Can South Carolina be the next UCONN in Women's college basketball? Dawn Staley weighs in | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can South Carolina be the next UCONN in Women's college basketball? Dawn Staley weighs in

Reaction Score
What I find interesting is, why nobody talks about Stanford being the "Next" UConn? They were the defending champs being led by the winningest Coach in WBB history, Tara Vanderveer. Stanford recruits well and develops their players. Why they are not in the conversation?

Reaction Score
What I find interesting is, why nobody talks about Stanford being the "Next" UConn? They were the defending champs being led by the winningest Coach in WBB history, Tara Vanderveer. Stanford recruits well and develops their players. Why they are not in the conversation?
Time is running short for Tara to entrench that “dynasty.” ( butt yeah she has been great). Dawn SHOULD have more years left in coaching, thus more chances.

What Tara has accomplishments within the constraints of Stanford’s academic demands is astounding.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Time is running short for Tara to entrench that “dynasty.” ( butt yeah she has been great). Dawn SHOULD have more years left in coaching, thus more chances.

What Tara has accomplishments within the constraints of Stanford’s academic demands is astounding.
I would hardly call Stanford’s academic demands “constraining.” A significant portion of the very best recruits in WBB are also outstanding students, and a Stanford degree carries enormous weight with such recruits. Geno, who is always after the very top talent in the nation, has lost more recruits to Stanford than any other school, including: Brink, Jones, 2/3 Samuelson sisters and countless others.

Well-healed Stanford alumni endow 15 WBB scholarships, along with the salaries for Tara and all her coaches. Stanford has a significant advantage over just about every other D1 program in the nation. They fill all 15 scholarships with incredibly talented recruits, who seldom if ever transfer, due in part to the prestige of a Stanford sheepskin,

Reaction Score
Actually, there are NO dynasties in WBB. A powerful group or family must maintain its position for more than just the life of one person.

Takes a NC under two or more different coaches to make a dynasty. Geno and Pat have been / were the heads of great kingdoms. Neither school is a dynasty - yet.

The "succession" theme refers to the players, not the coaches. Winning titles over a long period, say 20 years means that several generations of players succeeded to putting the team at the top of their sport.

No matter what you think Wooden, Pat and Geno oversaw dynasties.

Reaction Score
a Stanford degree carries enormous weight with such recruits.
No kidding. Sure there are a lot of great programs but when you add in the reputation/academic side Stanford offers, thats extremely appealing to recruits. Definitely gives them a leg in recruiting when they can combine the academic side of what they offer on top of being a top 5 program. I don't think overall Stanfords admission criteria is a big issue for Tara, most (generally speaking) don't have issues working hard or making the grades.

Now football recruiting on the other hand, is a much different ball game in terms of recruiting and finding top athletes to meet admission requirements. Harsh reality is many (not all) only really care about playing football and getting to the NFL with minimal effort or desire to do much in school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Based on what?? Last I check SC was the more dominant team that season and was #1 for longer that season.

I don't much care either way but my pick was Oregon to win the title based on the 3 senior AA's. SCar was less experienced and that is a bad way to go into the FF.

Reaction Score

Stanford doesn't play in prime time and plays on a closed network. SCar plays on an ESPN channel. That's the cynical me.

Reaction Score
Tara went a generation in getting her 3rd title despite going to numerous Final Fours in that span of time. She could reel 4 or 5 titles in a row but I understand why they aren't in the conversation.

Reaction Score
Because the conversation is a “nothing burger”. Title should’ve been, “will there ever be another dynasty in WCBB. Then the debate on possibilities could start.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
there is no 'conversation.'
con·ver·sa·tion
[ˌkänvərˈsāSH(ə)n]
NOUN

a talk, especially an informal one, between two or more people, in which news and ideas are exchanged:

just because some nut hears voices in their head, and it is the offseason that looks for something, anything, to publish to try and earn a living, does not mean a conversation is taking place.
there u have it. voices in the head do not equal a conversation, unless u are a loon.

Reaction Score
When Geno goes no one will ever accomplish that again in WBB.

Frankly if I had a basketball and academically inclined daughter (I have no children) who had the opportunity I would urge her to play at Stanford. There isn't anything wrong with the academic reputation of other schools but Stanford is a no brainer for the combination of academics and basketball.

Reaction Score
When Geno goes no one will ever accomplish that again in WBB.

Frankly if I had a basketball and academically inclined daughter (I have no children) who had the opportunity I would urge her to play at Stanford. There isn't anything wrong with the academic reputation of other schools but Stanford is a no brainer for the combination of academics and basketball.
If I had an athletically and academically inclined child ( any scholarship sport) I would encourage him/her to play at Stanford.

Reaction Score
The same Gamecock team that lost to the Huskies by 11 six weeks earlier, with Coates in the lineup? I guess we’ll never know.

Those Huskies apparently weren't very good under the big lights losing to USC light in the FF. .

Reaction Score
I would hardly call Stanford’s academic demands “constraining.” A significant portion of the very best recruits in WBB are also outstanding students, and a Stanford degree carries enormous weight with such recruits. Geno, who is always after the very top talent in the nation, has lost more recruits to Stanford than any other school, including: Brink, Jones, 2/3 Samuelson sisters and countless others.

Well-healed Stanford alumni endow 15 WBB scholarships, along with the salaries for Tara and all her coaches. Stanford has a significant advantage over just about every other D1 program in the nation. They fill all 15 scholarships with incredibly talented recruits, who seldom if ever transfer, due in part to the prestige of a Stanford sheepskin,

Love the region, love the reputation, they have great academics and Athletics going on there. But well heeled, finishing school crowd isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea.

I'd love for my kid to go there. For free anyway.

Reaction Score
I think the next dynasty talk is directly related to Geno and Tara cycling out of the sport.

I doubt anyone will be as dominant for as long as Geno, but could a team step in the vacuum and be the clear dominant power? Yeah I think that could happen.

Wouldn't predict it but it's on the table.

I think it's still most likely that a small group continues to dominate as we've seen since the four peat.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think the next dynasty talk is directly related to Geno and Tara cycling out of the sport.

I doubt anyone will be as dominant for as long as Geno, but could a team step in the vacuum and be the clear dominant power? Yeah I think that could happen.

Wouldn't predict it but it's on the table.

I think it's still most likely that a small group continues to dominate as we've seen since the four peat.
That's all fair enough. W/ Mulkey just getting started at LSU and Vic soon joining the SEC again w/ Texas, dominating the conference is going to become a whole lot more interesting for Dawn in the coming years, let alone dominating all of wcbb. Although Vic might be cycling out before too long as well. And then there are those eternally hopeful Tennessee fans that think they are on the verge of returning to their glory years...every off season.

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score
I gotta lean towards the Cocks on this one. They do have a banner to prove it.

Reaction Score
But for Covid and a missed put back layup in the final four this might be a more full blown conversation.

As it is, win this year and maybe it's a discussion.
LOLOLOLLLL!!

Whata coulda shoulda!

I'm sorry, but if anyone thinks that SC would've beaten Oregon in 2020, I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom