Can UConn spearhead a new FBS FB Conference with NBE schools? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Can UConn spearhead a new FBS FB Conference with NBE schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
My Summer Finance class is 2:30-5:30 Monday & Wednesday. They’ve got a gorgeous new stadium.

Seriously. UConn regionally is surrounded by solid FCS & the comparable FCS surrounding Atlanta all went FBS in the last 10 years. I don’t buy the Exit 4 claim of diluted talent ... you always have to develop talent in the Northernmost Programs. Like Iowa.
Maybe your efforts should be focused on Binghamton adding FCS football.

Reaction Score
Maybe your efforts should be focused on Binghamton adding FCS football.

Somewhere there’s a Memphis fan or Tulane fan saying ... why the heck do we have to play South Alabama or FIU.

I’ve found over the last 15 years of watching College Football fans that there’s an amazing level of dismissiveness towards virtually all opponents. UConn always was unworthy. Then ... we were able to point our finger at these others below us.

Well. We have run out of being able to do that. What - you core 15,000 UConn football fans - are you willing to watch. I think we will be fine with Holy Cross - Army - James Madison; I’m not happy playing Central. I’d love to kick a Yale Bulldog again.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Somewhere there’s a Memphis fan or Tulane fan saying ... why the heck do we have to play South Alabama or FIU.

I’ve found over the last 15 years of watching College Football fans that there’s an amazing level of dismissiveness towards virtually all opponents. UConn always was unworthy. Then ... we were able to point our finger at these others below us.

Well. We have run out of being able to do that. What - you core 15,000 UConn football fans - are you willing to watch. I think we will be fine with Holy Cross - Army - James Madison; I’m not happy playing Central. I’d love to kick a Yale Bulldog again.

I'd love to see us kick ANYBODY in the face again, even if it's only the Little Sisters of the Poor.

Kicking the Yale Bulldog reminded me of the old Harvard-Yale legend. Back shortly after the turn of the 19th Century, there's a legend that Harvard coach Percy Houghton strangled a bulldog in the Harvard locker room either before or during halftime of the H-Y football game. I think the story has been largely discredited, but if it were ever conclusively proven, Houghton ought to be PETA's poster boy, right alongside Michael Vick.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
My Summer Finance class is 2:30-5:30 Monday & Wednesday. They’ve got a gorgeous new stadium.

Seriously. UConn regionally is surrounded by solid FCS & the comparable FCS surrounding Atlanta all went FBS in the last 10 years. I don’t buy the Exit 4 claim of diluted talent ... you always have to develop talent in the Northernmost Programs. Like Iowa.

There is a big difference between Iowa or the South compared with the NE for CFB. I have no objection to playing a couple of northeastern FCS schools as an Independent, because we're not going to a bowl game anyway, but I don't see how that's going to magically elevate any of them to jump to the FBS division. We've been playing these schools for years and none of them have jumped yet.

These NE flagship state universities have been playing small college and I-AA football since the beginning of time. Apparently nothing is going change their minds anytime soon, if ever. Sadly, this is why we had no regional conference of FBS schools to turn to when we stayed with the remnants of the old Big East.

Reaction Score
There is a big difference between Iowa or the South compared with the NE for CFB. I have no objection to playing a couple of northeastern FCS schools as an Independent, because we're not going to a bowl game anyway, but I don't see how that's going to magically elevate any of them to jump to the FBS division. We've been playing these schools for years and none of them have jumped yet.

These NE flagship state universities have been playing small college and I-AA football since the beginning of time. Apparently nothing is going change their minds anytime soon, if ever. Sadly, this is why we had no regional conference of FBS schools to turn to when we stayed with the remnants of the old Big East.

Money. That’s the only thing that makes one move up. There’s been plenty of good dialogue here on why FCS economics don’t work. Yes FBS adds a few million expenses. But if there are avenues to gain incremental revenue, the FCS move. Why 5 or 6 states in the south rather than around Northeast? They get paid by P5 & there’s some Rights distribution.

You have to look at each individual university. I agree on the New England State U comment.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Do you know where he's buried?
Jimmy says hi to the yard #freejimmy
BCD87482-CDB7-499E-8CDF-327BB07380E4.jpeg

Reaction Score
Consisting of A10 & NBE schools (both leagues have similar basketball set ups) united with the local indies.

UConn
Dayton (FBS Call up)
Davidson (FBS Call up)
Duquesne (FBS Call up)
Rhode Island (FBS Call up)
Georgetown (FBS Call up)
Nova (FBS Call up)
Butler (FBS Call up)
Liberty
UMASS

OR... UConn, Butler, Georgetown, and Villanova, can join forces to create a new new big east FCS league, which could look like this.

UConn (FCS drop down)
Georgetown
Nova
Butler
Rhode Island
Wagner
Central Connecticut State
Lafayette
Howard
Monmouth
NO FCS!!!!

Reaction Score
NO FCS!!!!

We shall vote with our ticket purchases.

Does BYU? Does Army? Would you go to a game against Yale? Do we respect Fordham & Holy Cross more than South Alabama?

Recruiting priorities matter to me. But I can't see a schedule value in many of the recently FCS elevated over the regional traditions.

Our Rose Bowl? laughably - we can eyeroll as Rutgers dreams …. but our Rose moment as a Fanbase is always Friday or Saturday nights at MSG in March. That is back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom