Can South Carolina be the next UCONN in Women's college basketball? Dawn Staley weighs in | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Can South Carolina be the next UCONN in Women's college basketball? Dawn Staley weighs in

Reaction Score
Bald faced assertion with no facts to back it up. Not even any good rhetoric.???? What "best teams" were better? Four (4) Top Ten teams weren't in 5 games.

One loss to # 20 ranked Indiana. That's it.

Beat #3 Baylor
Beat #4 Maryland
Beat #5 UConn
Beat #9 Mississippi State x 2
Beat everybody else they played including other ranked teams.

#1 RPI, #1 AP, #1 Coaches Poll, #1 Selection Committee last reveal (before beating two ranked teams in final games).

Again, only Massey had Oregon ranked #1. (But, yes. They were an excellent team)
Absolutely a bald face assertion.

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan let me be the first to say "wait till Dawn retires"! It'll be the end of SCWB. :D
Very possibly. 95% chance we hire someone from within and that rarely ever works.

Reaction Score
Well, you can sell the bridge to:
The majority of sports journalists who voted in the AP poll.
The majority of wbb coaches who voted in the coaches poll
The Majority of the selection committee

But hey, Massey had Oregon number one.

Bald faced assertion with no facts to back it up. Not even any good rhetoric.???? What "best teams" were better? Four (4) Top Ten teams weren't in 5 games.

One loss to # 20 ranked Indiana. That's it.

Beat #3 Baylor
Beat #4 Maryland
Beat #5 UConn
Beat #9 Mississippi State x 2
Beat everybody else they played including other ranked teams.

#1 RPI, #1 AP, #1 Coaches Poll, #1 Selection Committee last reveal (before beating two ranked teams in final games).

Again, only Massey had Oregon ranked #1. (But, yes. They were an excellent team)

RPI was a dinosaur that was euthanized. The AP, Coaches & Comittee are all 100% subjective sources. Only Massey is objective.

Dawn should have kept her mouth shut. She be hounded by that silly claim of championship until she retires and likely afterwards.

Reaction Score
RPI was a dinosaur that was euthanized. The AP, Coaches & Comittee are all 100% subjective sources. Only Massey is objective.

Dawn should have kept her mouth shut. She be hounded by that silly claim of championship until she retires and likely afterwards.

No one cares.

Reaction Score

Massey is objectively subjective. It assumes things in the beginning basted upon the previous year’s performance and that bias is never eliminated. Don’t get me wrong, I check it every morning during the season.

Also, Was it right in its ranking of UConn at the end of the last regular season? An objective system doesn’t account for injuries, players returning from injuries, etc.

Reaction Score
Massey is objectively subjective. It assumes things in the beginning basted upon the previous year’s performance and that bias is never eliminated. Don’t get me wrong, I check it every morning during the season.

Also, Was it right in its ranking of UConn at the end of the last regular season? An objective system doesn’t account for injuries, players returning from injuries, etc.

True but it's influence diminishes as the season goes on and by the end of the season it's miniscule. And it isn't bias. It's still an objective measure. Unlike the AP bias where teams that play a mickey mouse OOC sched. but are in a P-5 ( Maryland, LSU) get a high preseason ranking, go 13-0 in OOC, move up to AP top 5 and even though they play .500 ball the rest of the season they still stay top 25, get a 4 or 5 seed only to lose in the 1st 2 rounds of the NCAA's. Then that Team loses a few players to transfer, picks up a bunch and when the 2023 AP top 25 comes out Maryland will once again be named as a likely FF team by Vopel and Creme. And definitely a top 10 program although Maryland left the ESPN stable to the B1G so maybe they won't get the hype this year.

Sorry for the rant but the whole topic of AP rankings isn't worth it. It's a media side show. There are a few good analytical rating services but I wouldn't try and claim a championship based on them either. I lived decades with the AP deciding who the NCAA football champion was to accept any claim based on the votes of 31 people, all of whom have biases whether or not they are aware of them.

Reaction Score
True but it's influence diminishes as the season goes on and by the end of the season it's miniscule. And it isn't bias. It's still an objective measure. Unlike the AP bias where teams that play a mickey mouse OOC sched. but are in a P-5 ( Maryland, LSU) get a high preseason ranking, go 13-0 in OOC, move up to AP top 5 and even though they play .500 ball the rest of the season they still stay top 25, get a 4 or 5 seed only to lose in the 1st 2 rounds of the NCAA's. Then that Team loses a few players to transfer, picks up a bunch and when the 2023 AP top 25 comes out Maryland will once again be named as a likely FF team by Vopel and Creme. And definitely a top 10 program although Maryland left the ESPN stable to the B1G so maybe they won't get the hype this year.

Sorry for the rant but the whole topic of AP rankings isn't worth it. It's a media side show. There are a few good analytical rating services but I wouldn't try and claim a championship based on them either. I lived decades with the AP deciding who the NCAA football champion was to accept any claim based on the votes of 31 people, all of whom have biases whether or not they are aware of them.

With their non-conference schedule this year, Maryland will likely get a fair bit of attention. It's definitely not a Mickey Mouse line up this season.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
There will never be another UCONN...including UCONN...lol....there will be larger challenges to win back to back titles moving forward. Tennessee and UCONN's runs are a thing of the past. I am sure there will always be a Top 5 that will be the same most years. That is as close to a dynasty as we will see.

Reaction Score

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
At least SC won't be playing BYU. Replace the best program with a classy coach, with DS?

Reaction Score
The moment that people felt justified to introject personal opinions into sports it contradicted the entire concept of the term sport was always based on. The idea of any public event being justified as a platform for personal agendas is goal displaced entitlement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom