Cardoso to transfer[merged thread] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Cardoso to transfer[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She clearly needs to be taught up and developed...but you can’t teach 6’7”. If she is willing to work hard to become the best she can be, UCONN is the place.

Reaction Score
It's Cardoso or bust. We need consistent scoring bigs & a more physical presence to compete in the Final Four, especially w/Betts ready to dominate at Stanford. Cardoso is the ACC defensive player of the year at 6'7". Exactly what Geno needs.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We may be entering the long twilight of WCBB as we have known it,

Reaction Score
Some people will never get playing time except for the most garbage of garbage time. It’s exciting to think of her coming to UConn but also a little sad for those who will lose playing time. Could you imagine coming to the school of your dreams and then seeing others come in after you and take what you thought was your playing time that must be very upsetting.
It is never "your" playing time. It is to be earned.

Reaction Score
Some people will never get playing time except for the most garbage of garbage time. It’s exciting to think of her coming to UConn but also a little sad for those who will lose playing time. Could you imagine coming to the school of your dreams and then seeing others come in after you and take what you thought was your playing time that must be very upsetting.

Everyone who played or coached college sports soon learned an important axiom, & that was, in sports you never take turns. If UConn, for example, won the Big East title 10 times in a row it’s not someone else’s turn to win it. As a player about the time you think it’s your turn to play because both players at your position graduated, the staff lands a high school All American, a juco star, or in today’s world a talented player from the portal. The quick makeover of a roster in this environment makes this old rule an even bigger truth than in the past. JMO

Reaction Score
We actually might need her next year to win the National Championship, if all 4 seniors leave and don't use their extra year of eligibility.
Doubt it... you'd still have Paige/Azzi/Aaliyah, three potential AA... with Ducharme/Patterson/Deberry/Brady with great upside. Cardoso would be an interesting pick up... but UConn doesn't need her to win anything.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
To be elite she needs to be developed and UConn will develop her.
She's a top player today. She would have killed us inside if her teammates were good enough to get her the ball. Having said that, I think her coming here would make UConn even more hated. It wouldn't pass the smell test.

Reaction Score
It's Cardoso or bust. We need consistent scoring bigs & a more physical presence to compete in the Final Four, especially w/Betts ready to dominate at Stanford. Cardoso is the ACC defensive player of the year at 6'7". Exactly what Geno needs.
Huh? I'm going to take this as sarcasm.... if not then you don't have a clue.

Reaction Score
transferring from Syracuse to UConn................the two programs couldn't be more different.............if it happened it would be strange, very strange............... :eek: :eek:

Reaction Score
She's a top player today. She would have killed us inside if her teammates were good enough to get her the ball. Having said that, I think her coming here would make UConn even more hated. It wouldn't pass the smell test.
That's precisely the issue in the women's game a big even a dominant big can be neutralized. Someone has to get them the ball, they have to be able to work out of double teams. That's why guard play is far more valuable. They have far more control of the game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I do not think that "a sniff" warrants "a pat on the back." perhaps a wry, imperceptible smile.
It wasn't a sniff. It was a full on allergy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saw this earlier today and put some time in looking up Cardoso, watched a game and a half, interview and some highlights.

This kid smiles a lot, check out her media guide bio, it's just her natural look. Also, English is not her first language, I wonder if she smiles a lot during the game because she struggles to communicate with officials quickly. She does communicate with her team a lot, she's a cheerleader in the mold of Dolson.

On offense she's a load downlow but needs to get in better shape. She is willing to run down the court hard and look for an early post. She is a willing passer but didn't see anything spectacular. She is an active offensive rebounder and doesn't just get them being 6'7".

On defense she seemed bored in a zone. Mind you, she was the DPOTY in the ACC, seemed like it didn't get the best out of her. Once again, needs to get in better shape but has unlimited potential on that end of the court.

If there was ever a kid to take a shot on its her, imho. She has lots to work on but the upside is ridiculous and I don't think you will see some of the antics seen in the tournament, if she decides to come to UConn.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Once again, needs to get in better shape but has unlimited potential on that end of the court.
If you had seen her in high school you'd realize she's in far better shape now than she was then. A significant body transformation. She's lean now and she wasn't two years ago.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It was May 1st, but was moved to July 1st for fall and winter sports because of the timing of the transfer waiver decision.
This is the deadline to sign and be immediately eligible isn't it? The transfer portal never 'closes' does it, players can always transfer.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thanks, the plot is really thickening if she comes here. I can't even imagine what Geno is going to do.
There are lots of possible scenarios here. If Cardoso comes, that means she and ONO could split time at the 5 position. If either of them gets in early foul trouble,
is "off" that night, gets hurt or just needs a blow, the other one can sub in. Those two can reasonably split/share the post minutes more or less. Having Cardoso means none of the other players will be asked to play in the 5 hole this upcoming season.

I'm also assuming that at some point during the year, Piath Gabriel will learn the system and earn some meaningful minutes, and be available for spot duty as needed. You can also have both of them in the game at the same time with Liv at the top of the key (where she likes to play) and Cardoso on the block. If Dorka Juhasz is by chance gets in the game along with Cardoso and ONO, one could expect for UConn to get most of the rebounds on either end while those 3 were in the game. Not many teams would match up with a front line of 6-7, 6-5 and 6-4. :confused: Cardoso would simply complement what UConn already has. She would not be asked or expected to carry the team or do any heavy lifting. That job has been filled. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My opinion.
Plenty of athletes now.
More than enough.
Don’t need her.
No space.
Haven’t current team members committed to Geno/UConn/system?
Has Geno committed to them?
C-H-E-M-I-S-T-R-Y
(JMHO)

Reaction Score
The loss of athletes' loyalty is making me uneasy and my stomach queasy as the business gets more and more sleazy.
I can appreciate your concerns about loyalty as it is an important aspect of the team dynamic in sports, but do you have the same standard for coaches who recruit players and then leave them high and dry for greener pastures? Did you say this about Morgan Valley who just bolted her team to rejoin UConn? Does her apparent lack of loyalty sicken you?

Reaction Score
It was May 1st, but was moved to July 1st for fall and winter sports because of the timing of the transfer waiver decision.
Only if there is a coaching change or a player loses their scholarship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom