Carlton's help defense killed us. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Carlton's help defense killed us.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Well, I'm hopeful that Seth Towns will actually start at the 3, but I can't quite pencil him in at this point. Sid has hit more 3 pointers than Vital lately so there's that. I don't see anything horrible in his form and he's getting more arc on the ball than last year. Jackson is evidently getting better from outside as well. If Polley is back and healthy you can certainly use him as well.

If we got Towns, Sid would become a flex 3-4 type player.
There's no indication that Towns is even coming here

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There's no indication that Towns is even coming here

Of course not. Nor any indication that he isn't. But we need a 3 with his skillset, we are close to where he is now and we scrimmaged with Harvard the last two seasons. I have to believe we are at least on his list.

Reaction Score
I'm increasingly thinking we will get Cliff, and Javonte Brown Ferguson will be the developmental back-up, with Akok and Springs at the 5 and Sid and Jackson at the 3.
akok and springs at the 4? if so i agree w/ everything.

assuming Polley isn't 100% by november, Wilson's best chance at finding minutes is at the 3.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
akok and springs at the 4? if so i agree w/ everything.

assuming Polley isn't 100% by november, Wilson's best chance at finding minutes is at the 3.

Yes, just a typo there.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think people forgot Josh started out this season improving on his play from last year. The talent is there for a reasonable center. Teams were double and triple teaming him earlier in the season and he was still providing production. It's amazing how much he's regressed from earlier in the season.

There's a lot of problems with Josh's game and most of these problems have to do with his mindset. At the beginning of the game he gets an offensive rebound after a missed CV three and hits the front of the rim on an uncontested put back. There have been many games where he missed easy open looks that were momentum killers.

Check out his play with 8:10 minutes remaining in the first half of the Tulsa game. UConn is up 15-11. Jeriah Horne misses an 8 foot shot from the paint that Josh contests. Josh turns and watches the shot neither boxing out Jeriah or moving towards the basket for a rebound. Jeriah easily gets to the basket for a rebound and makes the layup. To make matters worse Josh fouls Jeriah without any realistic chance of blocking the shot.

Reaction Score
Of course not. Nor any indication that he isn't. But we need a 3 with his skillset, we are close to where he is now and we scrimmaged with Harvard the last two seasons. I have to believe we are at least on his list.
I've seen you mention this scrimmage thing a bunch, do you really think that's a factor? I just can't imagine any player choosing a school because he spent 4 hours over 2 years scrimmaging against someone

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I've seen you mention this scrimmage thing a bunch, do you really think that's a factor? I just can't imagine any player choosing a school because he spent 4 hours over 2 years scrimmaging against someone

I think it means he has seen Hurley coach/practice privately. He has met our guys. He either likes what he saw or he doesn't. I have no idea. But he has a level of visibility to what going on behind the scenes he doesn't have with other schools.

Reaction Score
I think it means he has seen Hurley coach/practice privately. He has met our guys. He either likes what he saw or he doesn't. I have no idea. But he has a level of visibility to what going on behind the scenes he doesn't have with other schools.
I hope it's true, he's at the top of my wishlist of recruits right now

Reaction Score
I watched much of the second half and from what it looks like it wasn't all Josh's fault. Our bigs were being manhandled in the paint and they were spreading us out which is why we were double teaming their bigs with our big. When that happens, and the 3rd guy was supposed to rotate over. We missed that rotation on a number of occasions. There were a few times where Josh didn't/couldn't get back in time though because he just wasn't quick enough. But it's not all on him in terms of the defensive rotations.

Reaction Score
I think people forgot Josh started out this season improving on his play from last year. The talent is there for a reasonable center. Teams were double and triple teaming him earlier in the season and he was still providing production. It's amazing how much he's regressed from earlier in the season.

i remember him eating cupcakes that he outweighed by 100 lbs. pun intended

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I hope it's true, he's at the top of my wishlist of recruits right now

With Dan, who knows? It could be a huge turnoff. He is a little bit crazy.

Reaction Score
i remember him eating cupcakes that he outweighed by 100 lbs. pun intended
Something is going on with him , that Hurley has to address
Going from the AAC most improved player to unplayable is on the coach.
Overweight for a guy on the athletic margins maybe ,
Injury that we don’t know about ,
or loss of confidence in himself are all coaching issues.
Lack of shooting from our stretch allowed him to be doubled in our first 15 gamed.
Frustration caused by that leads to lack of confidence.
Akok‘s shot coming alive is great but it could be too late if our 5 no longer believes in himself.
Kids are fragile and confidence breeds success lack of failure.

Reaction Score
Something is going on with him , that Hurley has to address
Going from the AAC most improved player to unplayable is on the coach.
Overweight for a guy on the athletic margins maybe ,
Injury that we don’t know about ,
or loss of confidence in himself are all coaching issues.
Lack of shooting from our stretch allowed him to be doubled in our first 15 gamed.
Frustration caused by that leads to lack of confidence.
Akok‘s shot coming alive is great but it could be too late if our 5 no longer believes in himself.
Kids are fragile and confidence breeds success lack of failure.

Everyone bears some responsibility. Clearly his confidence is shot and he's not playing near his ability, but he was also clearly mis-managed from a weight standpoint. Everyone agreed that he needed to get stronger in order to stand his ground defensively in the post, but he just doesn't look like he put on any "good" weight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom