Cardozo doesn't even start for SC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cardozo doesn't even start for SC

Reaction Score
Did you think SC was better than they were last year?
UConn is better everywhere. Returnees are all better too.
SC looked plodding to me. They've always seemed really dangerous to me in the past. Like if you make a mistake, they'll run past you.
IMO UConn is stronger physically than in years past. Aaliyah's not a freshman anymore. Cooke's not gunna shove anyone around. Paige is better than her. Nika will stand her up.
Sorry, not as impressed as apparently you were.
Ever been passed on "the corporate ladder"? Well, AE's gunna pass Boston like she's standing still. Going 2 or 3 rungs at a time.
I was most impressed by SC. The defense reminded me of Vic Shaffer. Cardosa is fast, she will cause any team problems and Boston is simply THE BEST POST player in college women basketball. But what impressed me the most was SC guard play, this team will be tough to defeat!

Reaction Score
From the west coast, I was impressed with South Carolina, and especially their defense. I love the way South Carolina's guards push the ball, even after a made basket by NC State. Henderson & Zia Cooke are fantastic guards. Dawn Staley has a deep bench that will be a great benefit anytime South Carolina is in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Both Cooke and Henderson shot 3s at a 40% clip last year. I wished they would have taken more instead of forcing the ball inside for turnovers and getting shot clock violations.
Those are nice percentages..., but as a TEAM...SC only hit 33%. I think SC as a team has a strong mid range game and it's bolstered by more than a couple of players. Those are the shots that should replace not only some of those 3s, but as you pointed out forcing the ball inside.

Reaction Score
She (Cardoso) is just not as talented as people think she is, she will be a back up her entire time at SC.
Yes-She is. I will stand by this. The absolute last place she should've transferred to, is South Carolina. Her and Boston play the exact same position and they're similar enough that they can't be on the floor together for long stretches.

If I'm Cardoso, I would've either gone to Vic at Texas or Kim at LSU.

Reaction Score
Yes-She is. I will stand by this. The absolute last place she should've transferred to, is South Carolina. Her and Boston play the exact same position and they're similar enough that they can't be on the floor together for long stretches.

If I'm Cardoso, I would've either gone to Vic at Texas or Kim at LSU.
It wouldn't have mattered where she went, Her year at SU showed what type of player she is. Probably a great person, but on the basketball court her talents are what they are, the film doesn't lie.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why anyone who regularly follows the team thought Cardoso would start Day one for South Carolina. That isn't on brand for South Carolina basketball, the only time any newcomer has started for the team in recent years was when we were either thin or weak at that given position. A'ja Wilson didn't even start her first season but you can't dismiss how much she impacted that season and the program in the following years. As it stands the post is our strength and Cardoso played her part well in being a quality reserve for Boston. The fact that Cardoso played as much as she did given the marquee matchup speaks volumes of how much Dawn trusts and believes in her impact already. Cardoso will be fine and I don't think it's fair or even remotely reasonable to dismiss a player after one game.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Finally watched the game--not the prettiest of battles but a very solid win nonetheless by SC. The players who most stood out to me are Amihere and Cooke. Amihere looks like she's starting to put it together which is scary for opposing teams considering how quick she is for a 6-3 girl with decent handles. Defensively she is stellar and finished well around the basket last night.

Cooke played with a lot more discipline and control than I'm used to seeing from her. She took a number of tough shots but knocked down most of them and appears to be SC's go to player once again. If she stays grounded and isn't too trigger happy, SC is going to be lethal.

The Boston/Cunane matchup was a big bust, but based on last year's performance I don't think that's a big surprise. Boston is fantastic defensively and very capable offensively, but I don't see her ever becoming a dominant scoring player like A'ja Wilson was for them. Dawn appears to like Boston operating out of the high post, which to her credit I thought she did a fine job there and found Littleton for several open looks, but IMO Boston is far more effective just battling inside and muscling through players for baskets. Boston is maybe the best center to come along since Griner so they need to utilize her more. Cunane just did not look very good last night. I think she scored all of her points going up against Cardoso, I don't believe she scored a point being defended by Boston. Boston looks like she is in better shape than a year ago.

The oversupply of talent is going to be a storyline to watch for SC. I'll be surprised if Dawn can hold on to everyone form the 2021 class like she's been able to from her 2019 class. Limited minutes from Johnson (who Henderson got visibly frustrated with at the end of Q1), limited minutes from Beal and no appearance from Feagin and Rivers. Haven't read the thread but the no show by Rivers was very surprising to me...I thought she'd be a staple as a rotation player. I'm not sure what Cardoso's role is going to be this year for SC. She's a talented kid and moves well at 6-7, but defensively Amihere appears to be better and I'll be surprised if she gets more than 15-18 minutes a night. As someone else noted, I'm surprised she chose SC over the likes of LSU or Texas.

For NC State, they just looked bad IMO. Most of that was SC's stifling defense but a lot of their buckets came on bailout plays from Brown Turner or Perez. Neither Robinson nor Hayes impressed in their debuts. SC is a hard matchup for any team this year but I didn't think NC State competed well.

Reaction Score
I’m a lot less surprised by Cardoso not starting and more surprised that neither Rivers nor Feagin got any time in the game.
Honestly it's not too surprising. Feagin specifically has a lot of experienced and talented forwards ahead of her this early in the season. Dawn values defense and in this matchup that's what she going for, while she's raved about Rivers being a gifted scorer and passer she has made it known that her defense isn't up to par yet, with a team like NC State with gifted 3 point shooters, she wasn't going to let them get comfortable with lackluster defense.

Reaction Score
Finally watched the game--not the prettiest of battles but a very solid win nonetheless by SC. The players who most stood out to me are Amihere and Cooke. Amihere looks like she's starting to put it together which is scary for opposing teams considering how quick she is for a 6-3 girl with decent handles. Defensively she is stellar and finished well around the basket last night.

Cooke played with a lot more discipline and control than I'm used to seeing from her. She took a number of tough shots but knocked down most of them and appears to be SC's go to player once again. If she stays grounded and isn't too trigger happy, SC is going to be lethal.

The Boston/Cunane matchup was a big bust, but based on last year's performance I don't think that's a big surprise. Boston is fantastic defensively and very capable offensively, but I don't see her ever becoming a dominant scoring player like A'ja Wilson was for them. Dawn appears to like Boston operating out of the high post, which to her credit I thought she did a fine job there and found Littleton for several open looks, but IMO Boston is far more effective just battling inside and muscling through players for baskets. Boston is maybe the best center to come along since Griner so they need to utilize her more. Cunane just did not look very good last night. I think she scored all of her points going up against Cardoso, I don't believe she scored a point being defended by Boston. Boston looks like she is in better shape than a year ago.

The oversupply of talent is going to be a storyline to watch for SC. I'll be surprised if Dawn can hold on to everyone form the 2021 class like she's been able to from her 2019 class. Limited minutes from Johnson (who Henderson got visibly frustrated with at the end of Q1), limited minutes from Beal and no appearance from Feagin and Rivers. Haven't read the thread but the no show by Rivers was very surprising to me...I thought she'd be a staple as a rotation player. I'm not sure what Cardoso's role is going to be this year for SC. She's a talented kid and moves well at 6-7, but defensively Amihere appears to be better and I'll be surprised if she gets more than 15-18 minutes a night. As someone else noted, I'm surprised she chose SC over the likes of LSU or Texas.

For NC State, they just looked bad IMO. Most of that was SC's stifling defense but a lot of their buckets came on bailout plays from Brown Turner or Perez. Neither Robinson nor Hayes impressed in their debuts. SC is a hard matchup for any team this year but I didn't think NC State competed well.
Boston has gotten herself in shape and looks much quicker this season........Defensively she's really tough but I think the strategy to go right at her on the offensive end to get her into foul trouble makes sense.......also it still looks like you can get in her head a bit on the court as she's a very emotional player

Reaction Score
I’m a lot less surprised by Cardoso not starting and more surprised that neither Rivers nor Feagin got any time in the game.
I don't think any Gamecock fan is surprised that Cardosa didn't start. Simply put, we have five returning starters from a team that was one tip in away from the championship.

I think we will rarely see the "twin towers" of Boston and Cardosa on the court at the same time. I don't think we will ever see them start together.

Reaction Score
You sure have a lot to say. Do you realize you’re speaking about the two undisputed best post players in the country?

It’s one thing to be a fan of a team, it’s quite another to disparage the opponent without regard to their games. I’m an SC fan — and I still posted on here that Paige was disrespected when the ESPN panel didn’t pick her to repeat as NPOY.

Hope Edwards has developed a mid-range jump shot since you are convinced she is surpassing Boston and Cunane at the speed of light.
Imagine being an SC fan and posting on a UConn board. You people are so weird.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
You sure have a lot to say. Do you realize you’re speaking about the two undisputed best post players in the country?
Yes, and each was playing AGAINST one of the best post players in the country. Boston is an elite defender, and Cunane is strong and has good footwork on defense. These kids are both sore and black-and-blue today from all the banging.

Reaction Score
Honestly it's not too surprising. Feagin specifically has a lot of experienced and talented forwards ahead of her this early in the season. Dawn values defense and in this matchup that's what she going for, while she's raved about Rivers being a gifted scorer and passer she has made it known that her defense isn't up to par yet, with a team like NC State with gifted 3 point shooters, she wasn't going to let them get comfortable with lackluster defense.
Ah ok wasn’t aware of the defensive issues they were having. Surprising to me given Rivers reputation coming out of high school was that she was a superb defender. Good on Dawn to send a message right away.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I… I’m speechless.
..But isn’t this the board for general basketball conversations? A board created by moderators that I presume are fans of UConn specifically for us to talk about things not related to UConn women’s basketball.

Isn’t this a thread about South Carolina? But we’re the weird ones?

Sure.

Reaction Score
This is the general WBB forum, Bruce.

I took issue with characterizing the posts in last night’s game as “giant sea lions,” hence my comment about disparagement without regard to game.

You should’ve sat this one out.

Reaction Score
I… I’m speechless.

..But isn’t this the board for general basketball conversations? A board created by moderators that I presume are fans of UConn specifically for us to talk about things not related to UConn women’s basketball.

Isn’t this a thread about South Carolina? But we’re the weird ones?

Sure.
Well, we are weird. I say it proudly as a fan who attended every football game in 1999.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Last year as a freshman, I thought Aaliyah did about as good a job on Boston as anyone for UConn. On both of Boston’s missed shots at the end of regulation Aaliyah was bodied up against Boston with a hand in her face, never letting Boston elevate. Without Aaliyah’s tough defense, UConn doesn’t get to OT and “the bounce” never happens.
It should also be noted that Liv can also defend Boston pretty well- I know, sounds strange especially coming from me but it is true. Liv actually did a very nice job defending Boston in SC the first matchup when UCONN was in a man to man defense.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It should also be noted that Liv can also defend Boston pretty well- I know, sounds strange especially coming from me but it is true. Liv actually did a very nice job defending Boston in SC the first matchup when UCONN was in a man to man defense.
And ironically, the team did a lousy job defending Cardoso. She was open all game but her team didn't get her the ball. And it was more them than the perimeter D.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom