Caroline: A caution | The Boneyard

Caroline: A caution

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
LOTS of folks are chattering with the presumption that caroline will recover by march. That would be wonderful.

And some are counting on her returning at her best. That would be absolutely fantastic. I sure hope so, but it's unlikely.

There has been nothing -- except our speculation -- to hint that either scenario is gonna bless us. Maybe insiders have some insights, but they're not talking. In fact, it seems like those closest to the team don't want to encourage any hope. No hints. No vibes. ... Reporters and other supposedly in the know commentators aren't even mentioning her name. That's kinda unusual. After all, she has been an important (inactive) part of the Husky team, and they all know the fans long for encouragement.

Nada.

Like everyone here, I'm hoping this is just an aggravation; all will work out as we wish. I like to worry, however, so here is the caution: I remember the case of Keirsten Walters.

She was recruited along with Sue, Swin, Tamika and Ashja -- what a great class (TASSK force). I recall some reporting that it was Keirsten who was the key spark that led to them agreeing to all go to uconn together. She may have been ranked higher than Sue as a point guard in high school. As freshmen, Sue beat her out, but Sue only played a handful of games, knocked out by an ACL (I think it was).

It seemed we'd be OK with the highly regarded Keirsten taking up the slack. However, it turned out that Keirsten was slowed by injury herself. She tried her best despite the injuries. ... She ended up leaving Uconn after a couple of years, at least one of them inactive due to physical hardships. She is pretty much forgotten nows, a shame for such a promising player.

Caroline is being forgotten now by media. Not by her teammates of course, but even they do not suggest they are counting on her as a significant contributor this year.

Next year?

Others have expressed worry about Caroline's health. Her physical symptoms are ominous. It's been a long while since she was knocked in the head multiple times. The brain is very tricky, and I don't trust it.

Here's hoping this is a meaningless post and Caroline avoids Keirsten's fate. She deserves much success. And the BY would be delighted.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I am sick and tired of medical speculation about injured UConn players by unqualified people who have not observed the players beyond what they see on the bench or on TV. I think groundless medical speculation is nearly as harmful as groundless speculation about transfers. If I were the moderator, I would ban it -- but of course I'm not.

Part of the problem is the most of these posts have a Cassandra quality, and a tendency to assume that "no news is bad news". Face it -- we simply don't know, and we won't know until Caroline walks on the court, or doesn't. If the coaches and the doctors knew that she would be out for the season, they would tell us, as they did with Paige and Ice. If they don't say anything, we should assume that they don't know anything (that they are ready to be held to) about what we want to know, which is when or if she will be back.

Reaction Score
I am sick and tired of medical speculation about injured UConn players by unqualified people who have not observed the players beyond what they see on the bench or on TV. I think groundless medical speculation is nearly as harmful as groundless speculation about transfers. If I were the moderator, I would ban it -- but of course I'm not.

Part of the problem is the most of these posts have a Cassandra quality, and a tendency to assume that "no news is bad news". Face it -- we simply don't know, and we won't know until Caroline walks on the court, or doesn't. If the coaches and the doctors knew that she would be out for the season, they would tell us, as they did with Paige and Ice. If they don't say anything, we should assume that they don't know anything (that they are ready to be held to) about what we want to know, which is when or if she will be back.
Thank you

Reaction Score
Actually I was very encouraged watching her on the bench during the Tennessee game and her movement during time outs. Her coloring seemed much better, her movements contained enthusiastic energy, she wasn't wearing glasses or earplugs. Those were all good signs indicating genuine improvement and I optimistically expect to she her back in uniform real soon. She was even worried about getting hit with Azzi's crutches. :)

Reaction Score
Actually I was very encouraged watching her on the bench during the Tennessee game and her movement during time outs. Her coloring seemed much better, her movements contained enthusiastic energy, she wasn't wearing glasses or earplugs. Those were all good signs indicating genuine improvement and I optimistically expect to she her back in uniform real soon. She was even worried about getting hit with Azzi's crutches. :)
I thought she looked better too. She was wearing ear plugs but that’s probably just good sense to encourage recovery versus reactive to noise.

I wouldn’t say the media has forgotten about her at all. She was mentioned multiple times on ESPN last night and again and again in previous interviews.

This is strange speculation that is applicable to all 4 players currently in the bench. Odd that Caroline is signaled out.

Reaction Score
Actually, I think she was wearing earplugs. Orange ones. I have no idea how to interpret that. The fact she was at the game, in an incredibly noisy arena, may be a good sign even if she was wearing earplugs. If I were in the stands, I’d probably wear earplugs and I’ve never had a concussion

Reaction Score
Actually, I think she was wearing earplugs. Orange ones. I have no idea how to interpret that. The fact she was at the game, in an incredibly noisy arena, may be a good sign even if she was wearing earplugs. If I were in the stands, I’d probably wear earplugs and I’ve never had a concussion
She was wearing earplugs because the color Orange has been scientifically proven to cause headaches, watery eyes, ear ringing and nausea. Facts lol

Reaction Score
JUST WAITING PATIENTLY AND PRAYING DAILY FOR CAROLINE. Wether she is playing or not, she still is my favorite player and still has a wonderful future in the next 3 years( Covid year) at UCONN. GO CAROLINE!!! GO HUSKIES!!!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There has been nothing -- except our speculation --
Nada.
Not absolutely true Paco.

Geno commented a week ago (2?) that Caroline was doing a bit better than Amari.
Then Amari shows up in a game.(?)

Like others, I've gone through the scientific studies available to all on the internet that seem pretty consistent in emphasizing the serious of repeated head trauma and the likelihood of it recurring in athletes.

We all wish Caroline the best, whatever the outcome and whenever she plays...
A very special talent...with a deep fire burning...one hopes to see her soon.

Reaction Score
She’s shooting baskets in the gym everyday. I think she’ll be back as good as ever. Trying to come back from the hip surgery and then getting hit in the knogen a couple of times is a double whammy. As it is she scored 19 points last time she played (Dec 31st). Give it time.

Reaction Score
Hmm, strange that I didn't see the earplugs. Thanks for the correction.
I may be confused with the DePaul game. I just remember seeing earplugs, but I’ve been watching so many games lately that i could have it wrong.

Reaction Score
All I can say is Caroline is my favorite UConn player. I love her skills and the way she approaches the game. Just goes about her business with little fanfare. Now, I'll admit that others have caught my eye this year, Nika, Lou, Dorka, Aubrey and, where the heck did this version of Aaliyah Edwards come from? I watched her last year and thought she was very overrated. Not anymore. Now I know what people in the know knew (I'll give you a while to parse that last sentence before concluding with this: Caroline is a gem. I'm a fan of everything about her.)

Reaction Score
She’s shooting baskets in the gym everyday. I think she’ll be back as good as ever. Trying to come back from the hip surgery and then getting hit in the knogen a couple of times is a double whammy. As it is she scored 19 points last time she played (Dec 31st). Give it time.
Does it really sound to you like I am unaware of all the things she has been going through? You forgot the stiff neck condition!

Reaction Score
No matter where she is in the healing process, I wish her well. When she is ready she will play. I look forward to seeing her back in the UConn lineup and making contributions again as a happy and healthy Caroline.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I will echo those who have clearly stated we know nothing about Caroline's condition. The university is under no obligation to inform us of her condition - like it or not.

I really hope she gets healthy and returns this season. But I'm not a neurologist.

Reaction Score
Can't even remember last time I stayed at a Holiday Inn express. Know I did but probably so long ago that my license has lapsed so I feel fully unqualified to make a proper diagnosis! I'm on the bandwagon of those that are looking forward to the day, when fully healthy, that Caroline reenters the mix. She's a gamer and I miss seeing her on the floor!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
HIE_expertise.jpg

Reaction Score
Don’t be too hard on the Boneyard “doctors”. Just when has a lack of knowledge stopped any Boneyarders from posting anything? You godda love our Boneyard - they are fearless! It reminds me of the old saying “I made up my mind - don’t confuse me with the facts”. Go UConn!

Reaction Score
Does it really sound to you like I am unaware of all the things she has been going through? You forgot the stiff neck condition!
How come Geno doesn’t get a stiff neck watching her sneaky cuts to the basket? No girl in college basketball does it better.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Like everyone here, I'm hoping this is just an aggravation; all will work out as we wish. I like to worry, however, so here is the caution: I remember the case of Keirsten Walters.

She was recruited along with Sue, Swin, Tamika and Ashja -- what a great class (TASSK force). I recall some reporting that it was Keirsten who was the key spark that led to them agreeing to all go to uconn together. She may have been ranked higher than Sue as a point guard in high school. As freshmen, Sue beat her out, but Sue only played a handful of games, knocked out by an ACL (I think it was).

It seemed we'd be OK with the highly regarded Keirsten taking up the slack. However, it turned out that Keirsten was slowed by injury herself. She tried her best despite the injuries. ... She ended up leaving Uconn after a couple of years, at least one of them inactive due to physical hardships. She is pretty much forgotten nows, a shame for such a promising player.
I don't believe Walters left UCONN (until she graduated). She played her FR year, sparingly. Redshirted her So and Jr years, as she had operations on both her knees and a shoulder. Her Sr year, she finally accepted her body was not gonna let her play and called it quits on basketball, as a player. She coached for awhile (she may still???) out in Colorado, AAU stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom