OT: - Car buying fees | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Car buying fees

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That’s frustrating but not surprising.

We weren’t interested in trading in our car, but the sales person said we would be better off trying to sell directly to another person (Facebook marketplace or Craigslist) because we would probably get double or more than what they would offer.

Seems like that would be a headache, and we want to keep the old car anyways, but we appreciated the honesty.
Yeah we dabbled into this but don’t really have the free time or knowledge.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Here's a great hack I've used. Visit the Lease Hacker forum (like the Boneyard!!). Here you you'll find what makes/models are currently discounted. There are also direct offers from brokers/dealers, AND input from the community on verified deals recently negotiated. Plus, there's a lease/buy calculator to compare your options. First time I used it, leased a car for $299/36 most, identical car a local dealer had just quoted at $452/36mos. Let me find a link for you. Free to use, you only pay a broker fee (5-700) for locating the exact vehicle you want. If they can't get it, it's refunded . You know exactly what you'll be paying beforehand with a detailed costs breakdown.

And never use dealer financing, unless it's 0%

Reaction Score
Here's a great hack I've used. Visit the Lease Hacker forum (like the Boneyard!!). Here you you'll find what makes/models are currently discounted. There are also direct offers from brokers/dealers, AND input from the community on verified deals recently negotiated. Plus, there's a lease/buy calculator to compare your options. First time I used it, leased a car for $299/36 most, identical car a local dealer had just quoted at $452/36mos. Let me find a link for you. Free to use, you only pay a broker fee (5-700) for locating the exact vehicle you want. If they can't get it, it's refunded . You know exactly what you'll be paying beforehand with a detailed costs breakdown.

And never use dealer financing, unless it's 0%

Asked my FIL (manager of a used car lot) about this because he won't leave my house and I'm curious. Apparently it's an idea that started with the uber-rich getting their hands on super expensive cars. Reports are it's a legit website with some caveats: 1) some dealers won't use them, 2) it works best for pretty pricey cars, 3) it's location dependent (you'll be much more successful in NYC than Putnam, for example).

Pretty cool idea though. I've never heard of a car broker like this before. If I was a lease guy, I'd definitely try it out.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Asked my FIL (manager of a used car lot) about this because he won't leave my house and I'm curious. Apparently it's an idea that started with the uber-rich getting their hands on super expensive cars. Reports are it's a legit website with some caveats: 1) some dealers won't use them, 2) it works best for pretty pricey cars, 3) it's location dependent (you'll be much more successful in NYC than Putnam, for example).

Pretty cool idea though. I've never heard of a car broker like this before. If I was a lease guy, I'd definitely try it out.
I can tell you this, I'm as close to Uber rich as our football team is to the Rose Bowl, and right now the best deal I see there is on the Mazdas. All brands are represented, but some are geographically limited. The way I use it is I'd rather lease the car online in 20 minutes and drive to Jersey and get the keys than do the dealer song and dance, especially when I'm saving 20 percent on the exact same vehicle.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

If it’s the same forum I used before, there are a lot of guys in the know in the forums. What they were able to provide was the embedded finance rates on those leases. It was pretty interesting how some leases were great deals vs buying and some were horribly worse. Advertised lease rates on new cars have a lot of obfuscation and the forum cuts through it.

I just pay cash. Unfortunately @Dove is right and they now longer like that either (independent used lots may) because they may get as much on the financing as the sale.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what you're getting at.

Dealers add it to the line item list. You decline it because it's optional... that's what I just wrote.
Bought a new truck last month. I was surprised VIN etching wasn’t added and I even asked about it. Dealer replaced that with key fob replacement insurance. I declined that along with Simoniz that was added.

Reaction Score
I’ve been using services like car bargains. Pain free.
Although last time, 2020, I emailed 5 dealer’s internet contact and requested
their best price. Worked ok, even though 3-4 of them couldn’t follow the rules.
Best price, that’s all

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom