Can't believe Hurley said this but you know who he is talking about. | The Boneyard

Can't believe Hurley said this but you know who he is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Playing at UConn you deal with a lot more presure and criticism and, like, immediate meltdown on social media when you lose."

"It is more of a burden to play at UConn than it is an advantage"

The first statement might be true of college sports fans. But the second is aimed directly at a portion of our fan base. If there was ever an indictment of the Negative Nellies in Connecticut this is it. There is something in the character of folks from New England in general but Connecticut in particular that rings true in Hurley's quotes.

I see it in myself and have tried to step back from it. But darn, Hurley didn't pull any punches. It should make everyone think. And if you think this is true of everywhere, live in places like in the south or midwest. They are much less reactionary than the northeast.

Reaction Score
He's getting paid 3 million a year to put up with the fan base. I really don't care if people criticize him unnecessarily, however obnoxious it is.

My issue is when fans start going after individual players. There's no one on our team who isn't giving it their all every night. And they aren't being compensated to put up with the vile BS UConn Twitter will throw at them.

Reaction Score
He's getting paid 3 million a year to put up with the fan base. I really don't care.

My issue is when fans start going after individual players. There's no one on our team who isn't giving it their all every night. And they aren't being compensated to put up with the vile BS UConn Twitter will throw at them.

He was clearly talking about playing at UConn.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
"Playing at UConn you deal with a lot more presure and criticism and, like, immediate meltdown on social media when you lose."

The first statement might be true of college sports fans. But the second is aimed directly at a portion of our fan base. If there was ever an indictment of the Negative Nellies in Connecticut this is it. There is something in the character of folks from New England in general but Connecticut in particular that rings true in Hurley's quotes.

I see it in myself and have tried to step back from it. But darn, Hurley didn't pull any punches. It should make everyone think. And if you think this is true of everywhere, live in places like in the south or midwest. They are much less reactionary than the northeast.

At the game last night, A couple of UConn fans near me behind the St Mary's bench were absolutely brutal to the St Mary's players. It was embarrassing

At MSG and on this board, same thing, towards our own team. People have to chill, leave the kids alone, and enjoy the ride.

And know this negative nellies and debbie downers, nobody respects you. You're making fools of yourselves. People don't like being around negative people, just bad karma. Learn how to enjoy life, and stop crying. We're blessed, you need to appreciate that.

Reaction Score
He's getting paid 3 million a year to put up with the fan base. I really don't care.

Is there much of that on UConn twitter though? All I see from UConn Twitter is Mister fat balls and the other dorks and they worship at Hurley's feet and post about how they want to hang out with all the players. They're a bit embarrassing but all they do is promote how awesome UConn basketball is.

I don't doubt there are a few lunatics who creep onto the players social media after a bad game to flame them but every fanbase in the country has a few mouthbreathers.

If he's talking about the boneyard, it doesn't get personal here.

His presser was funny yesterday, he let an f bomb slip at the end.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
We do have some fans that take pride in being arrogant. I still don't get that.
We have fans who like to play the villain because they equate the hate from other fanbase as an indicator of our previous success. So they simply lean into the trope.

Twitter is fun if you don’t take it seriously. The UConn fans who are caricatures of our stereotype don’t. And their main targets are those who do. Most fan bases are in on the Joke. X fans tend to get it. Other fan bases who I won’t name are jumpy and turn into easy marks.

Reaction Score

Was this from the full presser? (I haven't listened to it yet) Contrast what you put in your post to this interview with SNY:

He says something very similar but indicated how it helped the team grow. He also has a hilarious answer to whether he'd take his shirt off after a win on Thursday:

Reaction Score

In fairness to DH I thought he was saying it was a "burden" in the first round or 2 of NCAA Tourney playing for UConn due to the high expecatations, but not a burden overall playing for UConn or in later rounds of Tourney....at least that was my take.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Why does DH insist on being a whining on his was to the S16,and creating negative recruiting sentiment to boot. He really needs to toughen up on this stuff. And yes, I know he is talking about playing but pick a freaking spot for the commentary.

Reaction Score
Does he and the staff read this board? I'm guessing stuff is passed along...
Tommy Moore without a doubt is lurking on here somewhere. It’s also very easy to create a fake account and read on here as a lurker.

This is why I’m so glad we police the BY for assumptions and extreme negative player feedback.

However, the post game threads are vile for any person on the team to read.

I really think they should be locked 24-48 hours post game.

Reaction Score
Considering that Connecticut doesn’t have a pro sports team, then yes there’s much more of a burden to be playing & coaching at UConn. Comes with the territory. Connecticut is passionate about UConn basketball. But no need to belittle players outside of constructive feedback

Reaction Score
Was this from the full presser? (I haven't listened to it yet) Contrast what you put in your post to this interview with SNY:

He says something very similar but indicated how it helped the team grow. He also has a hilarious answer to whether he'd take his shirt off after a win on Thursday:

Ha, I love this interview. "The fanbase being absolutely out of their mind."

I can vouch for losing the head hair and getting hairier everywhere else. I can also vouch for being out of my mind.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is there much of that on UConn twitter though? All I see from UConn Twitter is Mister fat balls and the other dorks and they worship at Hurley's feet and post about how they want to hang out with all the players. They're a bit embarrassing but all they do is promote how awesome UConn basketball is.

I don't doubt there are a few lunatics who creep onto the players social media after a bad game to flame them but every fanbase in the country has a few mouthbreathers.

If he's talking about the boneyard, it doesn't get personal here.

His presser was funny yesterday, he let an f bomb slip at the end.

I have no idea about this season. I stopped really looking after folks were merciless to RJ after he missed those FTs versus Creighton.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That's great ammunition for opposing coaches to recruit against. Saying our fan base makes it worse than others

I wish he would think about the things he says
Geno has been complaining about pressure from fans and the burden of expectations for decades. The right kind of players embrace it and take it as a challenge to prove the doubters wrong

Reaction Score

Do u really think UK fans are easier on the team than Ct fans after a loss?

Reaction Score
This is not the full quote and taken out of context. He said "It is more of a burden to play at UConn in the first two rounds of the tournament than it is an advantage." Meaning UConn fans expect to win the first two rounds and move onto the Sweet sixteen as a given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom