Can South Carolina be the next UCONN in Women's college basketball? Dawn Staley weighs in | The Boneyard

Can South Carolina be the next UCONN in Women's college basketball? Dawn Staley weighs in

Reaction Score
from Merriam-Webster a Dynasty is a powerful group or family that maintains its position for a considerable time. How many national titles have Connecticut won? How many National titles has South Carolina won up to today? Just asking.....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The short answer is, “Unlikely” given the growing number of talented players, coaches and WBB teams across the country. SC is certainly on a role right now. But it’s worth noting that since UConn’s last championship in 2016, various prognosticators have suggested that numerous teams would be the next “dynasty” in WBB including: ND, Oregon, Oregon St, UCLA, Stanford, Arizona, Louisville, Baylor, Texas, LSU, NC St, etc., etc.

While a number of teams have had their moments in the Sun, the challenge for any coach to build and maintain a dynasty even remotely equivalent to UConn’s incredible run seems impossible. UConn’s run, which is still ongoing, at least as far as consecutive FF’s is concerned, will never be equalled.

Reaction Score
The short answer is, “Unlikely” given the growing number of talented players, coaches and WBB teams across the country. SC is certainly on a role right now. But it’s worth noting that since UConn’s last championship in 2016, various prognosticators have suggested that numerous teams would be the next “dynasty” in WBB including: ND, Oregon, Oregon St, UCLA, Stanford, Arizona, Louisville, Baylor, Texas, LSU, NC St, etc., etc.

While a number of teams have had their moments in the Sun, the challenge for any coach to build and maintain a dynasty even remotely equivalent to UConn’s incredible run seems impossible. UConn’s run, which is still ongoing, at least as far as consecutive FF’s is concerned, will never be equalled.
Given two of the teams on your challengers list, Texas and LSU, SC may have trouble dominating their own conference. However, given that ND and Louisville benefitted from being in UConn's Big East shadow, maybe a resurgent SEC will play in the Gamecocks favor. Whatever the case, it will be at least 15 years before the question will actually be relevant.

Reaction Score
What happens when Boston graduates?
Another big will come right in ....Watkins is already their and they are strong candidates for ADR & Bianca Thomas . Plus the transfer portal will always help dawn secure a big. Im sure the future bigs are lining up to play for her after seeing what she has done with Wilson & Boston. They're a posts school while we are a guards school it seems .

Reaction Score
Anything is possible but I don't see South Carolina replacing UConn and being on that level of dominance. Just not happening at the moment. Like I said, anything is possible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
from Merriam-Webster a Dynasty is a powerful group or family that maintains its position for a considerable time. How many national titles have Connecticut won? How many National titles has South Carolina won up to today? Just asking.....
Actually, there are NO dynasties in WBB. A powerful group or family must maintain its position for more than just the life of one person.

Takes a NC under two or more different coaches to make a dynasty. Geno and Pat have been / were the heads of great kingdoms. Neither school is a dynasty - yet.

Reaction Score
SC isn’t a dynasty and I really doubt there will ever be another Tennessee or UConn. I think for the near future though SC will be a contender. The SEC will again be the Top Conference in the country with SC, Tenn, LSU and Texas. The two Mississippi schools and Florida, Ga, Oklahoma and A&M all have good coaches and could work their way into the mix - it’s going to be an absolute grind just to win that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But for Covid and a missed put back layup in the final four this might be a more full blown conversation.

As it is, win this year and maybe it's a discussion.
That’s one way to look at it. Here’s another. But for UConn’s only loss in OT in the national semifinal to MS St in 2017, maybe, just maybe, SC doesn’t win their first that year, and maybe, just maybe, without that first championship, Boston decides on UConn over SC, rather than the reverse….:rolleyes:

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
But for Covid and a missed put back layup in the final four this might be a more full blown conversation.

As it is, win this year and maybe it's a discussion.
Coulda, shoulda, woulda!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL teams have had to deal with what ifs. What if Shea & Sveta hadn't suffered season ending injuries, their senior year (2001)? Would our record be 5 in a row?What if Louisville hadn't beat Baylor (2013), etc etc etc. Let's talk about what did happen and go from there.

Reaction Score
Coulda, shoulda, woulda!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL teams have had to deal with what ifs. What if Shea & Sveta hadn't suffered season ending injuries, their senior year (2001)? Would our record be 5 in a row?What if Louisville hadn't beat Baylor (2013), etc etc etc. Let's talk about what did happen and go from there.
Not only that, but Oregon was the best team the year that Covid interrupted college athletics

Reaction Score
I love this conversation. I love UCONN, and I admire SCar. I love that we’ve beaten them many times, and am saddened when we’ve lost to them. This past NC was the most recent. I’m happy for SCar’s win. They deserved it. They prepped for us, showed up, and kicked our butts —regardless of issues we had. It’s not for them to sympathize with us! I also love that both Head coaches are willing to play the tough schedules. Now, I’m looking forward to many more battles between these two schools, and hoping for many more UCONN victories, especially NCs. Go UCONN!

Reaction Score
I love this conversation. I love UCONN, and I admire SCar. I love that we’ve beaten them many times, and am saddened when we’ve lost to them. This past NC was the most recent. I’m happy for SCar’s win. They deserved it. They prepped for us, showed up, and kicked our butts —regardless of issues we had. It’s not for them to sympathize with us! I also love that both Head coaches are willing to play the tough schedules. Now, I’m looking forward to many more battles between these two schools, and hoping for many more UCONN victories, especially NCs. Go UCONN!
Well said, especially the part about playing anybody anywhere.

Reaction Score
There is no way that South Carolina will match the domination displayed by us (Uconn) over the last
several decades. However, the game has changed since 1995. SC will win a couple of Natties. Uconn will win a couple also. Watch out for Ayanna Patterson and Ice Brady. They will lead Uconn to at least 2 natties.

Reaction Score
Not only that, but Oregon was the best team the year that Covid interrupted college athletics
Well, one computer program agreed with you.

Record and strength of schedule said different.

Both Rankings said different.

RPI said different.

Last known committee seeding said different.

Oh well, too bad it couldn’t be decided on the hardwood floor - where it matters.

Reaction Score
Based on what?? Last I check SC was the more dominant team that season and was #1 for longer that season.

Reaction Score
That’s one way to look at it. Here’s another. But for UConn’s only loss in OT in the national semifinal to MS St in 2017, maybe, just maybe, SC doesn’t win their first that year, and maybe, just maybe, without that first championship, Boston decides on UConn over SC, rather than the reverse….:rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure the Gamecocks would have run the Huskies out the building. Just my view on it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom