Cancel the Olympics? | The Boneyard

Cancel the Olympics?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Without saying one way or the other, I had expected to hear a long list (exponential growth) of athletes in the COVID protocols but I have not? Am I missing something?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Olympic competition will officially start in about 2 hrs with softball to lead things off, followed by women’s soccer early tomorrow morning. I believe the Covid positive case number is currently around 60 athletes, coaches & administrators out of over 11,000 participants. What will happen if there is a dramatic increase in positive cases is anyone’s guess.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
There is no way they cancel them. Too much programming and advertising dollars at stake. Plus Japan has geared up for this thing. No Olympics means those sunk costs cannot be recovered.

Reaction Score
Only 8% of the population in Japan got vaccinated. It's such an unbelievable low figure. No big event should be held in Japan.

Reaction Score
Do not cancel but postpone them. The facilities will still be there and maybe they can get their COVID situation under control in 90 days or so

Reaction Score
They are going to take a financial beating. Like the old saying goes , if a tree falls in the woods but no one see's or hears it, did it really fall (or something like that) .

Reaction Score
If a tree falls in the woods, and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound.

Reaction Score
We've been batting this issue around for weeks. WaPo and others have been writing about "avarice vs. athletes" on both the sports pages and in editorials. As recently as today, the question of cancelling the Games as late as just before the opening ceremonies was raised. But no one believes it. Hey, baby, avarice wins . . . What else is new?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
These are adults who know the risks (except for those mystical potential long term affects that not even god knows) and have decided living out their dreams is worth it. As far as I know, other than Cambage, no one has opted out

Also, Keep in mind that assuming they are vaccinated, they are far safer (to themselves and others) than during the prior pandemic waves and with medical attention and screening, are probably safer than if they were at home.

It the Japanese population is not vaccinating, they can just stay away from the Olympic Events (and each other :oops:)

I also am assuming that those who say they disagree with having the Olympics will boycott watching any events and results :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
So there is serious discussion on cancelling the Olympics (per espn). What does the Boneyard think? Even Toyota is out!
damm skippy they should be cancelled this is not about the athletes and all the hard work and sacrifices they've made if was they would not have different rules for the athletes due to their culture gender race hair texture or all the other ism's they rule against. This is nothing more than greed and capitalism it's all about the money off of the athletes who will not share in the profits but will be the pawns out front to be used for profits in the name of sports contributing to building a peaceful and better world through mutual friendship and solidarity and fair play that's all Stop sounds good tho ...cherishing human lives is more important than money

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
TV sponsors will be dropping out because no one will be watching(live). I think I read that the first 3 USA Women's Basketball games begin at 12:40 AM...AM...AM

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Sitting here watching Olympic softball. Australia has the bases loaded with 1 out in the top of the 1st. Whether we like it or not, the Games have begun.
Has this ever happened before, where they start the competition 2-3 days before the opening ceremonies?
TV sponsors will be dropping out because no one will be watching(live). I think I read that the first 3 USA Women's Basketball games begin at 12:40 AM...AM...AM
The time difference has been a known factor all along. I don't see why advertisers would suddenly be "dropping out" because of the broadcast schedule. Lots of action will be shown on tape delay in US afternoon and prime time hours.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
So there is serious discussion on cancelling the Olympics (per espn). What does the Boneyard think? Even Toyota is out!
I'm a yes; there are too many negatives at this point.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Has this ever happened before, where they start the competition 2-3 days before the opening ceremonies?
I believe it frequently happens for team sports such as baseball, basketball, soccer and hockey. But I don’t remember it being quite this early. In the case of softball, they are playing all the games on one field, which happens to be the same field they will play the baseball tournament on, once the softball tournament raps up next week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom