Can UConn women's basketball earn No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament? ESPN's bracketologist weighs in | The Boneyard

Can UConn women's basketball earn No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament? ESPN's bracketologist weighs in

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The UConn women’s basketball team will learn the NCAA Tournament bracket Sunday, less than a week after completing a three-game sprint through the Big East Tournament. After losing two games in February and falling in the national rankings, the Huskies made a resounding statement at Mohegan Sun and completed the tournament with a win over Villanova.

Reaction Score
What really hurt UConn were the loses to unranked teams...I think they will end up a #2 seed, hopefully in a bracket with Virginia or some other team that is ranked higher up than they deserve.

Reaction Score
To me, the only thing that matters is that UConn avoids the 4,5 , 8 or 9 position. Avoiding SC until the last game is of paramount importance

Reaction Score
To me, the only thing that matters is that UConn avoids the 4,5 , 8 or 9 position. Avoiding SC until the last game is of paramount importance
I disagree. I’d rather face South Carolina with more than one day to prep and rest.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think that the committee will look at what UConn did in the BET more than what happened in February. They now have the full team back of 10 players, Paige and Ice are not in the equation. With those players they demolished the Big East teams with ease over those 3 days. I believe that they want to have SC and UConn meet no earlier than the Final Four and if they can finagle it the NC game, better for the ratings.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
When was this media call? Two days ago he had South Carolina, Indiana, Iowa and Tech as the top seeds. What's happened in two days that moves Iowa down and Stanford up? Certainly not their play, and I wouldn't think the Big 12 tourney would have any bearing either.

It is the 21st century, maybe he's schizoid man. ;)

Reaction Score
What really hurt UConn were the loses to unranked teams...I think they will end up a #2 seed, hopefully in a bracket with Virginia or some other team that is ranked higher up than they deserve.
Stanford lost to unranked USC and again to unranked Washington.

Stanford also has had a healthy lineup all year, with a much deeper bench that UConn’s. All things considered, UConn’s season has been much more impressive.

Reaction Score
I disagree. I’d rather face South Carolina with more than one day to prep and rest.
I agree and said the same thing a couple of times. If you have to meet SC it's better to do it in game 5 with a few days rest/prep than game 6 with 1 day rest/prep. Beating SC matters a heck of a lot more than simply getting to game 6. Of course if you beat SC in game 5 there is the danger of a let down in game 6. You have to continue a "miracle on ice" attitude going into the final game.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
We don't need a #1 seed. Right now, we are the second best #2, with teams we know we can beat in the tournament, and if we win the region, we can't play SC until the NC game. If they make us the fourth #1, we will be in Seattle and will face SC in the final four semis if we win the region. IMHO, we are better off where Creme has placed us and will have an easier road to the FF. The toughest game would be against Indiana who I think is a great ream, but one that we can beat.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe you should be able to lose in your conference tournament and still secure a 1 seed. My four #1’s:
  • SC
  • Iowa
  • VA Tech
  • UConn

So, you are saying that last year’s top seeded team and eventual champion should not even have been worthy of being a top 4 (2 seed) because they lost to Kentucky in the finals of the SEC championship?

Nope. Too much weight on a one loss in a tournament if the loser has won the regular season conference championship.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So, you are saying that last year’s top seeded team and eventual champion should not even have been worthy of being a top 4 (2 seed) because they lost to Kentucky in the finals of the SEC championship?

Nope. Too much weight on a one loss in a tournament if the loser has won the regular season conference championship.
I suppose there’s exceptions to everything when it comes to bracketology. Let’s talk about this year’s other contenders for a #1 seed. LSU didn’t play any top teams outside of SC. Utah had a weak OOC schedule as well and are not ready for the Big Stage imo. Stanford’s guard play is average at best, and they’ve hung on for dear life all season while suffering 6 losses in the process.

The one school that did not win their conference championship, with the best case for a #1 seed us IN. But they lost 2 of their last 3 games, including a conference tournament matchup with a tOSU team that’s been leaking oil for a month. Since recent play is a key factor, IN should be a #2 seed imo.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I suppose there’s exceptions to everything when it comes to bracketology. Let’s talk about this year’s other contenders for a #1 seed. LSU didn’t play any top teams outside of SC. Utah had a weak OOC schedule as well and are not ready for the Big Stage imo. Stanford’s guard play is average at best, and they’ve hung on for dear life all season while suffering 5 losses in the process.

The one school that did not win their conference championship, with the best case for a #1 seed us IN. But they lost 2 of their last 3 games, including a conference tournament matchup with a tOSU team that’s been leaking oil for a month. Since recent play is a key factor, IN should be a #2 seed imo.
If you are right @oldude and Indiana drops, and we move up, they would probably be in with VT, and Iowa would move in with us. Even though we beat them, I really don't want to play Iowa again before the FF.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you are right @oldude and Indiana drops, and we move up, they would probably be in with VT, and Iowa would move in with us. Even though we beat them, I really don't want to play Iowa again before the FF.
If I’m right and UConn, Iowa, VT & SC are all #1 seeds, we could not possibly play Iowa again prior to the FF.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If I’m right and UConn, Iowa, VT & SC are all #1 seeds, we could not possibly play Iowa again prior to the FF.
Even though they don't deserve it, I'm afraid Stanford may be #1 instead of Iowa. ESPN loves them. But, I am hoping you are right.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
My feeling right now is SC and UConn are the 2 strongest teams. Indiana is a very good team however coming down the stretch they faltered. I still think they are better the Iowa and Vatech. Stanford I agree is weak at the guards and has struggled. The biggest difference is IU Stanford Vtech and Iowa have all been healthy and UConn hasnt. UConn showed early in the season how a healthy UConn team can be dangerous and in the BET UConn showed again how strong they are. If UConn is a 2 seed I would be shocked because IMO you have to come up with excuses to rank them lower they a 1 seed. This healthy UConn can put up alot of points which the depleted UConn team we saw didnt. Many of the top teams havent put up alot of points.

Reflecting on all the polls and pollsters not giving any credit to UConn I have to wonder if UConn will face a home job in the NCAAs. The only way UConn can lose is foul trouble or injuries. Foul trouble bothers me. Just my opinion and FWIW. We will see tomorrow nite when the pairings come out who is in UConns bracket. Last year it was the most difficult road to the Final game. I would hope this season its not.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom