Can we sneak into a bye in BET? | The Boneyard

Can we sneak into a bye in BET?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The top 4 spots in the BET are locked up. They are in no particular end of season order,but 1-4 will be Xavier, Marquette, Providence, and Creighton. So that leaves only 5th place at best for us.

Right now we are playing on Wednesday as the 6th seed in a first round game.

We will be competing with Seton Hall (a game up on us) and Nova (a couple games back but with a game in hand). I've gotta figure the only 2 realistic options are a 5 or a 6. We have a better chance of being a 7 than a 4, but I don't care about 4 because 4 or 5 seed is the same game time.

Right now I think it is a coin flip we earn a bye. Don't know what to think, and I'm trying to plan my NYC dinner reservations for that week (namely 4 Charles Prime Rib, which is impossible to get a reservation at, they book 21 days in advance and you have to be luckier on resi than you would be trying to get Taylor swift tix on ticketmaster............ and we will need to make a decision in a couple weeks).

There is a tear in my eye typing this, because if you told me 31 days ago that our most likely league finish is 5-7 I would've called you Nelson Muntz. On 1/31 I was already locked into BET but was also tentatively making plans for Albany and MSG.

So I guess I'm asking for predictions on out BET seed.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
The top 4 spots in the BET are locked up. They are in no particular end of season order,but 1-4 will be Xavier, Marquette, Providence. So that leaves only 5th place at best for us.

We will be competing with Seton Hall (a game up on us) and Nova (a couple games back but with a game in hand). I've gotta figure the only 2 realistic options are a 5 or a 6. We have a better chance of being a 7 than a 4, but I don't care about 4 because 4 or 5 seed is the same game time.

Right now I think it is a coin flip we earn a bye. Don't know what to think, and I'm trying to plan my NYC dinner reservations for that week (namely 4 Charles Prime Rib, which is impossible to get a reservation at, they book 21 days in advance and you have to be luckier on resi than you would be trying to get Taylor swift tix on ticketmaster............ and we will need to make a decision in a couple weeks).

There is a tear in my eye typing this, because if you told me 31 days ago that our most likely league finish is 5-7 I would've called you Nelson Muntz. On 1/31 I was already locked into BET but was also tentatively making plans for Albany and MSG.

Love the Nelson Muntz reference.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I think we go 5. The hardest part of our schedule is behind us.

I hope Hurley has burned that cardboard cutout of the Big East regular season trophy. It can only serve as a reminder of what heretofore will be known as "the January cataclysm"

in 30 years much like we talk about our hurts of Laettner in 90 and 'Yell in 94, people will remind us: "Hey don't forget the January Cataclysm of '23"

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Seton Hall still has to play UConn, Creighton, Providence and Xavier.

Right now I like our chances at the bye, but one wrong slip up, i.e. lose to Villanova or SH and we're in trouble.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I hope Hurley has burned that cardboard cutout of the Big East regular season trophy. It can only serve as a reminder of what heretofore will be known as "the January cataclysm"

in 30 years much like we talk about our hurts of Laettner in 90 and 'Yell in 94, people will remind us: "Hey don't forget the January Cataclysm of '23"
I hope this carting around of cardboard trophies and motivational quotes ends this season. These guys know what's important

Reaction Score
We're also a pretty heavy favorite for the 5 seed here based on expected results. I'll play around with it a bit later, but 3 games clear of both 4th and 6th place

I've never seen that calculator before. Very cool, going to have to bookmark that.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I hope this carting around of cardboard trophies and motivational quotes ends this season. These guys know what's important

The cockeyed optimist in me is hoping we tear though the last 6 weeks of regular season like the first 6 weeks. It most likely wont get us anything Better than a 5 seed in BET but I would feel a lot better going into the tourneys.

Reaction Score
Argument could be made that we still have the ability to grab 4 spot if we win winnable games.. No surprises for us .and we get some unexpected help from mid-tier teams who are playing X/Prov/ Marq/ C..

FWIW..A thought on the dinner reservations.. Double book with different last names at different times.. Wife's maiden name on one /yours on another. One early/one late .. And see how the matchups shape up leading into the BET.. Canceling the one you no longer need. They will not have a problem filling the vacant spot during BET week.
Tipping the host/hostess on the way in helps the vibe for everyone.. ( Speaking as a former waiter)..

Reaction Score
Being the 6 seed wouldn't be the worst. Warm up game against Georgetown or Depaul, and then a night game against the 3 seed (likely not Xavier or Marquette...). That honestly might be the best option for us lol

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Argument could be made that we still have the ability to grab 4 spot if we win winnable games.. No surprises for us .and we get some unexpected help from mid-tier teams who are playing X/Prov/ Marq/ C..

FWIW..A thought on the dinner reservations.. Double book with different last names at different times.. Wife's maiden name on one /yours on another. One early/one late .. And see how the matchups shape up leading into the BET.. Canceling the one you no longer need. They will not have a problem filling the vacant spot during BET week.
Tipping the host/hostess on the way in helps the vibe for everyone.. ( Speaking as a former waiter)..

you have to have a resy account and you really need 5 people refreshing the page the second it goes on every day hoping that ONE of you gets lucky enough to grab a table at ANY time (and lots of them are after 11PM) the place is tiny.

My Amex concierge service (which once got me a table at the French Laundry in Napa) can't swing it for whatever reason. I'm sure it won't live up to expectations after all this, and there are plenty of great steakhouses in Manhattan, but I've heard raves about the prime rib here, and I gotta see.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Being the 6 seed wouldn't be the worst. Warm up game against Georgetown or Depaul, and then a night game against the 3 seed (likely not Xavier or Marquette...). That honestly might be the best option for us lol

I've thought about that. It's a solid point.

Reaction Score
In any case, not finishing top 3 is super disappointing after the start to the season. That being said, the BE has a lot of really great teams who got better as the season went on. X and Marquette look like second weekend teams, and Creighton and Providence certainly have a shot to get to the second weekend as well.

Reaction Score
The top 4 spots in the BET are locked up. They are in no particular end of season order,but 1-4 will be Xavier, Marquette, Providence, and Creighton. So that leaves only 5th place at best for us.

I had never heard of 4 Charles Prime Rib so I looked it up. Whoa! You’re big time. I want to party with you! Are you August West or Kanye West?

Reaction Score
@ Gtown- W
Marquette - W
@ Creighton - L
Hall- W
PC- W
@ St John’s- W
Depaul- W
@ Nova- L

finish in 5th at 12-8

imo the only remaining acceptable losses would be at Creighton and at Nova. Creighton looks like the team they were at the beginning of the season and Nova will keep getting better with Moore back; they almost won at Marquette last night. otherwise we need to avenge our Ls to Marquette, PC, Hall, and SJU, which are all at home except for SJU.

Reaction Score
It's not a bad path, but imagine being told UConn will play on Wednesday of the BET a month ago.

Reaction Score
I don’t think there’s an easy part of the schedule. These will be very tough games.

Marquette
@ Creighton
@ Villanova
PC
@ St John’s

I’d be surprised if we finish 13-7.

Yain't wrong... just playing the optimist. Creighton away will be a TALL task. Nova too. I think the other games are all winnable.

Reaction Score
you have to have a resy account and you really need 5 people refreshing the page the second it goes on every day hoping that ONE of you gets lucky enough to grab a table at ANY time (and lots of them are after 11PM) the place is tiny.

My Amex concierge service (which once got me a table at the French Laundry in Napa) can't swing it for whatever reason. I'm sure it won't live up to expectations after all this, and there are plenty of great steakhouses in Manhattan, but I've heard raves about the prime rib here, and I gotta see.
French Laundry is a happening place... Nice grab.. Have you done Per Se in NYC?

Reaction Score

The reservation is going to work out. Having stalked that place for years, and once throwing the golden ticket away due to my own foolishness, you can be the beneficiary of my failure. The change from 30 to 21 only helps with BET planning. There will also be at least 3 straight days, Thursday to Saturday to try. Lock in the five seed. This team is about to close the season just how it started, by 3 upping 2011 and rolling14 straight wins.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom