Caroline Conundrum | The Boneyard

Caroline Conundrum

Reaction Score
No question Caroline is going through a rough scoring drought and we don't know why. Every time she takes a shot, I'm praying that it goes in and it propels her to get back on track. Having said that she does so many more things defensively that helps this team, not to mention the assists she provides. I for one have been in her corner from the beginning. She has been through so much. I am looking forward to her getting back to her last year scoring frenzy.

Reaction Score
The one thing I noticed in the Princeton game because the camera focused on Caroline for a moment was that she was grasping for breath more than others in a timeout. Others have said with her hip surgery she was rehabing all summer and only started to practice in the fall and not fully. She was kept out of the first game by Geno and he has been slowly rotating her into games but now is forced to start her.
I think in time she will get her game speed and legs under her. So lets give her a chance. We all have seen what she can do when right.

Reaction Score
No question Caroline is going through a rough scoring drought and we don't know why. Every time she takes a shot, I'm praying that it goes in and it propels her to get back on track. Having said that she does so many more things defensively that helps this team, not to mention the assists she provides. I for one have been in her corner from the beginning. She has been through so much. I am looking forward to her getting back to her last year scoring frenzy.
I think she's trying too hard.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately Caroline cannot slowly get back to normal with limited bench minutes until she is ready for a major role again. She has to play significant minutes no matter how close she is to 100% back because of injuries to others. The sooner we get normal production out of Caroline the better.

For most of the season the player many Boneyarder's wanted to see have a breakout game was Amari, but now I think because of her importance that wish has been transferred to Caroline. One big all-around game that can convince us she is back, would be a wonderful tonic for the adversity we are going thru now.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The one thing I noticed in the Princeton game because the camera focused on Caroline for a moment was that she was grasping for breath more than others in a timeout. Others have said with her hip surgery she was rehabing all summer and only started to practice in the fall and not fully. She was kept out of the first game by Geno and he has been slowly rotating her into games but now is forced to start her.
I think in time she will get her game speed and legs under her. So lets give her a chance. We all have seen what she can do when right.
This. Let's be happy she's able to stay on the court with increased minutes. My first hope was the stiff upper back pain would/will not be a chronic issue for her. Anyone who has had back pain can attest to how it limits your mobility.

That said the schedule and injuries did no favor to a healed Caroline. The preference would be to slowly work her in and let her get back to game play after a long period of rehab. Not many players regain their form after long stretches of not participating in practice immediately. And if they miss the preseason and early part of the season they start out behind the development of opposing players.

Two of my concerns when Paige and Ice went down with season ending injuries were how fast Aubrey and Caroline could become significant contributors. Aubrey is so far ahead of where I expected her to be at this point. Caroline is exactly where I though she'd be.

Reaction Score
The way things are going with this team, she will get quite a lot of court time. She needs to be offensively productive. Right now, many shots aren’t even close. With Azzi out, teams can focus on stopping Lou. We need CD to start knocking down shots. We squeaked by Princeton but more point production will be needed going forward.

Reaction Score
Her form is way off. Her 3-point shot looks more like shot put than basketball. Sad to see.

Reaction Score
It’s clear she’s working as hard as she can. I’m sure it’s far more frustrating for her than for us. It doesn’t matter how much she NEEDS to do something—her timeline is her timeline.

I remember after major ankle surgery trying to play a sport. Even though my ankle was healed, my sense of where I was in space had been completely disrupted. Movements that had been ingrained after many years were just slightly off. Maybe Caroline is going through something similar.

Reaction Score
CD's deficiencies are exacerbated at the moment. She is on the slow sideanyway, and possibly slower now due to being a bit out of shape. She also cannot deal with quickness or chaos around her. She is also missing her shots. That said, I think she will get her form back eventually, hit shots and also provide some post up opps. Bur will that be this year however??

I think she will be a target for teams on the defensive end due to her lack of foot speed. Hopefully she can make up for that with her length. It is something, even if she is clicking on offense that GA will need to game plan for. Quicker teams can exploit her. SC will do so.

Reaction Score

I don't think she started fully practicing until right before the first game she played in. I think some of the problems is conditioning. Another is her confidence.

Reaction Score
Seeing the glass as half full, or maybe even more so, while some may have seen Caroline gasping for breath during breaks, I saw her assuming a take-charge role in those brief, post-Nike injury huddles. More than once, she did the talking while teammates listened.

That attitude, plus her being one to regularly congratulate teammates, cheer them on and help them up if they've fallen, tells me she's 100 percent invested.

As for her bad shooting and 'pushing' her three-pointers, that is not in question. However, just a couple of games ago she scored 15 points and hit a couple of threes with beautiful arc and great touch.

I'm still concerned about Caroline's physical status, but optimistic she'll be a key player if/when she gets the kinks out.

Reaction Score
I have a couple thoughts on this, all jmo.

1. She had major hip surgery less than 8 months ago. Im no doctor but maybe for her to get back to being comfortable and confident moving it may take a full year.

2. Anytime someone has a back, neck injury it's a bit scary and can take time. Watching in the NBA Ben Simmons look like a shell of himself until all of a sudden he didn't was sort of eye opening in showing how players can really struggle coming back. He had an off season and then pre season games but still was pretty bad. Unfortunately Caroline was pretty limited all summer and even fall.

Saylor P started off really rocky this season for Arkansas and had a back thing really for a couple years. But recently she's been balling (17 and 11 last night). I bring that up because as painful as it is, and it's probably 100x more painful for the player, it probably is best to struggle/play through it.

3. Geno joked that he didn't know how she was good and CD joked about her exceeding expectations last year. It's kinda hard to assess her, cuz she is a bit unconventional. Like I was thinking she should be able to just blow past or somehow beat Princeton defenders 1 on 1. But that's not really her game. She started really rocky last season as well and figured it out.

4. Dorka and Liv missing. Just watching highlights, she really did benefit from our bigs being really great passers. I think that's missing a little and the offense is a bit different than last year.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
As has been mentioned by Geno numerous times, Caroline is battling a neck issue that is a result of last season's issues. She doesn't get to practice full time and is a starter out of necessity, just like Azzi last season when Azzi had foot issues. If you look at the back of Caroline's neck, especially in previous games, she is wearing kinesio tape. A further indication that she is battling something.

Reaction Score
I think it’s a combination of everything from being a little out of shape because of her surgery and injuries. She looks to have gained weight and I focused on her too for a bit last night and I saw a slight limp when she ran and was behind everyone running back. I don’t think she is in complete shape yet and is trying to be herself when she’s not there yet, pressing. I think it will come and go until mid season she’ll be herself, if she is fully healed. She looks uncomfortable. I trust her though.

Reaction Score
She’s not nearly as quick with the ball running up and down the court as she was last year before head injury. There was a stretch last year filling in for PB as the team leader where she was averaging 25ppg or there abouts.

Reaction Score
My uninformed perception.

1. She looks like she isn’t in game shape. It’s hard when your mind tells you to do one thing and your body can’t. That will be fixed as she continues to play and practice.

2. Our rotation has become so wonky that players are way out of position, and there’s no chemistry. She was missed when wide open a number of times, but given the ball in bad spots other times. This affected a number of players against Princeton. Also, she’s more of a forward dominant guard than a ball handler. Hence the TOs.

3. Given how thin we are, she’s pressing. I think she wants to get back and impact the game so badly that she’s playing rushed. Once she strings together a few good games and settles in, she should be fine.

She played really well against Iowa just a few weeks ago. I’m choosing to believe there are a lot more performances like that to come this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom