Cardozo doesn't even start for SC | The Boneyard

Cardozo doesn't even start for SC

PvP

Reaction Score
I was surprised that she couldn't crack the starting lineup. She replaced Boston with 3+ minutes left in the opening quarter.

I expected SC to develop a twin towers approach and seeing Dorka and Aliyah take it on.

Reaction Score
Boston and Culhane are as good as they are gunna get. Watching the two of them go at it, is 40 minutes of watching basketball I am never going to get back. UConn players and especially post players get better!
Even Shaq would cut across the lane to post up. (BTW brilliant use of the jump stop, enabling him to use either foot as the pivot foot)
These two planted (like they had roots growing into the hardwood) in the low block calling for the ball. For what?
Hideous!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't think Dawn is any more committed to the permanence of her first-game starting lineup than Geno was on Sunday. It could easily change in the future or vary by opponent. Based on what I saw of this game (I didn't see it all), I think all four SC posts are high quality, but Boston and Cardoso seem to have the edge.

I was surprised that Boston played at the high post even with no one low, but she did execute a number of drag plays effectively on Cunane and the other NCST opponents that she faced.

I think UConn's post players will have trouble with Boston, but not so much with the other three. Of greater concern is the ability of SC's guards to penetrate. I can see them doing that effectively against UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't think Dawn is any more committed to the permanence of her first-game starting lineup than Geno was on Sunday. It could easily change in the future or vary by opponent. Based on what I saw of this game (I didn't see it all), I think all four SC posts are high quality, but Boston and Cardoso seem to have the edge.

I was surprised that Boston played at the high post even with no one low, but she did execute a number of drag plays effectively on Cunane and the other NCST opponents that she faced.

I think UConn's post players will have trouble with Boston, but not so much with the other three. Of greater concern is the ability of SC's guards to penetrate. I can see them doing that effectively against UConn.
SC's bigs did not need to touch the ball too much due to guard's offense. Physical defense by SC - alot of pushing esp. by guards. Paige and Azzi can expect to receive significant bumping up and down the court.

Reaction Score

Did you think SC was better than they were last year?
UConn is better everywhere. Returnees are all better too.
SC looked plodding to me. They've always seemed really dangerous to me in the past. Like if you make a mistake, they'll run past you.
IMO UConn is stronger physically than in years past. Aaliyah's not a freshman anymore. Cooke's not gunna shove anyone around. Paige is better than her. Nika will stand her up.
Sorry, not as impressed as apparently you were.
Ever been passed on "the corporate ladder"? Well, AE's gunna pass Boston like she's standing still. Going 2 or 3 rungs at a time.

Reaction Score
I was surprised that she couldn't crack the starting lineup. She replaced Boston with 3+ minutes left in the opening quarter.

I expected SC to develop a twin towers approach and seeing Dorka and Aliyah take it on.
Did you watch the 4th quarter? Amihere and Boston were dominate as SC pulled away. Forget about Cardosa, Amihere is the real deal.

Reaction Score
0A894965-17EE-4526-B0A1-9B9566B65C71.jpeg
333C2E1F-793D-4CF9-A980-DF34F00138A1.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
SC’s best 5, the same 5 that finished the game, is Boston, Amihere, Beal, Henderson & Cooke. Amihere is significantly more athletic than Cardoso, and she can defend the perimeter. It’s still very early, and things can change, but right now Cardoso is basically backing up Boston.

Reaction Score
S
Carolina looked like the same team as last
Year(very good defensively and struggle on the offense at times) with two changes
Amihere is significantly better and with Cardozo
They don’t lose much when Boston goes out
I thought Cardozo played excellent defense
With extended time in the 2nd quarter and
IMHO was responsible for s car keeping their lead

Reaction Score
Cardoso doesn't play hardly and they still win by 9. Tells me more about how loaded SC is than anything. Also tells me that Cardoso can sit and there's no problem, yet we have people already wanting Dorka to start.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sigh People. This SCar team is going to get better. Let's try to remember this team also has a lot of new players who are trying to get a feel for Dawn's system. Yes, right now, this is the same team as last year. Shoot first, dribble penetrate guards that are mediocre passers who just cannot understand how to get the ball to their forwards in good shooting position. Dawn can sit Boston as much as she wants, but Boston will still occasionally get frustrated because of the lack of touches, especially when she works so hard to get position. If Boston can't get the ball in good position, what chance does a newcomer like Cardoso have?

But make no mistake, Raven Johnson can pass the rock as well as get to the rim. Saniya Rivers and Sanya Feagin are crazy talented players and they are going to contribute in a big way. My worry is has Dawn really addressed the issues they had last year: A team that can consistently hit that perimeter shot taking the pressure off the middle and open up the lanes? Instead of allowing SCar's guards to shoot from the arc NC State was consistently beaten off the dribble for layups and pull ups. In the last quarter or so SCar was more effective at getting the ball to their forwards in good position. I can see them getting better at this as the year goes on. UConn and Stanford beat SCar by collapsing the middle daring SCar to beat them from the perimeter, not allowing dribble penetration, and making it hard for them to find their forwards in the lane and on the block. Also UConn has Paige and Stanford has Jones, and SCar doesn't. Can SCar hit enough from the arc this year to open things up in the lane? We'll see.

Yes, I think UConn can beat either of these teams. No, I don't think it will be easy.

Reaction Score
yeah, i thought she played fine in her role. SC doesn't seem like they have the best entry passers to the post, so she had limited touches in the paint. No shade though, I think they have a great squad. I do think it kinda sucks that a player that had the freshman year that she had may have such a limited role. I hope Geno doesn't do Dorka like that in big games.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Was not impressed with either team, especially from the 3pt line. SC 25 and NC St 27 percent, that will not beat many top rated teams.

Reaction Score
Was not impressed with either team, especially from the 3pt line. SC 25 and NC St 27 percent, that will not beat many top rated teams.
first time watching a gamecocks game? It's never pretty lol. That's the point, SC makes it an ugly muggy game and they win it and usually convincingly. Why they are scary, why they are the #1 team

Reaction Score
100%
That's the only way NC St can score. That left handed wing is their best player.
Atrocious post play. This was first and second team AA post players. Uconn's post players were training to get better. AE was toiling with the Canadian olympic team. Holy crap. We're gunna smoke teams in the post too. This is gunna be nuts!
Sorry, gotta say it. Boston and Cuhane looked like two giant sea lions, like we have up here in Alaska, pushing on each other on the shoreline. Ugh.

Reaction Score
100%
That's the only way NC St can score. That left handed wing is their best player.
Atrocious post play. This was first and second team AA post players. Uconn's post players were training to get better. AE was toiling with the Canadian olympic team. Holy crap. We're gunna smoke teams in the post too. This is gunna be nuts!
Sorry, gotta say it. Boston and Cuhane looked like two giant sea lions, like we have up here in Alaska, pushing on each other on the shoreline. Ugh.
You sure have a lot to say. Do you realize you’re speaking about the two undisputed best post players in the country?

It’s one thing to be a fan of a team, it’s quite another to disparage the opponent without regard to their games. I’m an SC fan — and I still posted on here that Paige was disrespected when the ESPN panel didn’t pick her to repeat as NPOY.

Hope Edwards has developed a mid-range jump shot since you are convinced she is surpassing Boston and Cunane at the speed of light.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is there gonna be a new South Carolina thread after EVERY one of their games this season? (Isn't there already a subforum that specializes in SC-related threads? Probably a better place for it.)

If so, can we at least show the courtesy of spelling their names right? It's Cardoso.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cardoso doesn't play hardly and they still win by 9. Tells me more about how loaded SC is than anything. Also tells me that Cardoso can sit and there's no problem, yet we have people already wanting Dorka to start.

She played probably 10 minutes in the second half including most of the third quarter.

In addition to a fair number of minutes in first half.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I know it's early, but the shooting percentages for both teams were pretty sad.
My thought is "good defense". This is not directed at you...

Last year UCONN beat SC in overtime. Barely. We shot 2-13 from 3, they shot 1-9. Overall FG% was 39% for UCONN, 36% for SC. Not much separated the teams. The difference was we had Paige and they didn't.

Point is, rarely IMHO do you see a game between top teams end up with both scoring well into the 70's or higher...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom