Carlton, Part Deux | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Carlton, Part Deux

Reaction Score
Seems like Jankovich is going through a similar thing with Chargois that we are with Carlton. Benching him, changing up the rotation. He only played 5 minutes for them last game.
Chargois would flourish in our offense I think.

Reaction Score
Carlton as of now is not bad enough to keep on the bench but not effective enough to help win games.

I hope his role with the team and his future beyond this year become a little more clear soon.

Reaction Score
Eh Carlton. Nothing to say. Who wudda thought him and my man AG would of been the biggest issues this year. Their regression is mystifying. Hope they can turn it around. The injury is obviously still in AG’s head hence the reason why he comes up short every time he gets to the rack -Carltons regression is unexplainable. Let’s go boys. Finish strong!!!!

Reaction Score
Carltons regression is unexplainable.
Could be the 25 pounds he gained. In my opinion he looks less mobile and nimble than last year. He could be injured also. Who knows?!

Reaction Score
Sorry, Carlton is horrible in the paint! He drops easy passes out of bounds, steps on the end line, muffs easy layups when he should just dunk it, plays horrible defense most of the time, shuffles his feet before shooting and gets called for traveling, has no idea where he is in space related to the basket most of the time and does not hurry down the court to the basket after an opponent's turn-over. He shoots horribly from the charity stripe and IMO is more of a liability during a game than an asset. Yes, he played well in the OT against Cincinnati, but that was more of an aberration than a regular occurrence.

Given all of that, I would gladly take Thabeet over him! (Oops, should I have said this?)

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
That spin move where the dude dunked on Carlton was disgusting...made me jump out of my seat for the kid

Reaction Score
Sorry, Carlton is horrible in the paint! He drops easy passes out of bounds, steps on the end line, muffs easy layups when he should just dunk it, plays horrible defense most of the time, shuffles his feet before shooting and gets called for traveling, has no idea where he is in space related to the basket most of the time and does not hurry down the court to the basket after an opponent's turn-over. He shoots horribly from the charity stripe and IMO is more of a liability during a game than an asset. Yes, he played well in the OT against Cincinnati, but that was more of an aberration than a regular occurrence.

Given all of that, I would gladly take Thabeet over him! (Oops, should I have said this?)

Man we definitely need more of this. I don't think the point has been made.

Incidentally, are you really sure you'd take a 2x National Defensive Player of the Year, co-Big East Player of the Year, and Second Team All-American over Carlton? Or has the influx of 17 year olds on this board created the revisionist impression that Thabeet - one of the most dominant bigs to pass through the program - was also a disappointment?

Reaction Score
Man we definitely need more of this. I don't think the point has been made.

Incidentally, are you really sure you'd take a 2x National Defensive Player of the Year, co-Big East Player of the Year, and Second Team All-American over Carlton? Or has the influx of 17 year olds on this board created the revisionist impression that Thabeet - one of the most dominant bigs to pass through the program - was also a disappointment?
I remember my frustration with Thabeet being centered around, not his defense, but his offense. His accolades were due mostly to his defensive prowess. Yes, he had a high shooting percentage, when he was able to mostly dunk it. However, I recollect that he also had a penchant for turnover problems (like Carlton) and that was the source of my frustrations with him. That all being said, I had no intent on making this thread turn into a debate about Thabeet. A BIG man like Thabeet who brings defensive strength inside and is able to routinely dunk the ball, rather than miss chippy layups, is EXACTLY what this team needs going forward. Let's hope Akok can fill that void as his game matures.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I remember my frustration with Thabeet being centered around, not his defense, but his offense. His accolades were due mostly to his defensive prowess. Yes, he had a high shooting percentage, when he was able to mostly dunk it. However, I recollect that he also had a penchant for turnover problems (like Carlton) and that was the source of my frustrations with him. That all being said, I had no intent on making this thread turn into a debate about Thabeet. A BIG man like Thabeet who bring defensive strength inside and is able to routinely dunk the ball, rather than miss chippy layups, is EXACTLY what this team needs going forward. Let's hope Akok can fill that void as his game matures.

it was a very rhetorical question

Reaction Score
I remember my frustration with Thabeet being centered around, not his defense, but his offense. His accolades were due mostly to his defensive prowess. Yes, he had a high shooting percentage, when he was able to mostly dunk it. However, I recollect that he also had a penchant for turnover problems (like Carlton) and that was the source of my frustrations with him. That all being said, I had no intent on making this thread turn into a debate about Thabeet. A BIG man like Thabeet who bring defensive strength inside and is able to routinely dunk the ball, rather than miss chippy layups, is EXACTLY what this team needs going forward. Let's hope Akok can fill that void as his game matures.

He improved in every aspect of his game from his freshman year to his junior when he departed. To even throw these 2 in the same sentence, as Crack was sarcastically trying to explain, is ridiculous. But you are right I would take Thabeet over Carlton:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Why Has UCONN been unable to get a decent big man for so many years? Last one was Drummond Who we had for 2 years. Almost every team we play including Div2 has bigs that abuse us and put up good numbers. Just seems that way Forever. Every team is trying to recruit this position but we never can get the Kevin Freeman type anymore. We get 6’9” guys who come in at 180. Inquiring minds want to know.

Reaction Score
One year.
All our bigs departed in 2012 except Wolf who was a stiff
When JC left we got relagated to the AAC with had a rookie coach no one ever heard of and recruiting became difficult
You made do with the Facey , Nolan, Brimah Carltons. Plus transfers.
We did recruit a couple highly rated bigs
One decommited , one transferred , and the other was rehabilitating.
Top bigs are rare getting one to the AAC rarer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom