Captains | The Boneyard

Captains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gavin Keefe ‏@GavinKeefe 47m47 minutes ago
Amida Brimah will be a captain again this season. Ollie hasn't decided on his other captains

Who do you guys think will be the other captains? i'd have to say Purvis for sure but I'm not sure about the others...maybe Nolan or Calhoun? Hamilton I believe will be too quiet. Gibbs and Miller are both graduate transfers so unlikely...

Reaction Score
I really hope he names Nolan a captain. I think Purvis is a given. But naming Nolan a captain will keep his spirits high even as his minutes diminish because he will know he has a bigger role on the team - that of a leader on and off the floor.

Reaction Score
Omar the kid oozes perseverance with a smile. He has a ring, stuck around and has not let injuries hold him back. Sure he'll be on the bench but he is an inspiration, and the young-uns could learn from a tough SOB like him.

Anyway it would be a nice reward.

Reaction Score
To be completely honest I don't understand why you would make a junior a captain. I believe it should always go to a senior.

C

Chief00

I both understood and did not understand Brimah being named captain last season. Nice kid for sure but would he push everyone to another level? the answer is that failed to happen.
This year's crew maybe Purvis - Gibbs and Miller are consideration - depends on philosophy. If he was not captain last year I would almost go with those 3 - and add Hamilton and Adams next year.
That's based on what little I have been able to observe this summer.

Reaction Score
Purvis is my first choice for captain based on his enthusiasm and hopefully how players respect him, but really KO knows best who the players look to.

C

Chief00

We will never know the answer - Of course I expect Brimah to remain as Captain but appointing someone as Captain their Sophmore year should be a very high threshold to cross - and is very unusual for a guy who is so raw basketball wise. He also wasn't a leader on the court - which he so often failed to stay on.
Having said that he can be a game changer defensively in bursts. He is Captain criteria in being a genuine good person and he has stayed out of trouble to my knowledge. But his inability to learn and apply basic fundamentals of the game to me to this point and improve his body - I would think maybe being a senior captain is more appropriate - by then he would have hopefully shown more progress in those areas.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I just don't see how you make Brimah a captain for his 2/4 years here...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I really hope he names Nolan a captain. I think Purvis is a given. But naming Nolan a captain will keep his spirits high even as his minutes diminish because he will know he has a bigger role on the team - that of a leader on and off the floor.

None of us know enough about the team to makes specific comments regarding the locker room and team dynamics. But, in general, I'm not a fan of naming a player a captain in hopes of them embracing the role or using the captaincy to grow in to leadership. Nor am I a fan of using it as a morale booster.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You know you try certain things - some work; some don't

Unless you're Yoda.

7362c40fbc481731a624d8015ebad648.jpg

Reaction Score
Of all the things we're not qualified to intelligently comment on, I would say the naming of captains is right up there.

That is a dynamic we just can't observe.

If that is toward me then but if toward someone else then I am laughing! :)

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
To be completely honest I don't understand why you would make a junior a captain. I believe it should always go to a senior.

Was unaware that a leader was determined by solely by age.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I just don't see how you comment on who should and shouldn't be captain without being around the team everyday...
I would think you need to have a great basketball IQ to be a captain, as well as great leadership qualities.

Reaction Score
As Fishy said it could be the guy in practice that lights the most fire when called upon, maybe even from the sidelines. A positive influence amongst teammates as well as respected by them for what he does in practice, on the bench and even off the court.
We don't know who deserves this we can only guess.

Reaction Score
I would think you need to have a great basketball IQ to be a captain, as well as great leadership qualities.
Again, unless you are with the team day in and day out, I don't get how you or anyone else posting on here can comment on any of the players' leadership qualities. As for bbiq, we've had guys who barely even played be named captain so I don't get what that has to do with it. Seeing as how KO is the coach and is seeing what kind of work is being put in by the players on the team, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he is much more qualified to name team captains than any of the jackwagons on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom