Canadian training camp includes Aaliyah | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Canadian training camp includes Aaliyah

Reaction Score
That's a shame. Doesn't make me too optimistic for the season. Maybe 2025 will be our year.

How long do you think Aaliyah will be away/unavailable? You're jumping ahead of yourself based on how I'm interpreting your comments.

Per the announcement, she's with Canada Basketball until June 2. FIBA Americas is between July 1 - 9. At worst, she rejoins the team mid July.

Reaction Score
How long do you think Aaliyah will be away/unavailable? You're jumping ahead of yourself based on how I'm interpreting your comments.

Per the announcement, she's with Canada Basketball until June 2. FIBA Americas is between July 1 - 9. At worst, she rejoins the team mid July.
Her tweet says she will be there for "the next few weeks." Summer session starts next week and ends at the end of June. You kind of have to be there every day because it's only five weeks long. The team will get back together in the second half of August for their European trip.

Reaction Score
Her tweet says she will be there for "the next few weeks." Summer session starts next week and ends at the end of June. You kind of have to be there every day because it's only five weeks long. The team will get back together in the second half of August for their European trip.

And she wasn't there everyday last year during the summer and it worked out okay. Instead of focusing on all the negatives, wait to see how things play out.

Who knows? Maybe she'll be back on campus after the June 2 exhibition game. No one really knows what's planned with her schedule. A few weeks could be a two week to her.

Reaction Score

The team isn't together in mid-July. She's likely going to miss the whole summer session and this team in particular needs time to play together. Its a shame, she was going to be a big piece for us but not as hopeful now and that really lowers our ceiling I think.

Reaction Score
And she wasn't there everyday last year during the summer and it worked out okay. Instead of focusing on all the negatives, wait to see how things play out.

Who knows? Maybe she'll be back on campus after the June 2 exhibition game. No one really knows what's planned with her schedule. A few weeks could be a two week to her.
She was there for the summer session last year though.

Reaction Score
The team isn't together in mid-July. She's likely going to miss the whole summer session and this team in particular needs time to play together. Its a shame, she was going to be a big piece for us but not as hopeful now and that really lowers our ceiling I think.

SMH :confused:

Reaction Score
She was there for the summer session last year though.

Hence why I posed the question about her being back after the exhibition game which is June 2. We don't know her schedule so far all we know, she may be on hand for a portion of it.

All this wringing of hands doesn't make sense to me, especially when we don't know all that's going on. You see other top tier teams with key players lined up for AmeriCup and 3x3 World Cup. UConn isn't the only team in this situation.

Reaction Score
But our fan base is special, don't you know. ;)

So, the fanbase groused this much when others had commitments? Was this same energy there when Stewart, Jefferson and Nurse represented their countries while at UConn?

I want to laugh but I find it hard to. If fans don't trust Aaliyah to know how to manage things and maintain her commitments, then have they really been paying attention to how she conducts herself?

Reaction Score
I’m all for the kids having some time off. Geno has said on many occasions that he thinks excessive specialization is one factor in injuries in college. He was thinking of high school, but I expect it applies to college too. They should play softball or ping pong or maybe tennis for a few weeks. Not basketball 24-7. The problems Aaliyah had in the middle of her sophomore year weren’t simply about not practicing enough over the summer. She said it was about nutrition and she addressed it during the season.

Reaction Score
So, the fanbase groused this much when others had commitments? Was this same energy there when Stewart, Jefferson and Nurse represented their countries while at UConn?

I want to laugh but I find it hard to. If fans don't trust Aaliyah to know how to manage things and maintain her commitments, then have they really been paying attention to how she conducts herself?

The fans blame her playing with the Canadian team after her freshman year as the reason she had a sophomore slump

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Doom, gloom and wringing of hands changes nothing. If AE is not mature enough to handle her chosen path this summer than next season could be a wash? I say hogwash. We all know she has as much talent as any other big in WCBB this coming season. What we will see is if her hustle and pace of play matches her ability. It's up to her and coach to get a championship effort from her. I for one think we will get the best version of AE, this coming season. I applaud her wanting to represent her country, really a dream come true for most determined athletes. You go girl!:cool:

Reaction Score
The fans blame her playing with the Canadian team after her freshman year as the reason she had a sophomore slump

And as I and others pointed out, her time with Canada Basketball for GloblJam last summer wasn't a hindrance. Her time with them before she stepped on campus helped to better prepare her as a freshman where others who were also part of that class struggled adjusting.

She learned from the Olympics and see what happened last season? Does she
not at least deserve the benefit of the doubt considering the business approach she takes to getting better?

Reaction Score
And as I and others pointed out, her time with Canada Basketball for GloblJam last summer wasn't a hindrance. Her time with them before she stepped on campus helped to better prepare her as a freshman where others who were also part of that class struggled adjusting.

She learned from the Olympics and see what happened last season? Does she
not at least deserve the benefit of the doubt considering the business approach she takes to getting better?

She deserves and should do what she wants. I was never one that questioned her or how she played.

Reaction Score
She deserves and should do what she wants. I was never one that questioned her or how she played.

Then why the "explanation" reply? As a long time Aaliyah fan, I'm fully aware of what happened in 2021 and I've posted several replies to similar comments.

Reaction Score
Hence why I posed the question about her being back after the exhibition game which is June 2. We don't know her schedule so far all we know, she may be on hand for a portion of it.

All this wringing of hands doesn't make sense to me, especially when we don't know all that's going on. You see other top tier teams with key players lined up for AmeriCup and 3x3 World Cup. UConn isn't the only team in this situation.
Yes but Uconn has had to deal with unprecedented injury issues the last couple of years so having a healthy team together together from summer session on was vital, imo, to having a strong season. I doubt very much she'll come midway through summer session, and then fly out to the games at the end. Maybe she'll be planning on coming to the European tour? Who knows at this point. Its a shame, I had high hopes going into this season but now not so sure about our outlook.

Reaction Score
Yes but Uconn has had to deal with unprecedented injury issues the last couple of years so having a healthy team together together from summer session on was vital, imo, to having a strong season. I doubt very much she'll come midway through summer session, and then fly out to the games at the end. Maybe she'll be planning on coming to the European tour? Who knows at this point. Its a shame, I had high hopes going into this season but now not so sure about our outlook.
I think you may be getting carried away here.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The team isn't together in mid-July. She's likely going to miss the whole summer session and this team in particular needs time to play together. It’s a shame, she was going to be a big piece for us but not as hopeful now and that really lowers our ceiling I think.
She’ll most likely be with the team in Europe.

Reaction Score

I believe that the NCAA allows team on summer trips to practice before they leave. How many I don't know. Those extra practices are especially beneficial for the freshmen.

Reaction Score
She is a much more mature player now. I admire her for wanting to represent her country and though I worry about injury, she would likely be playing pick up ball anyway, which begs the question, is pick up ball more dangerous than organized ball? I am looking for her to have a monster year for us! I would not be surprised if she is the premier big in the country next season. It looks like she is working on adding the final piece (the three ball) to her game. Imagine if she maintains or improves her 15-17 footer, adds the three at 34-37%, and gets stronger! She is going to be a major problem next year and especially if Paige & Azzi return to their best form, she will need to be doubled. I imagine Paige & Azzi are licking their lips!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom