in like a 4 minute stretch in the forth quarter. So it kinda clouded my judgement regarding the other 30 plus minutes.
I guess I'm just to much of a Caroline fan to see the ERROR in judgment. Sometimes, your concentration is fixed . She's what? 19 20 years old? I've seen WNBA (highly paid in Europe) that made similar mistakes. Humans aren't machine, young humans even less so. That's why I'm in awe of these young talented women.
I've been guilty over the years of expecting these young ladies to be robots, same shot the same way always scoring. Or on defense, not allowing the next opponent score to occur.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Basic basketball understanding on these plays might include a coach calling TO if they have one, or a teammate or 2 recognizing whats happening and getting in a position to help or staying back so maybe there is an outlet pass. Maybe the old bounce it off the defenders leg doesn’t work because it doesn’t always work or maybe the player attempts to draw a foul against the aggressive defense is a better risk than the old bounce it off the defenders knee. I’m just not sure the player in question, the number 5 ranked player in her class, lacks basic basketball understanding. Kinda surprised you worded it like that.
The fact that Caroline was the #5 player in the class is irrelevant because the best player on either team (Shyanne Sellers) in that game was ranked several spots behind Caroline #22 by ESPN. Wether it was due to fatigue ( playing 39 minutes) or the nagging injuries or lack of ability or BBIQ the reality is Caroline made some uncharacteristic and costly mistake in the fourth quarter of the MD game. As far as the coaching staff calling a time out, UCONN was forced to use its last time out at the 4:20 mark of that quarter when Caroline made one of those mistake by picking up her dribble in the corner right in front of the UCONN bench. Despite the coaching staff calling that time out Caroline still managed to commit 4 turnovers in the 4th quarter and was tied up for a jump ball twice in that quarter as well. As far as her teammate moving towards her, they absolutely tried to do just that. Caroline had an open teammate on each of the possessions where she was trying to advance the ball and committed a turnover.
Fatigue was certainly a factor. Lack of ability was certainly a factor because Caroline does not have the ability to consistently advance the ball by changing hands or direction with the dribble when closely guarded. The the lack of basketball understanding is applicable because Caroline attempted to do this unsuccessfully several times in that quarter. Better basketball understanding would dictate a) That you recognize your individual BB limitations b) don't repeat the same mistake in a pressure situation c) rely on your teammate that has that skill set that you are clearly lacking. Quite candidly Caroline should have been ,at best case, the 4th UCONN option for advancing the ball in the 4th quarter of that game.
Now before some of you try and start to clap back at me, keep in mind that that I have already acknowledged that Caroline was fatigued and this was perhaps the biggest factor. Shyanne Sellers also played 39 minutes in this game dishing out 6 assist and 1 turnover and absolutely go it done at crunch time-which was not bad considering she replaced an AA PG for MD who decided to transfer. For those that maybe a little squeamish about me questioning a players basketball understanding you can readily substitute the words poor decision making which was the result of fatigue.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Every time I see this thread, I initially do a double take, wondering if we have a new recruit named Caroline Conundrum.

It's a catchy name, but I like Ducharme better. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom