Can we talk BBQ grills? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Can we talk BBQ grills?

Reaction Score
Friend brought a vertical pellet smoker and his meats look perfect.

Time to step up my game! Looking at pellet grills or nice smoker. Would like one that controls temps and does long hour smoking of meats. Been eyeing the pit boss models but I have to believe there are many competitors out there.

Be nice for a quick hit meal as well. Only 2 of us but I'm ready to move on from the elementary charcoal Weber.

Easy assembly or pre assembled would be nice as well.

What are you guys cooking on?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
It has never been clear to me why I need a faster thermometer. Maybe if I were a caterer testing 200 filets for a wedding? I can't think of a reason for a home cook.
It's so you can boost your ego by bragging on the internet to strangers.

Reaction Score
Yeah you can. Think about it. Here let me give you an example . My brother has been enamored with the smoked stuff I do when he comes over for last 20 years. He was over a few weeks ago and had brisket on my traeger. Traeger isn’t my favorite but it’s pretty damn good for a pellet low maintenance deal, I had to adjust some setting on mine, more on that later. I also own an egg and 2 WSM’s. Anyway my brother bought a fairly nice pit boss pellet smoker, and for his first cook tried to cook a 100 dollar packer brisket on it, because that’s what he had at my house and wanted to do himself .His pellet smoker has its own probes and its own temp control. He asked me to come over and help him with next cook. I brought my X2. Because the only way you screw up is wrong temps. N otice the pit boss temp setting vs. the pit boss digital read, vs my thermoworks X2 surface probe ( top reading) , and by the way? Traeger owners take notice too. It’s not as pronounced as pit boss but it’s too wide a variance without tweaking. His smoker is set to 200 degrees right there!
Okay but unless I misunderstood something none of that has to do with speed of the thermometer.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Yeah it is and I almost sprung for it but didn't. I do most of my searing in cast iron on the stovetop currently (and some grilling on a weber also). Glad to hear it's done well for you, you're going to tempt me.
Well if you ever find yourself in SW Colorado, I have a brand new, never opened one (long story) that you can have gratis. I want it out of my garage, and haven't had any luck on Craigslist.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Okay but unless I misunderstood something none of that has to do with speed of the thermometer.
I said speed AND accuracy.

latency breeds inaccuracy

Thermoworks accuracy is just a different level from most. Professional use. Industrial applications. All calibrated and certified to particular standards. About Us | ThermoWorks I've bought a couple of things from them recently.

Reaction Score
I said speed AND accuracy.

latency breeds inaccuracy
Accuracy, sure. But I asked about speed. Latency affecting accuracy? Of a BBQ thermometer? It's literally slow cooking. A half second isn't going to make any difference.
Thermoworks accuracy is just a different level from most. Professional use. Industrial applications. All calibrated and certified to particular standards. About Us | ThermoWorks I've bought a couple of things from them recently.
I 100% believe they are faster. I just don't understand why a home chef would care. I use a thermopop instead of a thermopen because I've never needed that 0.5-1 second.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Accuracy, sure. But I asked about speed. Latency affecting accuracy? Of a BBQ thermometer? It's literally slow cooking. A half second isn't going to make any difference.

I 100% believe they are faster. I just don't understand why a home chef would care. I use a thermopop instead of a thermopen because I've never needed that 0.5-1 second.
I guess all I can tell you is stick two probes next to each other and see. Remember I’m talking surface probe instead of meat probe.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The thermopen is more accurate than the thermopop. It's not just speed. I agree, the speed don't matter much. I bought the new one they have that is in between.

Reaction Score
Green Mountain Grills and Green Egg
Agreed. Haven't gotten one myself, but 3 or 4 guys I work with have the Green Mountain pellet smoker and swear by it. Connects to your phone via Wifi so you can set it up to cook exactly how and what you want.

Reaction Score
Anyone here have a blackstone grill? Just bought one as a second grill, so looking for some opinions/recipes for it. I heard they are really good for breakfast food.

I can already tell it’s taking a while to heat up with the new england wind, so that could be an issue at times.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Anyone here have a blackstone grill? Just bought one as a second grill, so looking for some opinions/recipes for it. I heard they are really good for breakfast food.

I can already tell it’s taking a while to heat up with the new england wind, so that could be an issue at times.
Use it for tailgating. I love it. Make sure you preheat it real good or your food will stick.

I also recommend getting the adapter for a large propane tank vs using the little green canisters

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Smoked Pot Roast: https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/chuck-pot-roast
There's no reason to waste pellets once the roast is covered in a dutch oven. Just use your regular oven at 275 for 4.5 hours.​
Get frozen baby onions - trying to peel two cups of pearl onions is beyond tedious.​
Doing the pot roast again tomorrow.​
Let me know how they turn out.
Ok. Made this yesterday. I cook a lot, and try all sorts of recipes. This kicked! Even got the "this is special" rating from my wife, who's not that into the smoker thing. I skipped the chili powder, but did the dried anchos, and I'm happy - had just the right amount of pepper influence.

Also didn't do the pearl onions, just threw in a thickly sliced big yellow onion. THANKS!

Last edited:

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Shameless plug. Good buddy of mine has a line of rubs and seasonings out. Tonys smokin again. Theyre in quite a few grocery stores around the state. The coffee garlic has been my go to for a long time before it ever hit the market.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Shameless plug. Good buddy of mine has a line of rubs and seasonings out. Tonys smokin again. Theyre in quite a few grocery stores around the state. The coffee garlic has been my go to for a long time before it ever hit the market.
Any online sales? I like to try new rubs and wouldn't mind supporting a friend of the yard.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Any online sales? I like to try new rubs and wouldn't mind supporting a friend of the yard.

Yessir. An Etsy page as well as a regular web page. (Wasnt sure if i could post links)

Reaction Score
I want a big green egg so bad but I have a family to support
Make a habit of checking Craigslist. They show up now and then by people moving out of state of which there should be a lot these days who are moving out of the Northeast..... It just costs way too much to move due to its heavy weight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom