Cardoso to transfer[merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cardoso to transfer[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
My understanding is that they gave a one year exemption for 5th year players on roster size - Uconn has no 5th year so I doubt they qualify.

The portal has been around, but the number of grad transfers is almost 3 times last year (300 rather than 100) due to that 5th year. But that is a situation that is going to be around for 4 more years.

The immediate eligibility is based on a one time transfer - and we have maybe 33% of all D1 players transferring - I think this is likely the result of a backlog of desire to leave but reluctance to sit out that existed before this change.

There is also going to be a three year logjam of players deciding to play 5 years and recruits discovering that the team they had sign with has suddenly got a bunch of additional very experienced players blocking their advancement. That will likely drive more transfers.

This is a major headache for players and coaches and I don't think we have yet reached an understanding of the fallout. There will be recruits that de-commit from verbals, there will be more players that transfer quickly, and more coaches taking transfers. And it will not 'settle' until the freshman this year graduate or use their 5th year. Nightmare!

Reaction Score
So start Paige and Azzi at guard, AE and Dorka at forward, and Cardoza at post. Then bring in Nika, CW, Caroline, ONO, and Amari. Then...Saylor, AG, Mir, PG, and Evina (this group needs mom’s steadying hand) and Autumn is assistant coach in charge of keeping track of roster.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She went 5-9, with 12 points, 1 block, 1 steal and 7 rebounds (4 offensive) in 23 minutes.
Liv played a little better with 7-11, 17 points, 8 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block in 31 minutes.
To me those are pretty comparable numbers, Liv even played more than her and was surrounded by much more talent. Also those are numbers she’s putting up as a freshman...So I don’t know if that’s considered handled.
If I remember the game correctly, she was dominant in the first quarter and faded as the game went on.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So start Paige and Azzi at guard, AE and Dorka at forward, and Cardoza at post. Then bring in Nika, CW, Caroline, ONO, and Amari. Then...Saylor, AG, Mir, PG, and
Evina does not crack the top 15?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
My understanding is that they gave a one year exemption for 5th year players on roster size - Uconn has no 5th year so I doubt they qualify.

The portal has been around, but the number of grad transfers is almost 3 times last year (300 rather than 100) due to that 5th year. But that is a situation that is going to be around for 3 more years.

The immediate eligibility is based on a one time transfer - and we have maybe 33% of all D1 players transferring - I think this is likely the result of a backlog of desire to leave but reluctance to sit out that existed before this change.

There is also going to be a three year logjam of players deciding to play 5 years and recruits discovering that the team they had sign with has suddenly got a bunch of additional very experienced players blocking their advancement. That will likely drive more transfers.

This is a major headache for players and coaches and I don't think we have yet reached an understanding of the fallout. There will be recruits that de-commit from verbals, there will be more players that transfer quickly, and more coaching taking transfers. And it will not 'settle' until the freshman this year graduate or use their 5th year. Nightmare!
I guess it may well be a nightmare in the short term, but most college athletes get to transfer one year free and not have to sit out. Or at least they made it equal across the board for all sports - not sure which ones allowed it previously. And by the way, coaches can take a job anywhere any time, leave their current team, and not have to "sit out" a year.

So there will be a shake out. We discussed this a lot on the board right? It will be difficult in that any player who feels like they didn't get the PT they wanted or deserved, or for any reason really, can jump with impunity for their first switch. In places like UCONN, where even tho Geno tells kids ALL THE TIME:
  • Playing time is not guaranteed
  • Practice habits and body language when on the bench MATTERS
  • If you are good, you will play. If you are not, you won't
It still seems like every time a kid is interviewed in her sophomore or junior year, the same comment comes up over and over again "I knew it would be hard, but I had no idea it would be THIS hard". And famously "My hard is not their hard".

It's easy for me to say "in general the best players will stay at UCONN and play", but we really haven't had a player who was highly rated/ranked leave UCONN because they wanted more PT, or it wasn't the right place for them. Maybe I will change my tune when that happens.

Bottom line, the best players will play. I have NO ISSUE if Geno stocks up on the top 3 players in every class every single year. Invariably, some of those kids will thrive, some will not, and some may ultimately leave. But the BEST players probably won't. Time will tell for sure!!

Reaction Score
Evina does not crack the top 15?
The entry accidentally posted before I could add her. And Autumn moves up as associate head coach in charge of keeping track of roster.

Reaction Score
If she does come to UCONN I am concerned about everyones playing time next year. We will have a ton of talent.
I am just thinking bigs- Ono, Edwards, DeBerry, Dorka (Last name I am blanking on) and now Cardoso for the big bigs....Plus we have Paith.... who I really was hoping would get some more playing time next season.

I am curious what happens at the end of next year. Does Dorka do one and done? Will we have four players leaving, and of that 2 bigs.
I will take Cardoso over Piath everyday. They’re the same year why wouldn’t we want the player with proven talent and experience? Piath wasn’t going to be an impact player next year anyways. Cardoso will have 3 years to develop so I think it would be silly not to take her if given the option. Geno never guarantees anyone minutes and says that’s on you, so I don’t know why anyone would be expecting minutes (even Cardoso)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I guess it may well be a nightmare in the short term, but most college athletes get to transfer one year free and not have to sit out. Or at least they made it equal across the board for all sports - not sure which ones allowed it previously. And by the way, coaches can take a job anywhere any time, leave their current team, and not have to "sit out" a year.

So there will be a shake out. We discussed this a lot on the board right? It will be difficult in that any player who feels like they didn't get the PT they wanted or deserved, or for any reason really, can jump with impunity for their first switch. In places like UCONN, where even tho Geno tells kids ALL THE TIME:
  • Playing time is not guaranteed
  • Practice habits and body language when on the bench MATTERS
  • If you are good, you will play. If you are not, you won't
It still seems like every time a kid is interviewed in her sophomore or junior year, the same comment comes up over and over again "I knew it would be hard, but I had no idea it would be THIS hard". And famously "My hard is not their hard".

It's easy for me to say "in general the best players will stay at UCONN and play", but we really haven't had a player who was highly rated/ranked leave UCONN because they wanted more PT, or it wasn't the right place for them. Maybe I will change my tune when that happens.

Bottom line, the best players will play. I have NO ISSUE if Geno stocks up on the top 3 players in every class every single year. Invariably, some of those kids will thrive, some will not, and some may ultimately leave. But the BEST players probably won't. Time will tell for sure!!
I think the 'nightmare' has more to do with fitting 5 year players into a four year system for the next four years. As an example: Uconn recruits its next PG in 2023 class, and then in 2024 Paige and Nika go to the coaches and say, gee, we both want to stay for an extra year. Now Geno has to tell his 2023 recruit that her sophomore season is going to be identical to her freshman year where she got 10 minutes of mop up time in blow out wins and she immediately enters the portal and he has no PG prospect for 2024 as they all already committed and he hasn't really recruited any PG from 2025 either and he is way late to the game.

Or maybe he looks at Paige and Nika and says, gee, you both are great but really I got no room for you next year, and Paige and Nika and their good friends __ and ___ all enter the portal together as a package NC upgrade to U of _________

Reaction Score
If we land Cardoso, Clark and Brink will challenge, but could UConn repeat 2016 and have the top 3 players taken in the 2024 WNBA draft?

Reaction Score
Wow, I'm glad that Geno is pursuing bigs in the off-season. UConn has elite players in guard position. We should have done better to the weakeast spot as well.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
You can argue good or bad, but I trust Geno. I can't believe there will be too many more freshman classes left where he will be there for the end of their senior year. He also knows depth is going to be me more of a premium if players are moving left and right. So maybe he thinking of a line from a popular Def Leopard...Better to burn out than fade away.

Reaction Score
Alson You can argue good or bad, but I trust Geno. I can't believe there will be too many more freshman classes left where he will be there for the end of their senior year. He also knows depth is going to be me more of a premium if players are moving left and right. So maybe he thinking of a line from a popular Def Leopard...Better to burn out than fade away.
Remember rust never sleeps.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I gotta wonder what she wants long term. Ive seen her play. To be elite she needs to be developed and UConn will develop her. Does she sit out a season to learn or does she want to play right away???? Development takes time so maybe a season working on her development is the answer. She is everything a coach is looking for in a big but again she needs to be developed, learn the fundamentals much like Tina Kiah Steph Kara and the rest.

Reaction Score
I gotta wonder what she wants long term. Ive seen her play. To be elite she needs to be developed and UConn will develop her. Does she sit out a season to learn or does she want to play right away???? Development takes time so maybe a season working on her development is the answer. She is everything a coach is looking for in a big but again she needs to be developed, learn the fundamentals much like Tina Kiah Steph Kara and the rest.
Why would she sit out when she has four years of eligibility left?

Reaction Score
My nose smelled this coming long ago. I didn't comment on it, but I'm now patting myself on the back. Kamilla Cardosa, come on down!!!
And me too I felt it ....telepathy and wishful thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr