Can someone explain this "Boxout" drill? | The Boneyard

Can someone explain this "Boxout" drill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There are lots of rebounding drills, but this one seems to have mythical status so I'm really curious to know how it works. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Unless I am mistaken:

Defensive rebounder needs to get three rebounds in a row.
Offensive player (different person each time), starts outside the paint and fights you for the rebound. Person running the drill throws the ball toward the rim... You really need to meet the offensive player far out as the rebound could go in almost any direction. Anything goes as far as fighting for the board (I.e. a stronger player could just toss you aside and get the rebound)... If you do three in a row, it's not bad... If you fail a few times, then you start getting more tired and it becomes more difficult.

Reaction Score
http://www.greenwichtime.com/sports...right-proves-he-s-willing-to-work-2220534.php

"Boatright, listed at 6-foot, 160 pounds, which may be generous, was stuck in a box-out drill that requires the player with inside position to grab three consecutive rebounds before returning to the back of the line. In between reps, Boatright gripped the bottom of his shorts -- bent over in exhaustion -- as he struggled to keep the big guys off the boards and corral three in a row."

"You can't let Shabazz or anybody think they have (the starting job)," he said. "You have to make them work for it. I didn't come out here and leave my family just to lie down. Even if I don't get it, I'm going to work hard to get in. I'm not going to sit on the bench."

Bazz is being pushed and will be better for it. Boatright is a challenging player to coach but the kid is what the best coaches dream of having as players. Calhoun is a HF'er for a reason and the SN & RB combo may be lethal beyond belief. The chemistry aspect of their relationship is fascinating. Just my humble opinion for what its worth.

Reaction Score
I believe it goes like this- you are trying to the basket and the other player beats on you like a baby seal.

Reaction Score
There are lots of rebounding drills, but this one seems to have mythical status so I'm really curious to know how it works. Thanks.

If it's anything like what we used to do, and I'm guessing it is, it goes kinda like this:

3 on 3 with the defensive guys inside the offensive guys, defense has to act as if they are gurading the guy and then JC or one of the coaches throws up a jumper which then becomes a backyard brawl. The defensive guys either need to get the rebound or as we used to do it, keep them away from the ball and the ball HAS to hit the floor first therefore proving the prowess of your boxout. In other words keep pushing your guy away from the hoop moving your feet, using your butt and hands to keep him from going around you or over you....hard work but in the end you become a much better rebounder. Then you still need to get the ball before the others.......very difficult if not everyone is an expert at boxing out. You can be real good and have someone who just keeps missing his man and you repeat, repeat, repeat etc etc.......3X in a row 3 guys boxing out well enough to have the ball hit the floor? Real fun.......pretty glad I'm over 50 now!! LOL

Reaction Score
If it's anything like what we used to do, and I'm guessing it is, it goes kinda like this:

3 on 3 with the defensive guys inside the offensive guys, defense has to act as if they are gurading the guy and ten JC or one of the coeaches throws up a jumper which then becomes a backyard brawl. The defensive guys either need to get the rebound or as we used to do it, keep them away from the ball and the ball HAS to hit the floor first therefore proving the prowess of your boxout. Then you still need to get the ball beofre the others.......very difficult if not everyone is an expert at boxing out. You can be real good and have someone who just keeps missing his man and you repeat, repeat, repeat etc etc.......3X in a row 3 guys boxing out well enough to have the ball hit the floor? Real fun.......pretty gald I'm over 50 now!! LOL
Great job explaining...;)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Boatright is a challenging player to coach The chemistry aspect of their relationship is fascinating.

What do you base this on?

I got a couple of whiffs of this at first night and then there are a hint in the articles. Everyone else seems to be in sync.

Reaction Score
What do you base this on?

I got a couple of whiffs of this at first night and then there are a hint in the articles. Everyone else seems to be in sync.
http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_mens_basketball/2011/01/uconnbound-guard-ryan-boatrigh.html

Boatright is just a strong willed player with attitude. A very tough kid with high expectations for himself individually. He has the potential to be a team leader and will have to adjust to taking any kind of secondary role. The inference could be that this represents the qualities of a selfish player. From my perspective these intangible qualities of work ethic, a street fighter mentality and an abundance of confidence is what makes some the best players in the world. It will be the coaches and team captains who will have the responsibility of incorporating the team concept into the daily routine. Walker was remarkable at it last year. Boatright is going to benefit the most from Kemba Walker being around the team. I have no doubts that Derrick Rose who I respect will also be a sounding board for Ryan Boatright. Just my opinion for what its worth.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the drill in uconn practice is a simple one but brutal. i think its one of the later things they do in practice so the kids are beat up right before sprints time...

its one on one. you need to get 3 in a row to go back in the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom