• Yes

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 165 69.0%
  • No, but I could back in the day.

Votes: 59 24.7%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
My best dunks always seemed to happen when I was practicing alone.

My best moves are now on the foosball table.

Reaction Score
Was 5’6 going into Soph. year of High School then shot up to 6’3/6’4. Coach made me play center even though I was pretty thin and was a very good passer. Could dunk in HS and into college but got a back injury from soccer that I haven’t quite recovered from now that i’m 2 years out of school. Also haven’t been working out too much the last 6 months or so. If I get into routine I probably can still JUST dunk, but as of now I doubt I can. Was playing ball a lot in the city up until Covid got bad, now obviously haven’t played competitively in almost a year. Can’t wait to get back into it though.

Reaction Score
Being 6'4" and having a wingspan of 7ft, yes I could dunk when I was younger, but it is very true that White Men Can't Jump.

When I used to play at Washington Park in Waterbury, I was so good because those rims were like 9'8" maybe and I could jam on anyone. Those were the good old days.
White guys don't have that excuse anymore...

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
When I was 16 (and 5’10” 160) I would routinely dunk a volleyball after running 70 minutes at 6:30 mile pace during cross country practice. Hands too small to palm a bball and too short to do it with two hands.

I also broke my ankle at 17 (the day before my drivers test) spiking a volleyball in gym class and coming down on the person on the other side’s foot. Hops were never really the same after that. Possibly psychologically.

16 years and 60 lbs later all those things seem absolutely impossible.

Reaction Score
I could at 15 years ago I can still touch the rim if I wanted to work on legs and explosion I could probably do it

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Like many here, at 5'10", no. Not close. I recall being able to just touch the rim and dunk a golf ball in younger, lighter, healthier days. But I may be imagining that. The mind goes along with the body after all. The nurse at my checkups tells me I'm not even 5'10" anymore. Lies! Blasphemy! I shall forever claim my peak height.

I was a legendary nerf hoop dunker though. Had a great one with UConn Huskies backboard.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
As a college freshman I had a "legit" alley oop dunk messing around with buddies. No way I could dunk taking the ball up with me. 6'0" 155 at the time. I have movements that weigh as much now.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I've thrown it down in the past, in my prime, but even then it was barely and it was definitely not consistently. I would never risk trying to dunk even a total breakaway. I'm a 6'1 2G who played HS and college, but "ups" were not my forte.

Right this second, I can barely dunk on my 2 year old's 3 foot rim. And that's not even an exaggeration.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Being 6-3, I was supposed to be able to dunk, right? Unfortunately, my body type is long in the torso, short in the extremities. And my hands are small. I could dunk in practice, but any contact at all and I lost control. I dunked twice in actual (pickup) games. About seven years later, I dunked in an adult rec league game. That was on a putback, one handed, with my 'wrong' hand. I'm left handed. Junior year in HS I damaged my right shoulder. After a few weeks, it didn't hurt any more, and if I lifted my right arm higher than shoulder height, it came out of the socket. (Chronic, recurrent sublocation). End result was a 4 plus inch increase in vertical reach with my off hand. Trade off was sometimes I needed to use my left hand to knock the head of the humerus bone back into the socket. Learned to use the extended reach to my advantage though, and blocked a lot of shots with my right hand, as well as jumping center right handed. But could not come close to controlling the ball with my right hand, so my new, improved reach with the off hand went pretty much for naught as far as dunking is concerned.
The right handed put back dunk in a rec league game was the last time I ever dunked. The next year was the infamous peritonitis/gangrene episode of my life. Tried to play rec league the year after that, but didn't have any bounce, Tried a few times in driveway games, but got older and heavier.
Now, in my old age, I'm paying the price for that shoulder that I damaged nearly 60 years ago.

FWIW, Ricky had the same shoulder issue. But he got his fixed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Like many here, at 5'10", no. Not close. I recall being able to just touch the rim and dunk a golf ball in younger, lighter, healthier days. But I may be imagining that. The mind goes along with the body after all. The nurse at my checkups tells me I'm not even 5'10" anymore. Lies! Blasphemy! I shall forever claim my peak height.

I was a legendary nerf hoop dunker though. Had a great one with UConn Huskies backboard.
Same story... nurse at my physical 2 years ago said “5’11.5, so you’re 5’11 now”. I still go with 6’0” when asked, but feel shorter every year. My 15yo grandson passed me last year (at 14), and the 12yo twins are right behind him. Already taller than their 5’10” mom.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Absolutely
dunk tank GIF by truTV’s The Chris Gethard Show

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I know people said back in the day was a no if not 6'3" but I am 6' foot and could dunk from 16 till I was about 26 or so. Then I had knee surgery and that was it. Softball took any hops I did have

Reaction Score
I'm 5'10 (was listed as 6'0). I have a few legitimate dunks out of thousand of attempts but never in a game. But rim-grab layups were my thing as well as slapping the backboard as hard as possible on layups, block attempts, after shots, in warmups, etc.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just did a test jump. Is your sneaker supposed to leave the ground?
This. Maybe 20 years ago I was shooting a outdoor court with a friend and two HS kids challenged us to a game. All good at first after a while though we started running out of gas. At one point the kid on me started to guard me tight so I stopped, looked at him to freeze him and went to elevate and shoot over him and it was like someone has turned up the gravity. Things haven't gotten better since then.

Reaction Score
With a step ladder I could.

I did dunk a tennis ball in college. But that was a long time ago and 35 pounds lighter.

Reaction Score
'On a good day,'
see? this is called 'a legit answer.' i really dislike those days when it's the rim blocking my attempts. can hurt the shoulder, big time. signed, 'not 6'6'' tall guy, with sore shoulders, messed up wrists, and constant foreboding for getting my legs cut out from under me.' big fun when it works, and well worth the effort. mostly. except those times when you do get clipped, and end up on the ground, on ur tailbone. hardwood is soooo much softer than asphalt.
Many years ago, I actually threw down a monstrous dunk in front of a big crowd, in a big game.

My wife was there and immediately shook me awake, telling me I was flailing my arms in bed.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Of course, I can dunk, but I’m not going to just because you guys want me to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom