Caroline cleared | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Caroline cleared

Reaction Score
"Cleared for full contact" is not equivalent to "cleared to play in games". As I understand it, "cleared for full contact" is the last step in the concussion protocol. Caroline has to participate in full contact, wait at least 24 hours, and be verified to have no symptoms. Then and only then can she be cleared to play. It's possible that she could remain in this final stage for days until she becomes symptom-free.

She has been symptom-free for a number of days.

Reaction Score
She has been symptom-free for a number of days.
That's without being in situations with full contact. Things could change once she goes full speed and participates in scrimmages. Seen this with players I've coached at the high school level. They seemed fine initially but symptoms come back when they start to fully exert themselves. Let's just see how things play out.

Reaction Score
That's without being in situations with full contact. Things could change once she goes full speed and participates in scrimmages. Seen this with players I've coached at the high school level. They seemed fine initially but symptoms come back when they start to fully exert themselves. Let's just see how things play out.
Wait, you don't know how long she has been full contact. No one said she was cleared full contact yesterday. She could have been cleared full contact last weekend.

Reaction Score
What it means is the players on the floor can play hard and not worry so much about fouls plus they know there will be some rest so they can go all out and "play like a Huskie"

JBK

Reaction Score
Was thinking this as well. While she's cleared, it's still best to take a cautious approach. As much as I'd love to see her back on the court helping the team, I don't want to see it at the risk of her long term health.
The doctors will dictate what her body can handle

Reaction Score
No, that is what happens when you are cleared for partial is the final step in protocol. Patterson was cleared for full contact the day she was available to play.
Depends. CDC website recommends step 5 is full contact in practice, step 6 is competition, with 24 hours symptom free minimum between steps. Which is why people say you are out a week minimum after being diagnosed with a concussion as shorthand.

Very happy for Caroline. My daughter got a concussion the first weekend in October and it took her until the second week in January to be fully cleared.

CE90629D-088B-4619-AA38-E721BC263E36.png

Reaction Score
Fantastic news! One back, one to go.
Great Highlights!!! Thanks, Z
Plus, she can drive to basket and score the winning basket at the end of the game even while tightly guarded- Marquette last year

JBK

Reaction Score
And her body has no say in the matter?;):oops:
good doctors and trainers work with their patients to discuss their symptoms.
But it is a bit disheartening to hear all the people on this site say she and Azzi should wait till next year. If they feel they are ready and the doctors clear them - then let them run and create a memory that will last a lifetime. They work so hard to try a win a NC and we should never rob them of that opportunity - especially if the doctors and trainers along with the athlete feel they are good to go.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, it’s a nice change up too with Caroline being a little bit bigger and a little bit more physical.

Just for what it’s worth, she’s been cleared to play, but she has had one long layoff from playing. I think it makes sense to temper our expectations a little bit and just be grateful she’s back out on the court.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is great news. Now the process begins for Caroline to get up to speed and stay healthy. No word on Azzi keeps us wondering. My thoughts right now are we have 5 games left in the season them the BET begins March 4. UConn should have a bye. So that gives the team 5-6 days of no games. Hopefully thats enough time to rest and get back to business. My focus now is not so much with what happens for the rest of the season, but being ready and healthy for the BET and more importantly the NCAAs.

I not concerned who the pollsters are ranking where. With our NET and SOS and with a healthy team that includes a healthy Caroline and Azzi we are a 1 seed in the NCAAs If not I would be very surprised. Many of us have said it many times. A healthy UConn team could win the NCAAs this season. So lets be patient and hope Azzi is ready for the BET and if not then hope shes ready for the NCAAs because if she is its gonna be a great end of the year season.

Reaction Score
Wait, you don't know how long she has been full contact. No one said she was cleared full contact yesterday. She could have been cleared full contact last weekend.

Per this article, it was reported she was cleared for full contact as of this Monday. That is what I'm basing my response off of.
The doctors will dictate what her body can handle
Which was my point. It's still good to take a cautious approach and the doctors will make the decision.

Reaction Score

Per this article, it was reported she was cleared for full contact as of this Monday. That is what I'm basing my response off of.

Which was my point. It's still good to take a cautious approach and the doctors will make the decision.
So as of yesterday she played full contact twice in a row.

Reaction Score
How many consecutive days of no symptoms does it take to earn cleared for full contact? Anyone know?
Probably depends on what the initial or original injury was.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom