Caroline: A caution | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Caroline: A caution

Reaction Score
Actually, I think she was wearing earplugs. Orange ones. I have no idea how to interpret that. The fact she was at the game, in an incredibly noisy arena, may be a good sign even if she was wearing earplugs. If I were in the stands, I’d probably wear earplugs and I’ve never had a concussion
Agree. Took my son to some Metal Core concerts. Trust me when I say the TN crowd at the game was pin drop whisper quiet compared to a Lorna Shore concert, but I would STILL wear ear plugs.

Reaction Score
Not absolutely true Paco.

Geno commented a week ago (2?) that Caroline was doing a bit better than Amari.
Then Amari shows up in a game.(?)

Like others, I've gone through the scientific studies available to all on the internet that seem pretty consistent in emphasizing the serious of repeated head trauma and the likelihood of it recurring in athletes.

We all wish Caroline the best, whatever the outcome and whenever she plays...
A very special talent...with a deep fire burning...one hopes to see her soon.

Pretty sure you meant ayannay

Reaction Score
How come Geno doesn’t get a stiff neck watching her sneaky cuts to the basket? No girl in college basketball does it better.
Huh? What does this have to do with what I've said? Although I definitely agree, Caroline is a treasure and I fully hope she is able to delight us all again and go on from here to become a UConn great.

Reaction Score
I am sick and tired of medical speculation about injured UConn players by unqualified people who have not observed the players beyond what they see on the bench or on TV. I think groundless medical speculation is nearly as harmful as groundless speculation about transfers. If I were the moderator, I would ban it -- but of course I'm not.

Part of the problem is the most of these posts have a Cassandra quality, and a tendency to assume that "no news is bad news". Face it -- we simply don't know, and we won't know until Caroline walks on the court, or doesn't. If the coaches and the doctors knew that she would be out for the season, they would tell us, as they did with Paige and Ice. If they don't say anything, we should assume that they don't know anything (that they are ready to be held to) about what we want to know, which is when or if she will be back.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Reaction Score
Actually, I think she was wearing earplugs. Orange ones. I have no idea how to interpret that. The fact she was at the game, in an incredibly noisy arena, may be a good sign even if she was wearing earplugs. If I were in the stands, I’d probably wear earplugs and I’ve never had a concussion
@Bone Dog. Caroline has been wearing those same color ear plugs for several games. I don't think there's any big message behind it. I think those are simply the ones that have been supplied.

Reaction Score
@Bone Dog. Caroline has been wearing those same color ear plugs for several games. I don't think there's any big message behind it. I think those are simply the ones that have been supplied.
You're replying to me for some reason, but this was my point in the original post.

However, I was worried I'd misremembered which games I'd seen her wearing them to. Is your point that you saw them also at the Tennessee game?

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score
Earplugs throughout all games. But:
  • initially not attending games, then attending but not traveling with the team, now traveling
  • when she started attending, initially shades, then what looked like prismatic glasses, now no glasses
So definitely some good signs.

BTW, AFAIK she has not yet reached the game threshold and is still eligible for a medical redshirt (I did not carefully check though). If that is true, the fact that they didn’t make that decision adds to me being hopeful for a not too distant return.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
You're replying to me for some reason, but this was my point in the original post.

However, I was worried I'd misremembered which games I'd seen her wearing them to. Is your point that you saw them also at the Tennessee game?
She was wearing them at the Orange's team game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A daughter of mine was essentially T-boned driving home last July and suffered a severe concussion. She's still in therapy and shown very little progress. The symptoms are both subtle and gross. So I have gotten a lesson in concussions and then some. I am very concerned for Caroline. She needs all the good thoughts we can send her way.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Similar to the eagle eyes that noticed Azzi had braids for her first game played after the initial injury, the key for Caroline is when she's dressed in uniform and participates in pregame activities. Even then, there's no guarantee that she'll play, similar to Ayanna. She has to be cleared for actual practice, contact at practice, etc, before being cleared to dress. If we're not seeing anything about her practice participation from the coaches, then there's no news. I'd rather there be no news and that all proper steps are taken to getting her back 100%, no matter how long it takes.

One cautionary tale - Remembering back to Casey Cochran, UConn QB, he enrolled in spring of 2012, played in 8 games in 2013, started in 4, then started in 2014 and played 1 game before retiring due to multiple concussions. How many did he have during his entire FB career, all the way back in HS, etc? He might not know and not all of them may have been diagnosed.

Reaction Score
Similar to the eagle eyes that noticed Azzi had braids for her first game played after the initial injury, the key for Caroline is when she's dressed in uniform and participates in pregame activities. Even then, there's no guarantee that she'll play, similar to Ayanna. She has to be cleared for actual practice, contact at practice, etc, before being cleared to dress. If we're not seeing anything about her practice participation from the coaches, then there's no news. I'd rather there be no news and that all proper steps are taken to getting her back 100%, no matter how long it takes.

One cautionary tale - Remembering back to Casey Cochran, UConn QB, he enrolled in spring of 2012, played in 8 games in 2013, started in 4, then started in 2014 and played 1 game before retiring due to multiple concussions. How many did he have during his entire FB career, all the way back in HS, etc? He might not know and not all of them may have been diagnosed.
Not true. Earlier in the season Caroline was cleared for practice and didn’t dress. The dressing for warmups when you aren’t cleared to play is new and fairly unique to UConn.

Reaction Score
Huh? What does this have to do with what I've said? Although I definitely agree, Caroline is a treasure and I fully hope she is able to delight us all again and go on from here to become a UConn great.
Nothing. Was just trying to lighten things up, not really in an argumentative mood today. Just forget the stiff neck. Trust me.

Reaction Score

I what you’re trying to get at, but I think the comparison to Cochran is a stretch, I mean I don’t think Caroline ever played tackle football or had 265 Ib lineman slam her to the ground.

Reaction Score
BTW, AFAIK she has not yet reached the game threshold and is still eligible for a medical redshirt (I did not carefully check though). If that is true, the fact that they didn’t make that decision adds to me being hopeful for a not too distant return.

She has played too many games to be eligible for a medical hardship waiver. However if she were eligible, UConn would have a few years to make that decision. In fact they couldn’t even make a decision until the year was over with an injury such as hers.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I what you’re trying to get at, but I think the comparison to Cochran is a stretch, I mean I don’t think Caroline ever played tackle football or had 265 Ib lineman slam her to the ground.
I wasn't comparing WBB to FB. This was just an example of how athletic careers can get derailed, or worse, ended prematurely. A concussion is a concussion. Some folks brains heal differently than others. One concussion for some folks is just as or more damaging than multiple in others.

Reaction Score
Agree. Took my son to some Metal Core concerts. Trust me when I say the TN crowd at the game was pin drop whisper quiet compared to a Lorna Shore concert, but I would STILL wear ear plugs.
Metal concert!!!!

Reaction Score
A daughter of mine was essentially T-boned driving home last July and suffered a severe concussion. She's still in therapy and shown very little progress. The symptoms are both subtle and gross. So I have gotten a lesson in concussions and then some. I am very concerned for Caroline. She needs all the good thoughts we can send her way.
Sorry to hear this. Good thoughts to Caroline and your daughter.

Reaction Score
I wasn't comparing WBB to FB. This was just an example of how athletic careers can get derailed, or worse, ended prematurely. A concussion is a concussion. Some folks brains heal differently than others. One concussion for some folks is just as or more damaging than multiple in others.
No, it’s not true that all concussions are the same. There are grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 concussions. Grade 3 is the worst.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
No, it’s not true that all concussions are the same. There are grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 concussions. Grade 3 is the worst.
Last comment - I was not comparing grades of concussions, however once you've had one, it's a concussion. Changing gears, here's an update:

Reaction Score
It sounds like your daughter had a grade 3 or a severe grade 2 concussion. Caroline’s and Ayanna’s were grade 1. My prayers for your daughter.

Reaction Score
Geno said she has had 4-5 normal workouts in a row and he would guess she’d be back in the next 2-5 games. Of course caveating that it’s hard to predict.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom