Carl -stop being a | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Carl -stop being a

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
That thread led to another thread that was deleted afterwards, in which Lyle Sr. confronted Carl and Carl went back at him.

I imagine we keep losing at it will just keep getting worse around here.

Carl, with his lifetime of coaching at all levels, was able to zoom in to a major problem that most of us had completely ignored.

Namely, how the players show emotion after 50+ yards plays on offense.

Apparently, other people weren't as smart as Carl and thought we had other, more pressing issues.

(I think this is how it played out in his mind)

Reaction Score
Carl, with his lifetime of coaching at all levels, was able to zoom in to a major problem that most of us had completely ignored.

Namely, how the players show emotion after 50+ yards plays on offense.

Apparently, other people weren't as smart as Carl and thought we had other, more pressing issues.

(I think this is how it played out in his mind)

Clearly you are smart enough to know what Carl was talking about, and it wasn't explicitly that. It was that, as as symptom for one of many things ailing this team (and I would argue the "me-me-me" culture of sports in general). If that's what you got out of Carl's rant, I'm not sure I can help you.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Clearly you are smart enough to know what Carl was talking about, and it wasn't explicitly that. It was that, as as symptom for one of many things ailing this team (and I would argue the "me-me-me" culture of sports in general). If that's what you got out of Carl's rant, I'm not sure I can help you.

Emotion is part of football. Calhoun knew it was part of basketball and his players aways showed emotion. He encouraged it.

I really don't have a problem with a player showing emotion after a 50+ run. Even if Carl thinks the player should, instead, be pissed and cursing out the WR's after it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

The truth lies somewhere in between. Maybe it wasn't as severe as sdhusky is making it out to be, but it wasn't as inert as you are now making it out to be. Carl was at the point where he was saying that Lyle would never play another down if he were the coach. That's right, not another down...for flexing his arms after a big run.

This 0-7 season has clearly taken a lot out of the fanbase, and seemingly more from the Boneyard. We have lost our sense of decency, and more importantly, reality. I find it increasingly hard to be my normal, positive self on this board. And the bottom line is that once a poster is made aware that he is engaging with a family member of the player he is criticizing, he should back off, even if he feels his criticism is warranted. Continuing the argument falls under the classification of douchery...

...and I like Carl, too...

Reaction Score
And the bottom line is that once a poster is made aware that he is engaging with a family member of the player he is criticizing, he should back off, even if he feels his criticism is warranted. Continuing the argument falls under the classification of douchery...

...and I like Carl, too...

That is 100% a fair point of view. I saw the exchange and I didn't feel that Carl was impolite. In fact, he was far more polite to Lyle Sr. than he was in writing what he initially did regarding Lyle. I'm just not so sure that I agree with most of you with regards to the distinction between:

1) Writing a bunch of things about players, when we "know" that parents/friends of said players are on the board (lurking if not posting).
2) Having an on-board disagreement directly with parents/friends of players.

Most here are arguing that #1 is ok, but #2 turns you into a .

I would argue that #2 is ok as long as you are being civil about it.

As to #1, I personally try to temper my comments re: individual players because I think the fact that there isn't a family member there to argue with doesn't mean that they aren't reading what is written.

So, if Carl is a , he is a for going overboard with #1. Getting on him for his banter with Lyle Sr. makes people feel better, but let's not act like the lack of "face-to-face" arguments with players' families on the board makes this a welcome environment for players' families. There is a reason that most of them don't post here. I would imagine that most of them are smart enough to see through the "Good luck to your son" in one thread by poster X, while poster X is ripping the same player in another thread (which presumably is ok because the parent didn't post in that particular thread).

BTW - I'm not saying this is a solvable issue on a public board. I just find some of the logic strained.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
That is 100% a fair point of view. I saw the exchange and I didn't feel that Carl was impolite. In fact, he was far more polite to Lyle Sr. than he was in writing what he initially did regarding Lyle. I'm just not so sure that I agree with most of you with regards to the distinction between:

1) Writing a bunch of things about players, when we "know" that parents/friends of said players are on the board (lurking if not posting).
2) Having an on-board disagreement directly with parents/friends of players.

Most here are arguing that #1 is ok, but #2 turns you into a .

I would argue that #2 is ok as long as you are being civil about it.

As to #1, I personally try to temper my comments re: individual players because I think the fact that there isn't a family member there to argue with doesn't mean that they aren't reading what is written.

So, if Carl is a , he is a for going overboard with #1. Getting on him for his banter with Lyle Sr. makes people feel better, but let's not act like the lack of "face-to-face" arguments with players' families on the board makes this a welcome environment for players' families. There is a reason that most of them don't post here. I would imagine that most of them are smart enough to see through the "Good luck to your son" in one thread by poster X, while poster X is ripping the same player in another thread (which presumably is ok because the parent didn't post in that particular thread).

BTW - I'm not saying this is a solvable issue on a public board. I just find some of the logic strained.

I hear ya. But it might have been a bit overboard when Puppy offered to have Carl over to the parents' tailgate, and Carl treated it like he was about to get shanked in the parking lot... :confused:

Reaction Score
I hear ya. But it might have been a bit overboard when Puppy offered to have Carl over to the parents' tailgate, and Carl treated it like he was about to get shanked in the parking lot... :confused:

Right. But that conversation happened "within" the thread entitled "Carl - stop being a "...

Reaction Score
Maybe we should round up all of the people that have bashed Lyle on the board. Wonder what the intersection is between that group and the group currently chastising Carl.

I missed Carl's posts, but I'll take full responsibility for bringing up his off the field issues.

I was also one of the few who defended his performance due to the problems on the OL and with the offense in general. The kid has talent, thankfully, he seems to have matured a great deal this year. If the OL can do it's job, he easily should be back to the 1000+ yard rusher he was as a RS Freshman.

Reaction Score
I don't think Carl is a . He cares about the program and sometimes might carry it slightly too far. He practices in gery during those times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom