Carlton in the Weight Room | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Carlton in the Weight Room

Reaction Score
Uggh! That looks like an injury waiting to happen. Why not just do deadlifts and squats separately and achieve the same results more safely?

He's a professional strength trainer. Give the man his due. Feels like everyone and their brother has an opinion on strength training just because they've been to the gym. This isn't just a personal trainer that got his cert at MCC in one weekend. He has a Master's degree and decades of experience.

RESPECT THE PROFESSION.

Reaction Score
Uggh! That looks like an injury waiting to happen. Why not just do deadlifts and squats separately and achieve the same results more safely?
Power cleans accomplish way more than squatting and deadlifting in isolation. Deadlifts and squats are really just for pure strength. Olympic movements are about transferring strength in to explosive sequences

pj

Reaction Score
Heavy weights my man - I think it was the Akok article when he got over scientific and over thought. Chief just keeping it real.

You have to train good form first. Look at how straight Carlton's back is throughout his lift -- that's ideal. If a lifter is slouching, you'll stress the back and injure it. Akok has to learn good form first, then prove he can maintain it, before you add weight. Note that the camera angle is exactly from the side so that the players can see their back angle clearly. No doubt Sal reviews technique with them post-lift.

Reaction Score
primarily because you don't achieve the same results, also because either of those done incorrectly are as likely to cause injury as cleans done incorrectly.

why don't we let the professional trainer do his job?

Reaction Score
Not exactly Olympic class weight, but I guess u gotta start somewhere.
Well look at the bright side. At least he didn't seem to be struggling with those 20 lb. dumbbells. :)

Reaction Score
I believe the Akok video is a few months old. I'm sure he's in a hypertrophy phase now.

Reaction Score
Ever consider how much more difficult lifts are with longer limbs, or how many tall lanky Olympic lifters you see? Think lever action.

Yes, Josh, given he’s only 20 and has probably never lifted like this, is not going to be power cleaning his body weight for a 3RM in 6 months.

Reaction Score
Carlton seems like he is really dedicated to improving his strength and is making progress.

Question, though: If Carlton goes home for one of the summer sessions which I assume he will, does Alosi write him up a workout schedule with these types of lifts and trust that he does it on his own correctly or is he so focused on safe form that he would wait until Carlton comes back to campus to continue the Olympic lifts?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Ever consider how much more difficult lifts are with longer limbs, or how many tall lanky Olympic lifters you see? Think lever action.

Yes, Josh, given he’s only 20 and has probably never lifted like this, is not going to be power cleaning his body weight for a 3RM in 6 months.
Yea I was just gonna say, there's a fundamental trade-off - the longer the limbs, the exponentially more difficult weight lifting is. Akok will have to get stronger of course, but it's going to be more work for him than someone with a different body.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yea I was just gonna say, there's a fundamental trade-off - the longer the limbs, the exponentially more difficult weight lifting is. Akok will have to get stronger of course, but it's going to be more work for him than someone with a different body.
The other thing is that the longer the arm the more room there is to put muscle. Long limbed guys don't bulk up as fast, or at least they don't show it nearly as much. Doesn't mean that they aren't gaining strength.

Reaction Score
Carlton seems like he is really dedicated to improving his strength and is making progress.

Question, though: If Carlton goes home for one of the summer sessions which I assume he will, does Alosi write him up a workout schedule with these types of lifts and trust that he does it on his own correctly or is he so focused on safe form that he would wait until Carlton comes back to campus to continue the Olympic lifts?
Ive got to assume a kid he has been spending this much time with can be trusted to do a lift correctly on his own. You cant just give up on all the progress he has made by letting him take 6 weeks off.

Reaction Score
Ive got to assume a kid he has been spending this much time with can be trusted to do a lift correctly on his own. You cant just give up on all the progress he has made by letting him take 6 weeks off.

I definitely agree. Some trainers are weird like that though.

Reaction Score
I mean you could put someone on a more simple strength maintenance program for those 6 weeks, lots of training phases are 6-8 weeks and that might be a good thing. Freshen up and recover before the preseason lifting really gets going

Could easily set up a program of 4 workouts per week, 4-6 exercises per each workout, building around the bench/overhead/deadlift/squat

Reaction Score

All players get a plan for when they’re off campus. They emphasize form early, so they’re confident in what they’re doing later.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom