Cane Broome transferring from Sacred Heart | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cane Broome transferring from Sacred Heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Here is a clip which is very favorable on him. IMO we need all the help we can get on the boards next year. The fact that he appears to have the whole package doesn't hurt if he decides to transfer.

http://www.testudotimes.com/marylan...urnament-game-time-tv-preview-stefan-jankovic
With them banned next year, it would really surprise me if he stayed there. No shame in transferring to get another shot at the NCAAs.

That said, I don't think we have any contacts with the kid, so it's probably unlikely he comes here.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think relying so heavily on transfers is a good move long-term.

We saw how hard it was to integrate a new piece when that piece was used to a different system, different teammates, etc.

We have two transfers on the team next year - that's enough.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

We saw how hard it was to integrate a new piece when that piece was used to a different system, different teammates, etc.
Completely agree. A role player, maybe on a rare occasion a second role player if necessary could help but it would be difficult to find two starters capable of fitting in and making significant, consistent contributions unless each came from a near identical system. What we did with Miller & Gibbs was reaction to an extreme situation. Hopefully we won't be in the position again where a couple of starters would be needed from graduate transfer ranks.

Who besides Larrier?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

I definitely agree as far as long term. We have some big time young talent coming in next year. Still, we could still use a talented
big for one year if one came along until the younger players develop.

Reaction Score
Jankovic plays no defense. I'll pass on him. If we add Broome fine. Hard to tell exactly how good he is.

Reaction Score

Purvis almost doesn't count as a transfer any more - will be his fourth year at UConn.

With four freshmen already on board, we're in good shape in terms of balancing our younger classes (although Durham may redshirt). Next year, we lose Brimah, Facey, Cassell, and Purvis at the very least (I kind of hope we lose Hamilton next year, because that means he will be a better player, have taken a leap forward and be ready for the NBA) - so pocketing the scholarship is unnecessary for 17s. We'll have lots of room.

I think we could maybe look at a JuCo, since Hamilton is only scholarship sophomore this year, and if he leaves, Senior Day in 2017 will be a day to honor Christian Foxen and the cheerleaders. But if the best player available is a grad transfer, we can look that route.

Reaction Score
Jankovic plays no defense. I'll pass on him. If we add Broome fine. Hard to tell exactly how good he is.

Jankovic and Brimah are polar opposites so that might not be bad. What the big Rainbow guy brings offensively with handle, passing and shooting the ball is fine with me, take him in a second. He's not great on D but ok, won't block shots like AB but the rest is all good.

Reaction Score
Jankovic and Brimah are polar opposites so that might not be bad. What the big Rainbow guy brings offensively with handle, passing and shooting the ball is fine with me, take him in a second. He's not great on D but ok, won't block shots like AB but the rest is all good.

There are probably going to buzzards hovering recruiting the Hawaii roster - their junior guard (who was terrible yesterday but averages 15 ppg and can hit threes) can do an Oriakhi and be eligible right away. There may be a lot of competition for those guys, and they may not enjoy the thought of New England winters after a few years in Honolulu.

Assuming no surprises, we have 12 scholarship players (Durham is a strong possibility to redshirt, so only 11 of those might be playing), and we could use either a physical post scorer or a two-guard who can shoot (I'm not counting on Cassell, but maybe he'll prove to be viable). There's the grad transfer market, the JuCo market, the late bloomer market, and the freshmen de-committing as the coaching carousel moves market. JuCo makes the most sense in terms of balancing classes, but that talent pool could be limited and the player who best fits our needs could come from one of the other markets. And if we don't find and land anyone we like, that may be good news for a walkon. We're not desperate to fill that spot, but it would be nice to have another arrow in the quiver, in case of injuries and/or guys not producing.

Reaction Score
There are probably going to buzzards hovering recruiting the Hawaii roster - their junior guard (who was terrible yesterday but averages 15 ppg and can hit threes) can do an Oriakhi and be eligible right away. There may be a lot of competition for those guys, and they may not enjoy the thought of New England winters after a few years in Honolulu.

Assuming no surprises, we have 12 scholarship players (Durham is a strong possibility to redshirt, so only 11 of those might be playing), and we could use either a physical post scorer or a two-guard who can shoot (I'm not counting on Cassell, but maybe he'll prove to be viable). There's the grad transfer market, the JuCo market, the late bloomer market, and the freshmen de-committing as the coaching carousel moves market. JuCo makes the most sense in terms of balancing classes, but that talent pool could be limited and the player who best fits our needs could come from one of the other markets. And if we don't find and land anyone we like, that may be good news for a walkon. We're not desperate to fill that spot, but it would be nice to have another arrow in the quiver, in case of injuries and/or guys not producing.

Yeah reality is as we have all discussed, and now Jacobs article, we need to be bigger and stronger and Janky is not the answer there either. We know Brimah and Facey will still be pushed around that won't change, so our hope is with Enoch's improvement and hopefully a young Diarra to be able to carry some brawn in a few minutes a game. Like your idea on the JUCO level for that type of physical guy who just can move people and rebound a little, of course if HE is out there.

Reaction Score
Broome shot 212 3's at 31%. No thank you. His steals and fouls drawn is high, and FT% is decent so maybe his shooting improves.

Reaction Score
I watch a lot of juco as we have a strong program in Florida in my town and there isn't much that can play at UConn. a few years ago I came on here and said nice things about Sam as he was coming here and being cordial but if u read between the lines I indicated not a starter at all and if u remember there was a lot of hype and I think in preseason last year he was expected to score quite a bit. Juco there are a zillion 6'5 athletes but very few points, true bigs or pure shooters with athleticism needed to play here. They exist, but the scouts at the state tourney are more like Illinois state, manhattans etc.

Reaction Score
I watch a lot of juco as we have a strong program in Florida in my town and there isn't much that can play at UConn. a few years ago I came on here and said nice things about Sam as he was coming here and being cordial but if u read between the lines I indicated not a starter at all and if u remember there was a lot of hype and I think in preseason last year he was expected to score quite a bit. Juco there are a zillion 6'5 athletes but very few points, true bigs or pure shooters with athleticism needed to play here. They exist, but the scouts at the state tourney are more like Illinois state, manhattans etc.
I wonder what happened to the JUCO ranks. It wasn't that long ago that Steve Francis was coming out of it. Even someone like Selvie gave us a consistent double doubles (points and PLBSOB*) immediately.

----------------------------
*PLBSOB = possessions lost by stepping out of bounds

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Johnnie Selvie, the GOAT partier of UConn basketball. Mandledove is runner up.

Reaction Score
I wonder what happened to the JUCO ranks. It wasn't that long ago that Steve Francis was coming out of it. Even someone like Selvie gave us a consistent double doubles (points and PLBSOB*) immediately.

----------------------------
*PLBSOB = possessions lost by stepping out of bounds

Must be hard NOT to get in school now huh? LOL

Reaction Score
Stefan Jankovic

Aside from the fact that his team is banned from the postseason next year, he may be a grad transfer.
IF (big if) we get a transfer I'd prefer a big... but not this guy...

I kinda like the fact that we have Brimah, Enoch, Facey up front coming back, along with Mamadou Diarra, who plays well around the basket and already has decent size coming in as true frosh. Bringing in a grad big that can come in and support what we have ( not start.. hopefully not.. our current kids should be doing that ) would help out more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom