Carnage today in WCBB top 15... should lock up a 2 seed for UConn, as long as we take care of business. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Carnage today in WCBB top 15... should lock up a 2 seed for UConn, as long as we take care of business.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
To get the biggest crowds, the committee should put Louisville/UConn in Indiana, Oregon/Stanford in the West., and Maryland in SC. Lets get practical here.

Oregon and SC are going to draw massive crowds regardless of opponent. Fort Wayne's best attendance will be with Louisville there. Wont make a big difference if the opponent is UCONN or Maryland.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think I would rather see UConn get a #3 in Fort Wayne, then be in the Bracket with Oregon and Baylor and to a lesser degree So Carolina. Team could have won the So Carolina game if they didn't score two points in the 1st quarter. Team had their chances at the start of the 1st quarter to get up 6-10 points, then the pressure reverts to So Carolina and off UConn. I still think So Carolina is the better team. More Depth off the bench. The downside to a #3 seed vs the #2 Seed, you are playing better teams in the 1st and 2nd round.

Reaction Score
Let ‘s face it; if Maryland and Louisville run the table, they deserve the number 4 and 5 seeds. The AAC is down this year, but there are still some formidable teams to beat in their tournament. Same with the Big 10. UConn’s only hope is for one of them, or both, to lose in their respective leagues. Even that might not be enough.
The appropriate question right now is who from Oregon, Baylor or S.C. Is the best possibility for an upset.

Reaction Score
I think I would rather see UConn get a #3 in Fort Wayne, then be in the Bracket with Oregon and Baylor and to a lesser degree So Carolina. Team could have won the So Carolina game if they didn't score two points in the 1st quarter. Team had their chances at the start of the 1st quarter to get up 6-10 points, then the pressure reverts to So Carolina and off UConn. I still think So Carolina is the better team. More Depth off the bench. The downside to a #3 seed vs the #2 Seed, you are playing better teams in the 1st and 2nd round.
I see no way that UConn falls to a #3 seed without losing an AAC game. so yes, I'd rather be #3 in FT Wayne than #2 elsewhere, but if we can't beat all the AAC teams, it probably doesn't matter anyway. And to whoever posted that to win the NC you have to beat good team, yes, that is generally true, but keeping our FF streak alive would be a good thing. And there was one year of the Stewie, Moriah and Tuck years (2016) where we faced two relatively weak teams in the FF (Syracuse and Oregon St). Sometimes other teams can do your dirty work for you, if you are in a different bracket. Like when Louisville upset Baylor with Griner for us.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I see no way that UConn falls to a #3 seed without losing an AAC game. so yes, I'd rather be #3 in FT Wayne than #2 elsewhere, but if we can't beat all the AAC teams, it probably doesn't matter anyway. And to whoever posted that to win the NC you have to beat good team, yes, that is generally true, but keeping our FF streak alive would be a good thing. And there was one year of the Stewie, Moriah and Tuck years (2016) where we faced two relatively weak teams in the FF (Syracuse and Oregon St). Sometimes other teams can do your dirty work for you, if you are in a different bracket. Like when Louisville upset Baylor with Griner for us.

Good example of how important matchups are was South Carolina avoiding any #1 seeds or top 5 teams in 2017. Mississippi State took out undefeated UCONN and Turner's ACL/Stanford took out #2 ND. Those 2 appeared to be the heavy hitters which paved a much more favorable path for SC.

It looks like a sure thing the top 3 teams are locks for the Final Four based on the season, but anything can happen in the NCAAs. Just 4 years ago the #1 seeds had 1 combined loss to teams that werent #1 seeds and only 1 (UCONN) made the Final Four. Two got bounced in the Sweet 16, one in front of a home crowd in the Elite 8.

Back to the main point--anything can happen, but landing in Fort Wayne would be massive for the Huskies.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I'm with Geno. It doesn't make a difference where we go. 2013 the doom clouds circled over our heads. We lost to Baylor and NPOY Griner and 3 times to Notre Dame. No way we were getting by either one of them.

There's no easy route to a Natty for us this year. Sweet 16 and Elite 8 are full of obstacles. In a one and done game The Little Sisters of Mercy can hit 25 3's and we can miss a layup at the buzzer.

I don't think the final four is a lock for anyone. Cinderella has been invited to the ball and will make her entrance at an amazing time.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Has Stanford released any information on Haley Jones injury. Unable to watch any of the PAC12 games but I do check the box scores and Jones is never mentioned?
Here's what we know: there was one AP story picked up by the NY Times (I think our first overtime victory vs. Colorado?) that paraphrased Tara as saying they were expecting her back before the end of the season. That could, of course, mean April -- if we last that long. And it wasn't a direct quote, so some of us question the reliability of the claim. Jones's social media has been silent about her status.

In person, Jones has been seen in several escalatingly less restrictive leg braces and on the bench for home games and skipping away games. On Friday vs. OSU, I noticed that she was dressed in jeans, up and standing for all our huddles, and dancing around with Carrington to the music played during the timeouts. I was encouraged by how freely she seemed to be moving.

(All that said, Carrington didn't even appear to be in a brace, and yet moved much more freely, and there hasn't even been a whisper of a suggestion she's coming back this season at all. We're all pretty mystified by what the heck is happening with her status and (a) whether she's sitting out the rest of the year and seeking a medical redshirt for next year, and (b) if so, whether we're saving a spot for her, as there is one open. But Anna Wilson may also be seeking it.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This looks like good news for UConn at first glance. But there are a couple twists:
  • DePaul's loss to Nova hurts UConn's resume because it devalues what is by far our best win.
  • On the other hand, the teams that are probably standing between UConn and a spot in the Ft. Wayne regional -- Maryland, Louisville and Stanford -- were not among the casualties today.
Edit to add: Some additional food for thought: What would we rather be, a #3 in Ft. Wayne or a #2 seed anywhere else?
A #3 in FT Wayne. You would still only play the #1 in your region in the regional finals. I am very cynical about selection committees in general from looking at inexplicable decisions over the years and I worry that " this is the year to give UConn its comeuppance" may dominate the thinking so I am not expecting any assistance from the Committee.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A #3 in FT Wayne. You would still only play the #1 in your region in the regional finals. I am very cynical about selection committees in general from looking at inexplicable decisions over the years and I worry that " this is the year to give UConn its comeuppance" may dominate the thinking so I am not expecting any assistance from the Committee.
Which inexplicable decisions over the years are you referring to?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Good example of how important matchups are was South Carolina avoiding any #1 seeds or top 5 teams in 2017. Mississippi State took out undefeated UCONN and Turner's ACL/Stanford took out #2 ND. Those 2 appeared to be the heavy hitters which paved a much more favorable path for SC.

It looks like a sure thing the top 3 teams are locks for the Final Four based on the season, but anything can happen in the NCAAs. Just 4 years ago the #1 seeds had 1 combined loss to teams that werent #1 seeds and only 1 (UCONN) made the Final Four. Two got bounced in the Sweet 16, one in front of a home crowd in the Elite 8.

Back to the main point--anything can happen, but landing in Fort Wayne would be massive for the Huskies.
I truly believe not all of the top 3 will make the FF.

Reaction Score
Which inexplicable decisions over the years are you referring to?
When I said in general I was thinking about the Men's Selection Committee choices over the years. For recent disasters, start with 2014 when SMU was a Top 25 team and didn't make the Dance. It was the first such snub of a Top 25 team in 10 years. Why am I so cynical about that? Larry Brown was the coach. Take the 2016 Tulsa team going in. There is a long diatribe by Joe Lunardi about the entire field that year on you tube and especially Tulsa. Just last year, MSU beats Michigan three times and gets the # 8 overall seed and the #2 seed in the same region with the overall #1 seed Duke. Michigan gets the overall #5 seed and therefore plays the weakest #1 seed.These are relatively recent decisions. If you want to go back to when the tourney was first expanded to not exclude teams that didn't win their conferences and go forward it would be impossible to chronicle. I wasn't referring to the UConn women particularly although I am sure there are instances of that. Some would say such an instance was when DT was a senior. For many years they were a no brainer first overall seed. I just do not think of the Committee as anything more than a group of people who are making decisions and bringing their own perceptions and biases into the decision making despite their protestations to the contrary and I am worried that we will be penalized for our past success. We will see.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Seems like so many upsets were part of the underdog's Senior Day? Anyone willing to list the results and the status of the senior day in relation to the result?

Reaction Score
I want to see the 5 starters clicking on all cylinders for the Tournaments! For 4 weekends the offense is in sync and they're playing there best ball of the year. Megan hitting 23 a game, Christyn ave 18 a game shooting 54 % from the field, Olivia averaging 14pts, 10rbs and 5 blocks, Ania pitching in with 10pts, 6rbs, 5 ast, Aubrey with 8pts, 8rbs, 2 blocks 4 steals with numerous deflections and next the Captain comes out and puts on her Cape and ave 26 a game with 7 assist. But it was the 3 game winners in a row that she hits to lead Uconn to their 12th National Championship!!! The 3 buzzer beaters were in order Oregon E8, Baylor FF semi-finals and South Carolina for the NC!!! We have seen it done on the Mens side twice 2011 & 2014! It's the Womens turn this year!!!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Oh, trust me. I worked there for 6 months one time :eek::eek:
I was there on business, once. We didn't end up going with that vendor, though the city had nothing to do with it.

Reaction Score
I was there on business, once. We didn't end up going with that vendor, though the city had nothing to do with it.
FW wasn't THAT bad, other than being really, really flat, and being in Pence Indiana (very real). I didn't have to actually "live" there. 5 of us ran a start-up company. None of us lived there, so we rented a big house, which we called the "frat house", to bunk out during the week. Actually had a blast. This house was a huge luxury home, worthy of the "Hangover" movies. Very seldom were we all 5 there at the same time, but whoever was there did a good job of partying. Sleep was a low priority.

That said, I'm not planning any vacations to go back... :eek::eek:

Reaction Score
I doubt UConn cares where they are seeded like Geno often says. To win the NC you have to beat everyone you play in the tournament. 4 Numbers 1s rarely get to the final 4. I know I'm a homer but if Stanford stays ahead of UConn they will have earned it. I'll be happy if UConn is the dark horse getting to the final 4!
While I have long argued that Colorado would be the best team in the nation with up to a dozen losses, I still think Stanford’s miracle wins over Colorado indicate they should not be seeded above UConn. And I think the NCAA would love a South Carolina-Baylor-Oregon-UConn Final Four if only for tv ratings in virtually ever region of country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom