OT: - Car buying fees | The Boneyard

OT: Car buying fees

Reaction Score
It's been a while. What fees are dealers charging today. I know tax, title, registration and conveyance is all I want to deal wlth. Not even sure about conveyance, but it is what it is I guess.

A lot of inventory and rates are high, so something's got to give and that's prices. This isn't the same as buying during Covid where prices were ridiculous.

Any thoughts?

Reaction Score
I bought a Tacoma 2 years ago. They had 3 tings on the sticker that were complete bunk. Nitrogen tires $300. Lo-Jack $1000- I told the salesmen I thought they went out of business 20 years ago. Forgot what the last item was but in total it was like an additional 3k over sticker. I threatened to walk and poof… all those things went away. There will also be a destination/delivery fee 1,000-1500ish) which I believe is actually a federal or state law, no getting out of that.

Reaction Score
It's been a while. What fees are dealers charging today. I know tax, title, registration and conveyance is all I want to deal wlth. Not even sure about conveyance, but it is what it is I guess.

A lot of inventory and rates are high, so something's got to give and that's prices. This isn't the same as buying during Covid where prices were ridiculous.

Any thoughts?
There is one fee that is BS. Might be conveyance or dealership fee.

I asked what the fee was once and they said that is a fee we tell you to pay. LOL.

Reaction Score

Any thoughts?
They'll try and hit you with dealer processing fees, dealer prep fees, doc fees, license fees etc. and things like lo jack and non scratch/chip paint coating...

Some fees are non-negotiable, it depends on what state you're in.

Start off by getting them to move down on the sticker price because it's going to balloon a lot when they hit you with the actual sale price. Find out which fees are mandatory in your state so you know to automatically tell them you're walking on any additional fees they try and hit you with.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm hoping to be purchasing a car next week.
TBH, I bought my car 10 years ago next week. The story I read at the time is that dealers get incentives for making quotas. If you catch a dealer that needs a couple of sales to make a quota, he'll work with you. Back then, I had a dealer come in $1,200 less than the rest of the bids. I kept waiting for the catch, but it never happened. No buyers remorse was a nice feeling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People are not buying new cars because of the insane prices and high rates. The Fed is lowering rates so by the end of 2025 it will be better. Also inventory gut and price cuts hopefully help. Buy low mileage used if possible too.

Reaction Score
People are not buying new cars because of the insane prices and high rates. The Fed is lowering rates so by the end of 2025 it will be better. Also inventory gut and price cuts hopefully help. Buy low mileage used if possible too.
Watch out for flood damage. Been a lot of that going around.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
They're going to push VIN etching and the like for a princely sum. Decline it.
They can't legally anymore. CT passed a law recently that dealers can sell vin etch as an optional option only.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
You will almost always get a better deal at the end of the month and if the vehicle is in stock.

Reaction Score
They can't legally anymore. CT passed a law recently that dealers can sell vin etch as an optional option only.

I have no idea what you're getting at.

Dealers add it to the line item list. You decline it because it's optional... that's what I just wrote.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I've always found going online and finding the fleet dealer and going through that person works best. Your Costco/Sams/AAA will qualify you to go through fleet. Those guys are happy to get $300 to $500 over dealer cost (not sticker) and there's almost no reason to haggle. Sometimes even less than dealer cost as they get compensated for bulk sales.

My last two BMWs were under dealer cost just by going to the fleet person. My wife's Audi was $300 over dealer cost. No upsale, no rust proofing, they just want to move units in the most timely manner. In and out in under an hour after dealing with them through email.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Just went through it a few weeks ago, there are some random line items on the sticker price you can probably cut out, like Lo Jack. Others, like floor mats, probably not.

Do some research ahead of time on dealers and read other people’s experiences of Google reviews. Some dealers are harder to negotiate those “extras” with than others.

We live in TN and decided to go to a dealer like 45 minutes away rather than a few closer ones because they had good reviews on the buying experience. And it was a super simple sales process, we’re glad we did that.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My brother paints cars at a body shop and says you’re better off using ceramic wax once a month than getting the dealership coating.

On the topic, gotta love seeing my car I just traded in for $4000 (had to negotiate up from $3500) go on the lot for $9000 after they told me they were going to lose money because they were going to have to scrap it or sell to an auction because of “how much reconditioning was needed”

Reaction Score
I’ve always found it strange that there are no other manufactured products where the pricing is so subject to gouging. And it shouldnt be that way. No one wants the government to regulate things but consumers should be protected somehow.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
My brother paints cars at a body shop and says you’re better off using ceramic wax once a month than getting the dealership coating.

On the topic, gotta love seeing my car I just traded in for $4000 (had to negotiate up from $3500) go on the lot for $9000 after they told me they were going to lose money because they were going to have to scrap it or sell to an auction because of “how much reconditioning was needed”
That’s frustrating but not surprising.

We weren’t interested in trading in our car, but the sales person said we would be better off trying to sell directly to another person (Facebook marketplace or Craigslist) because we would probably get double or more than what they would offer.

Seems like that would be a headache, and we want to keep the old car anyways, but we appreciated the honesty.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I have no idea what you're getting at.

Dealers add it to the line item list. You decline it because it's optional... that's what I just wrote.
I’ve work in the auto industry for six years. Dealers can’t add it to the line item and act like you have to take it. The law changed on VIN etch in CT last year.

Reaction Score
I’ve work in the auto industry for six years. Dealers can’t add it to the line item and act like you have to take it. The law changed on VIN etch in CT last year.

I know. I remember the law being passed. My FIL has sold used cards for 35 years and was all fired up about it. I still don't understand how what you're telling me adds anything to the point I made homie.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Am hearing the dealerships want you to finance more cuz they get a benefit from the finance company. And, the haggling like days of yore ain't happening.

Reaction Score
Watch those unique fees, which can be commissions in disguise. When reviewing the contract always ask which fees are optional. Even delivery fees can be suspect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom