Cancel the Olympics? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cancel the Olympics?

Reaction Score
Only 8% of the population in Japan got vaccinated. It's such an unbelievable low figure. No big event should be held in Japan.
Vaccination is not protection for others. It is for the protection of the individual who is vaccinated. If Japan was at 0.00000000000% vaccinated, it would not affect the protection of those who have the antibodies (do to having contract CoViD-19 in the past 6 months, nor those who have been vaccinated with an effective vaccine, nor those with a robust immune system with NO co-morbigities.

By the way, FEAR is a huge immuno-surpressant. If you are afraid, don't go! If you have a tendency to talk yourself into fear over time, don't go.

Fear NOT!!! Go Huskies!!! Stay strong (particularly your immune systems)!!!!!

Reaction Score
If a tree falls in the woods, and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound.
Unless the tree falls in a vacuum, the sound is transmitted through the air. Even if the tree falls in a vacuum, the sound is still transmitted through the ground - simple physics. Vibrations that are tarnsmitted = sound.

Reaction Score
Has this ever happened before, where they start the competition 2-3 days before the opening ceremonies?

The time difference has been a known factor all along. I don't see why advertisers would suddenly be "dropping out" because of the broadcast schedule. Lots of action will be shown on tape delay in US afternoon and prime time hours.
Most team sports with multiple games begin before the opening ceremonies. Have done for years.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, for all you guys advocating to cancel the Olympics, Japan just hammered Australia, 8-1. Next up in just about an hour, US vs Italy. I’ll bet Geno’s watching.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well I seem to be going against the spirit of the room here (or at least of those speaking up), but I want the Olympics to go forward.

Much has been made of the recent rise in Japan's infection rate, but comparatively speaking, Japan's infection rate is still dwarfed by that of the United States and other countries where athletic competitions have been ongoing.

According to Coronavirus (COVID-19) Cases - Statistics and Research , Japan's infection rate stands at 24.61 daily new confirmed cases per million people, compared to 104.92 in the US, 122.92 in France, and 677.55 in the UK.

If we haven't been spending the past 8-9 months clamoring for the NCAA, NBA, NHL et al. to suspend all competition here — where the infection rate is currently four times higher than in Japan — it seems inconsistent to call for cancelling the Olympics.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Without saying one way or the other, I had expected to hear a long list (exponential growth) of athletes in the COVID protocols but I have not? Am I missing something?
Well it seems that over 80% of the athletes in the Olympic village have already been vaccinated. 99% of the infections reported are among those who have not been vaccinated. So that leaves about 2200 athletes that are at risk. Those are the people that have thrown the dice, and those are the people who should be worried. Now, the number of severe breakthrough infections among vaccinated populations is about 0.003%, so among the vaccinated in the village that number is vanishingly low. So whether we see among the unvaccinated a nasty outbreak only time will tell.

This of course is not a response to you. As for whether we should cancel these games I'm quite ambivalent. Yes these athletes are at risk. Yes, this new variant seems to love those in the 20-40 years old range very much. Yes, many of those who live where the games are to be held are not in favor of the games continuing. But these athletes have toiled, most in silence, for all there lives for this moment. Have sacrificed income, family, friends, and personal lives for their sport. To take this away from them when it is just within their grasp, once again, would be cruel and perhaps, unjust. I'm leaning toward having the games continue.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I believe it frequently happens for team sports such as baseball, basketball, soccer and hockey. But I don’t remember it being quite this early. In the case of softball, they are playing all the games on one field, which happens to be the same field they will play the baseball tournament on, once the softball tournament raps up next week.
Actually, they will move to a baseball stadium nearer Tokyo after opening ceremonies, apparently. Still will be the baseball venue as well.

My wife and I don't quite get it - if softball is so popular in Japan (as it is) - then why could they not use a softball stadium. I get the idea that the baseball and softball group presented a combined bid - but as you note they don't overlap, so - back to my point - we don't quite get it.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Without saying one way or the other, I had expected to hear a long list (exponential growth) of athletes in the COVID protocols but I have not? Am I missing something?
I think the list will grow once all of the athletes arrive in the Olympic Village. Many are still not there. Last I read, there have been 60 reported cases in the village. That includes staff, athletes, and anyone else in there. Not sure how many athletes are actually there right now but a total of 11,000 athletes will, at some time, be in the Olympic Village. The list will unfortunately grow.

The ones I really feel for are the ones who are vaccinated yet still get a positive result. The new variant is having a higher success rate of breaking through the vaccine. However, the vaccine is protecting those who have it from serious Illness. That doesn't mean they aren't eliminated from the Games though....

Reaction Score
Vaccination is not protection for others. It is for the protection of the individual who is vaccinated. If Japan was at 0.00000000000% vaccinated, it would not affect the protection of those who have the antibodies (do to having contract CoViD-19 in the past 6 months, nor those who have been vaccinated with an effective vaccine, nor those with a robust immune system with NO co-morbigities.

By the way, FEAR is a huge immuno-surpressant. If you are afraid, don't go! If you have a tendency to talk yourself into fear over time, don't go.

Fear NOT!!! Go Huskies!!! Stay strong (particularly your immune systems)!!!!!
While this is true, it is astounding to me that Japan’s vaccination number is 8%!

Reaction Score
My cancellation argument can be summed in six words:
Katie Lou Samuelson and Asia Durr
Did Katie Lou test positive before heading to Japan? If so, what does this have to do with the Olympics?

Reaction Score

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Did Katie Lou test positive before heading to Japan? If so, what does this have to do with the Olympics?
Covid is getting worse every day and the number of people dying is on the rise. It is already starting to look like the Olympics will be a super spreader event. Athletes may be fine taking the risk for themselves, but they can give it to others who can give it to others. It is heartbreaking what Asia Durr is going through, and we don't even know what KLS is dealing with. I don't want anyone to get sick much less a beloved Husky. I don't think I will be able to watch.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I think the list will grow once all of the athletes arrive in the Olympic Village. Many are still not there. Last I read, there have been 60 reported cases in the village. That includes staff, athletes, and anyone else in there. Not sure how many athletes are actually there right now but a total of 11,000 athletes will, at some time, be in the Olympic Village. The list will unfortunately grow.

The ones I really feel for are the ones who are vaccinated yet still get a positive result. The new variant is having a higher success rate of breaking through the vaccine. However, the vaccine is protecting those who have it from serious Illness. That doesn't mean they aren't eliminated from the Games though....
60 cases already? That is ridiculous! All athletes should have been vaccinated period. When everybody arrives the real super spreader will soon be upon us. I don't think the cardboard beds that are in the village will discourage the "international friendship" that has been occurring for decades between participants. The host nations always provide protection materials to the athletes, but this is a whole different ballgame. I hope these athletes are smart enough to think about that, but then again, these are mostly kids and they don't always make the right decision. I pray that they do.

Reaction Score
"People just want their lives back, and not the Olympics,"
says Shiho Fukuda, a Tokyo-based photographer and film director. "Most people have had to sacrifice because of these Olympics, and this has been going on for a long time. Of course the athletes say, 'We should do it,' but the people in general are concerned."

Reaction Score
Unless the tree falls in a vacuum, the sound is transmitted through the air. Even if the tree falls in a vacuum, the sound is still transmitted through the ground - simple physics. Vibrations that are tarnsmitted = sound.

Sound is the impression that the bones in your ear places upon your brain based upon the vibrations they receive. If there are no ears to receive the vibrations created from a fallen object ( in or out of a vacuum) there will be no “sound”.

Reaction Score
So the American beach volleyball player who tested positive after arriving in Tokyo was sent home to Hawaii. Question: how did they send him home without some sort of quarantine?

Reaction Score
The only sensible thing to do is to postpone until 2022, then change the cycle to 2026, 2030,etc. so what if it is same year as Winter Games.

Reaction Score
Sound is the impression that the bones in your ear places upon your brain based upon the vibrations they receive. If there are no ears to receive the vibrations created from a fallen object ( in or out of a vacuum) there will be no “sound”.
Sound can be detected by instrumentation that detects vibration. Human ears need not be present for sound to be generated. It's a physics thing.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
In my first day in a philosophy class at UConn, the professor asked the infamous "if a tree falls in the woods..." question. I looked up at him and said yes. He said but can you prove it? I said sure and at his invitation did a math style proof on the board with the givens that objects can't occupy the same place and that air occupies space, as does the tree, and that sound was the movement of air. The professor stared at it for a good what seemed liked a good a five minutes and then when someone in the class said "Uh professor?" He said "Class dismissed" and kept staring at the board. People looked at me like "WTH dude" and I was like "He shouldn't have asked if he didn't want the answer."

(I may have broken him since the next class we had a different professor who taught the class for rest of the semester. Good times.)

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In my first day in a philosophy class at UConn, the professor asked the infamous "if a tree falls in the woods..." question. I looked up at him and said yes. He said but can you prove it? I said sure and at his invitation did a math style proof on the board with the givens that objects can't occupy the same place and that air occupies space, as does the tree, and that sound was the movement of air. The professor stared at it for a good what seemed liked a good a five minutes and then when someone in the class said "Uh professor?" He said "Class dismissed" and kept staring at the board. People looked at me like "WTH dude" and I was like "He shouldn't have asked if he didn't want the answer."

(I may have broken him since the next class we had a different professor who taught the class for rest of the semester. Good times.)
You gave a philosophy professor a math/physics style explanation. :eek:
Very courageous

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
forests? sounds? this question was answered years ago. dopey philosophers, they never know what's going down, and they can't dunk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom