Can UConn women's basketball earn No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament? ESPN's bracketologist weighs in | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Can UConn women's basketball earn No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament? ESPN's bracketologist weighs in

Reaction Score
UConn will either be the #2 or #3 overall seed to match them up with Indiana. The 4th overall seed will be determined by factors such as matchups and location, because a number of teams have a case for that 4th seed.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
So send Stanford to Seattle as a #2 seed. That’s what they did last year with UConn to Bridgeport as a #2 seed.
Not quite, Stanford is 835 miles from Seattle and UConn is a 4 iron from Bridgeport. Nice try @oldude LOL

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not quite, Stanford is 835 miles from Seattle and UConn is a 4 iron from Bridgeport. Nice try @oldude LOL
You must really flush your irons..:cool:

But my post was simply responding to another post suggesting that the NCAA wanted Stanford to be a #1 seed so they could put them in the “West Region” which is in Seattle this year. I was making the point that Stanford could still end up in the West Region as a #2 seed, just as UConn ended up in the East Region as a #2 seed last year. I wasn’t really talking about the mileage involved.

Reaction Score
Poor Charlie.... he will hate it if UConn gets a number one.
Here's his latest:
In the final top-16 reveal, the NCAA committee leaned toward recent success over full body of work -- even though that hasn't been what the committee has prioritized in the past. This week, a nagging feeling has lingered that the trend will continue. So as we head into Selection Sunday, Iowa has been elevated to the fourth No. 1 seed, dropping Stanford to the 2-line. The Cardinal have a better overall résumé than Iowa, but the image of the Hawkeyes beating Indiana on a buzzer-beater in the regular-season finale then blowing out Ohio State in the Big Ten tournament title game might prove too much to ignore for this committee. Stanford losing in the Pac-12 tournament semifinals opened the door; the committee will push Iowa through it. UConn also slides up the 2-line and to No. 5 overall. Deciphering the paper-thin differences among the Huskies, Hawkeyes and Cardinal looms as the committee's most difficult task.

Reaction Score
Charlie’s latest bracket sees Iowa as 1 seed on the grounds of recent play meriting it, lol. But at least he concedes (in his last line) that it will be tough for the committee to choose among Iowa UConn and Stanford for that last 1 seed.

Reaction Score
Charlie’s latest bracket sees Iowa as 1 seed on the grounds of recent play meriting it, lol. But at least he concedes (in his last line) that it will be tough for the committee to choose among Iowa UConn and Stanford for that last 1 seed.
I’d take this region in a heartbeat. UConn’s beaten Texas, Duke decisively and Iowa (without Dorka).

Reaction Score

Cliff notes on all of Charlie’s musings: I use the SWAG method ( scientific wild arse guess) on all my predictions, rankings, and bracketology.
I am positive about one fact however, & that is in less than 24 hours you can throw out rankings, stats, quad one wins, net, Massey, and whatever other metrics you wish to use because every team will be 0-0, and none of those metrics will save you if you don’t survive and advance. One a personal note I would love to see UConn as a 2 seed in Va. Tech’s bracket. I think a 2 seed gives UConn a bit of a chip on their shoulder, and takes a bit of the pressure off of being a #1. Disclaimer, I used Charlie’s methodology on that last sentence. JMO

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I disagree. I’d rather face South Carolina with more than one day to prep and rest.
Any team that wins the tournament must at some point go through South Carolina. It would be advantageous to do so as you suggest with 4 days of rest and preparation than just one.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
At half-time of the Iowa State-Texas game, Monica McNutt gave her perspective on who should be the 4th #1 seed and surprisingly when she gave the resume recap, she said it should be UConn as they have the strongest case. I wasn't paying enough attention initially (I mean it was Monica McNutt speaking) so I don't know who was the default #3 1 seed. The resume she touted was so clearly skewed towards UConn as no-brainer #1, I would have thought she was a regular BYer on this forum. :rolleyes:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
At half-time of the Iowa State-Texas game, Monica McNutt gave her perspective on who should be the 4th #1 seed and surprisingly when she gave the resume recap, she said it should be UConn as they have the strongest case. I wasn't paying enough attention initially (I mean it was Monica McNutt speaking) so I don't know who was the default #3 1 seed. The resume she touted was so clearly skewed towards UConn as no-brainer #1, I would have thought she was a regular BYer on this forum. :rolleyes:
I guess CC is going to have a talk with some higher ups at ESPN on Monica's perspective. It undermines his bracketology wisdom and that she should be more of a "TEAM" player.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I guess CC is going to have a talk with some higher ups at ESPN on Monica's perspective. It undermines his bracketology wisdom and that she should be more of a "TEAM" player.
McNutt was basically pretty close to Creme who indicated the last #1 spot would come down to Iowa, Stanford & UConn. But what McNutt did was to specifically look at UConn’s superior NET rankings, while also pointing out that Iowa is 9-2 in games vs ranked (quad1) games, Stanford is 6-3 and UConn is 11-3.

Reaction Score
If they are smart and want ratings, the committee will ensure that UConn and SC do not meet in the semis of the FF. Now, for that to happen, if they make UConn a #1, they can't be the fourth #1 because that will make the game with them in the semis. If they don't want controversy, they may leave UConn as a #2 and grouped with the overall #2 or 3, meaning we would be grouped with Indiana or Virginia Tech. (that is if the others stay the same as Creme says). So, to avoid SC before the NC game, they cannot be the fourth #1, or the best #2. The best #2 will be in the same region as the fourth #1, thus if we get there, we will play SC in the semis. That is why I would be satisfied if the present bracket doesn't change.
Boneyarders, I may be wrong, but I’m almost positive that both SCar and UCONN have to play and win a few games prior to meeting in the tourney, regardless of the bracket they’re in. Also, a) I won’t ignore the talents of the lesser ranked teams; b) I don't believe the selection committee cares about the fans’ opinions; c) I will cheer for UCONN no matter their seeding.
Let the games begin with all healthy players!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom