Can UConn spearhead a new FBS FB Conference with NBE schools? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can UConn spearhead a new FBS FB Conference with NBE schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
UConn
UMass
Army
Buffalo
Villanova
Delaware
Marshall
Ohio

This would not be horrible. It's better than giving up football. But I know the FCS schools want to stay there, and Army wouldn't want to join a conference perceived as a step down from what Navy has.

From what I've seen, the independent schedules would probably be better than playing the schools listed above in a conference, although the lack of stability with independence is scary.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I strongly discourage any daydreams about making what would instantly and permanently be the worst G5 level football conference with no bowls and no real following.

We are better off independent so we try to have full schedule flexibility to play 4-6 P5 games a year. We also better off independent than associating ourselves with a bottom level conference or a national level conference also with no real following (ie CUSA).

Yes, we have a bowl problem as an independent, but let’s win some games first and then see where those cards fall. I’d liked to win 7 games on an independent slate and put pressure on some bowl (any bowl!) to take us all the while playing a schedule that gave us more northern teams.

Reaction Score
Sadly, you know this has been discussed by our illustrious leaders as a possibility.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I strongly discourage any daydreams about making what would instantly and permanently be the worst G5 level football conference with no bowls and no real following.

We are better off independent so we try to have full schedule flexibility to play 4-6 P5 games a year. We also better off independent than associating ourselves with a bottom level conference or a national level conference also with no real following (ie CUSA).

Yes, we have a bowl problem as an independent, but let’s win some games first and then see where those cards fall. I’d liked to win 7 games on an independent slate and put pressure on some bowl (any bowl!) to take us all the while playing a schedule that gave us more northern teams.
Improve FB quality, ride out a few years as an independent, then see where we’re at.

Some stuff we can control and some stuff we can’t.

Reaction Score
This will be a good idea. The players can provide their own uniforms and equipment.

Kinda like the American Alliance. Go get Charlie Ebersol & his Mom.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
UConn (FCS drop down)
Georgetown
Nova
Butler
Rhode Island
Wagner
Central Connecticut State
Lafayette
Howard
Monmouth

What's really crazy is that this FCS league also makes zero sense. Nova and URI are going to leave the CAA to play in a league with a bunch of teams from the NEC, the Patriot League, and the MEAC? What the what?

Reaction Score
Suddenly solid FCS Programs - almost all SunBelt (Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, South Alabama, Texas State, Georgia Southern, Georgia State) - and Programs from NOWHERE Old Dominion & Liberty & Charlotte are FBS. And all those AAC + SEC + ACC schools (epaulets on all), are playing them as REAL Saturday games.

In our region, the comparables have not chinned up. But they have their eyes open. There’s virtually no equivalents. O ... UMASS.

I think there’s nothing wrong with UCONN boosting Fordham & Holy Cross (longtime tradition rich football names); but also UALBANY & Stony Brook & Towson & Delaware. Army is playing these; and no one on that side of the Hudson is whining - at least CT residents haven’t heard it. Fishy? I think we can put 2 FCS on our schedule if needed. I think we should promote regionals fights with Buffalo & UMASS & Navy & Army & Temple. Our Brand can raise the others. Regionally we are better off in 10 years if UAlbany & Stony Brook + James Madison & Delaware are playing to 20,000. Our regional college marketplace has fallen behind; but we still have enormous demographics ... as I think the rich harvest of Canada will prove. Plus NE preps schools.

Reaction Score
What's really crazy is that this FCS league also makes zero sense. Nova and URI are going to leave the CAA to play in a league with a bunch of teams from the NEC, the Patriot League, and the MEAC? What the what?
Just a troll that didn't do his homework before posting.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Suddenly solid FCS Programs - almost all SunBelt (Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, South Alabama, Texas State, Georgia Southern, Georgia State) - and Programs from NOWHERE Old Dominion & Liberty & Charlotte are FBS. And all those AAC + SEC + ACC schools (epaulets on all), are playing them as REAL Saturday games.

In our region, the comparables have not chinned up. But they have their eyes open. There’s virtually no equivalents. O ... UMASS.

I think there’s nothing wrong with UCONN boosting Fordham & Holy Cross (longtime tradition rich football names); but also UALBANY & Stony Brook & Towson & Delaware. Army is playing these; and no one on that side of the Hudson is whining - at least CT residents haven’t heard it. Fishy? I think we can put 2 FCS on our schedule if needed. I think we should promote regionals fights with Buffalo & UMASS & Navy & Army & Temple. Our Brand can raise the others. Regionally we are better off in 10 years if UAlbany & Stony Brook + James Madison & Delaware are playing to 20,000. Our regional college marketplace has fallen behind; but we still have enormous demographics ... as I think the rich harvest of Canada will prove. Plus NE preps schools.

Army plays those schools so they don’t go 2-10.

Everyone at Army seems to get this. While random people on the internet don’t.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Kinda like the American Alliance. Go get Charlie Ebersol & his Mom.

You have an unhealthy obsession with this total con artist and it has to stop.

Reaction Score

Point ...

We are going to be faced with a November schedule with UMASS.

I don’t think UCONN fans will object - in the near years - with a James Madison or Fordham in November.

Point 2 ...

The Southern - the upside down CFB world has placed 10 former FCS programs in the higher division. I don’t believe any of them is markedly far better than where Madison/Delaware or other good CAA are. We should promote DC to Maine football. (Unlike BC who wanted to decimate this)

10 years from now ... still playing FBS ... we could use a few of these places giving 85 scholarships. Playing in front of 20k. Ok in Stream ESPN+ or other.

I don’t care how Army gets to a bowl. I care how we get a Fanbase at UCONN to care again.

Reaction Score
Consisting of A10 & NBE schools (both leagues have similar basketball set ups) united with the local indies.

UConn
Dayton (FBS Call up)
Davidson (FBS Call up)
Duquesne (FBS Call up)
Rhode Island (FBS Call up)
Georgetown (FBS Call up)
Nova (FBS Call up)
Butler (FBS Call up)
Liberty
UMASS

OR... UConn, Butler, Georgetown, and Villanova, can join forces to create a new new big east FCS league, which could look like this.

UConn (FCS drop down)
Georgetown
Nova
Butler
Rhode Island
Wagner
Central Connecticut State
Lafayette
Howard
Monmouth
Did Connecticut legalized recreational marijuana smoking? If not you need to stop smoking it and step away from the adult beverages....

Reaction Score
Did Connecticut legalized recreational marijuana smoking? If not you need to stop smoking it and step away from the adult beverages....

No chance that these ideas are the result of smoking weed. These type of delusions come from huffing Raid Ant and Roach Killer off of a gasoline soaked rag. Nothing from nature could make someone's brain misfire this badly. Dude should have to pass a breathalyzer test to operate a toilet.

Reaction Score
Hahaha...there's a reason all those FCS schools (Villanova, et al.) are playing at that level. It's because they wanna be. And UCONN isn't about to drop down to FCS for what, so we can lose even more money?

Both of these ideas are non-starters at the gate.

Actually dropping to FCS would allow the AD to cut the cost of 85 scholarships out of the budget. And then would allow for a corresponding 85 scholarships to be cut from women's programs.

Reaction Score

UConn is the the rising tide that will bring up all the regional schools. Can’t you see it?

Reaction Score
Actually dropping to FCS would allow the AD to cut the cost of 85 scholarships out of the budget. And then would allow for a corresponding 85 scholarships to be cut from women's programs.
Even in your hypothetical move to FCS, scholarship #s are highly unlikely to decrease by 85 nor even close. On the other hand, revenue potential would most likely dramatically decline to peanuts balanced against currently undefinable possible cost savings (an abundance of increased facts would be required for anything more than unsubstantiated speculation on the latter).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The next person who posts a thread that encourages Pudge to start waxing poetic about University of Albany football is going to be banned for a thousand years. Anyone responding in that thread will be banned for 500 years.

Reaction Score
The next person who posts a thread that encourages Pudge to start waxing poetic about University of Albany football is going to be banned for a thousand years. Anyone responding in that thread will be banned for 500 years.

My Summer Finance class is 2:30-5:30 Monday & Wednesday. They’ve got a gorgeous new stadium.

Seriously. UConn regionally is surrounded by solid FCS & the comparable FCS surrounding Atlanta all went FBS in the last 10 years. I don’t buy the Exit 4 claim of diluted talent ... you always have to develop talent in the Northernmost Programs. Like Iowa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom