Cardoso to transfer[merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cardoso to transfer[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’ll be honest I don’t know how I feel about this one. She’s a great talent and one that would thrive at UCONN but at what cost in minutes to current players and the potential to have a stunt in growth for those coming off the bench. Tough one for me to wrestle with.

BTW I live an hour north of Syracuse so good on the BY to get to this news before my local news does!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I guess the delay in the announcement is finding a way to photoshop a big enough uniform on her. ;);)

Biff would be on top of that yesterday if/when she commits to UConn.

Hey, any size you need!

any_size.gif

Reaction Score
Here is an AP article written in the last day (Before this Cardoso news) about Q and the 11 transfers. I do have to say that while I am not a big fan of Q, I respected how he handled Tiana Mangakahia's breast cancer diagnosis and recovery. Be her accounts, his support off the court was critical in this journey. This article gave rationale about the 11 transfers and why he wasn't worried. Now with Cardoso going, he should be worried.

Reaction Score
If she does come to UCONN I am concerned about everyones playing time next year. We will have a ton of talent.
I am just thinking bigs- Ono, Edwards, DeBerry, Dorka (Last name I am blanking on) and now Cardoso for the big bigs....Plus we have Paith.... who I really was hoping would get some more playing time next season.

I am curious what happens at the end of next year. Does Dorka do one and done? Will we have four players leaving, and of that 2 bigs.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
And people though Valley wasn't going to be a good AC - she has only just started and already working her magic in the transfer portal! Immediate impact! :cool: :eek::p
Good one, UC
The other thing to consider: Geno may know something about his team that we don't. Hence adding potentially two additional players through the transfer portal in the first three weeks of the off-season.
I'm with you.

Reaction Score
Here is an AP article written in the last day (Before this Cardoso news) about Q and the 11 transfers. I do have to say that while I am not a big fan of Q, I respected how he handled Tiana Mangakahia's breast cancer diagnosis and recovery. Be her accounts, his support off the court was critical in this journey. This article gave rationale about the 11 transfers and why he wasn't worried. Now with Cardoso going, he should be worried.

From article, Still, losing so many players to the portal was something of a stunner. Hillsman said he was ready to welcome as many as 21 players next season.

If the above statement is true, could it be existing players knew they had to fight not only to play but to make to team next season?

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I don't think she would start. Liv and Aaliyah handled her easily in the tourney. She needs to come in and get some instruction and conditioning before even thinking about her starting. She has great possibility though...
In memory of Jim Steinman, "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kaizen, I am holding you to that. If she comes, I hope it does not affect Brady's decision to come to UConn.
Don, I was joking about the post saying it is from Cardoso's mom. But I do hear from a friend saying in Syracuse people already speculating she is going to UConn, and will announce soon. Not sure it is true or not but hope we will see soon.

Reaction Score
I've only seen Cardoso play for the 'Cuse 3 times this year. She seems very laid back and seems not to take the game too seriously. Maybe got that attitude at Syracuse and maybe brought it with her but I can't see that playing well at UConn. I would assume she would know what would be expected here and would not come if that was an issue. I don't remember UConn recruiting here. If they didn't perhaps this was her way of getting where she wanted to be. Until I hear her say she wants to go to UConn it is somebody's fantasy.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
I believe Geno is considering a more uptempo style using the press more than in recent seasons. With or without Cardoso he has the players to do it. If he sticks with the year end lineup of Paige, Evina, Liv, AE and CW he has a pretty good defensive starting five. Then he can bring in 3 good defenders from the bench in Nika, AG, and Mir, along with a good rebounder in Dorka and a lights out shooter in Azzi. Add 2 more G/Fs (Caroline and Saylor) and another PF (Amari) and there is alot of flexibility to play multiple styles.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I am kinda stunned by this possibility. Is this new portal provision permanent for the years to come...unless changed?

I would think neither Brady or Patterson would be affected by this...both are forwards and Kamilla seems like a true/BLUE
center.
Wherever Kamilla goes she would have 4 more years of eligibility if she so desired due to covid...correct?
Might that affect our center prospects from 2023 and maybe 2024?

Reaction Score
I've only seen Cardoso play for the 'Cuse 3 times this year. She seems very laid back and seems not to take the game too seriously. Maybe got that attitude at Syracuse and maybe brought it with her but I can't see that playing well at UConn. I would assume she would know what would be expected here and would not come if that was an issue. I don't remember UConn recruiting here. If they didn't perhaps this was her way of getting where she wanted to be. Until I hear her say she wants to go to UConn it is somebody's fantasy.
Don't let that fool you. She's a quiet riot. And yes...she is laid back.

Reaction Score
Has the NCAA raised the limit on team size to account for the extra year they gave because of COVID? If not I'm sure that is a major reason for the huge number of players in the portal. It is a free opportunity to get to play somewhere else, or stay put an extra year. I bet many coaches in the exit interviews were frank telling players there would not be a roster spot next year for the seniors. This is like the first year of free agency.

Reaction Score
From article, Still, losing so many players to the portal was something of a stunner. Hillsman said he was ready to welcome as many as 21 players next season.

If the above statement is true, could it be existing players knew they had to fight not only to play but to make to team next season?

Is Q the new football coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul