Can Men Also Be Taught To Play This Game? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can Men Also Be Taught To Play This Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Watch any WCBB team outside the top 5, and you'll see a LOT of woeful basketball from a fundamental perspective.

Here's a great quasi-iverson-esque rant from Bobbie Kelsey Wisconsin Womens Basketball coach (can't embed this one sorry):

http://up.anv.bz/latest/anvload.htm...J9fSwiYW5hbHl0aWNzIjp7InBkYiI6MzMzMDY1Mzd9fX0

Money Quote:

"Women’s basketball can you hear me, get your butt in the gym. You got people throwing the ball over the basket, nobody wants to watch that. I don’t. I enjoy watching good solid basketball that people make their shots."

Whether I’m coaching against them or my team’s doing it. Women’s basketball players need to get their butt in the gym and get shots up because we can’t dunk.”

Britney Griner graduated. I don’t see nobody else dunking out here. Candace Parker, she’s gone a long time ago. That’s where our game needs to grow. We need to be shooting the ball — and making it — and then people will come watch us play.”

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Video has been posted around here already... I've been showing anyone that wants to watch

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
By reputation, anyway, the older you are, the more Jewish you are, and the closer to NY/Philly you live, the more likely it is you play an uncompromising, below-the-rim team game of BB. Billy Crystal and 4 of his buddies ought to kick butt.

Amen...still try, wife also.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I had this explained to me along time ago. Men's basketball not better or worse than women's basketball just different. The consumer has got to understand this in the same way that you don't buy the same apples to snack on that you would use to bake a pie. Same applies to UCONN WCBB it is a different product than the rest of WCBB. After you watch UCONN play and then you are forced to watch say Alabama you are watching two completely different products.
Good+Will+Hunting.png

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You are mostly correct. However, the smaller ball is bouncier and harder to control. In the women's game what are contested layups are dunks in the men's game. Nothing of what you said explains why men shoot worse from the perimeter and have virtually no mid-range game. Men are more culturally attuned to a social pecking order. However it seems to me real leadership in the men's game is lacking.

Yeah, this is false; you are seeing what you want to see, based on some odd social observational bias I suppose. Men are better shooters from the field than women.

Here's a quick analysis of the Top 50 statistically ranked NCAA D1 teams Men vs Women:

upload_2016-2-1_12-7-42.png

So the Men are better 3pt shooters, better from the field in general, and slightly worse at the line. The Men have more assists per game, which means, to refute the OP, they are perhaps more unselfish? The Men have more TOs per game, but that is likely do to far greater athleticism and effectiveness on defense. This is shown by a correspondingly higher steal/game for the Men.

Now if you took a look at the percentages for every NCAA D1 team for each gender, I think the gap would probably widen. The parity in the Women's game is far, far less than in the Men's game. So that disparity at the tails would likely show up in the stats.

Oh, and the mid range shot has been proven to be overrated statistically (and efficiency wise). In fact, teams really should only try to shoot high percentage 2pt field goals or 3pters. The farther you move from the basket, without making up for it with the extra point from a 3pter, the worse a shot it is.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Video has been posted around here already... I've been showing anyone that wants to watch

Thanks Choc, I hadn't been checking. That was an epic rant of, which I enjoyed every second.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I think you're on to something there, Miami. It just blows my mind watching a three on one fast break opportunity (with a trailing 4th player, no less), but the guard keeps the ball, misses the shot, and gets called for the charge. Geno would bench that player; that's just my guess.

He hasn't so far this year...

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Everyone outside UConn and South Carolina plays terrible basketball. The viewer numbers would suggest the general public thinks men play basketball better than women in general. Or else they would watch women play. You enjoy your sport, we'll enjoy ours, but threads like this are ridiculous.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Everyone outside UConn and South Carolina plays terrible basketball. The viewer numbers would suggest the general public thinks men play basketball better than women in general. Or else they would watch women play. You enjoy your sport, we'll enjoy ours, but threads like this are ridiculous.
Your avatar proves why there is no "I" in "ESPN". :cool:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Ha, you very clearly just looked at the rankings, saw South Carolina was undefeated, and disparaged everyone else but the two undefeated teams as terrible. I was ready to point out that Baylor, MD, Notre Dame, and Ohio State are all top teams that are more offensively efficient and (in my opinion) more attractive to watch. But then I saw you're a regular on the men's side and not actually here to discuss women's basketball.

"You enjoy your sport, we'll enjoy ours," indeed.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ha, you very clearly just looked at the rankings, saw South Carolina was undefeated, and disparaged everyone else but the two undefeated teams as terrible. I was ready to point out that Baylor, MD, Notre Dame, and Ohio State are all top teams that are more offensively efficient and (in my opinion) more attractive to watch. But then I saw you're a regular on the men's side and not actually here to discuss women's basketball.

"You enjoy your sport, we'll enjoy ours," indeed.

OK, he was definitely a little short on that one. But you have to admit, that year in year out, outside the Top 10, the games can get ugly.

And I'm someone who used to watch a fair amount of Women's ball. Especially during the Tennessee/UCONN rivalry. I don't watch as much now though, only the big UCONN games. And late NCAA games.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
OK, he was definitely a little short on that one. But you have to admit, that year in year out, outside the Top 10, the games can get ugly.

And I'm someone who used to watch a fair amount of Women's ball. Especially during the Tennessee/UCONN rivalry. I don't watch as much now though, only the big UCONN games. And late NCAA games.

There are a lot of ugly games (even inside the top 10), no doubt about it. But South Carolina plays in their fair share of them. That's what struck me as odd - especially coming from (presumably) a UConn fan. Usually in these parts you would see "everyone is terrible except UConn" or maybe "everyone is terrible except UConn and ND" but never "everyone is terrible except for UConn and SC".

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I believe outside of chap and HFD, this is the dumbest thing I've ever read on the BY.

Thanks for making me stupid.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I am currently watching the number three-ranked men's college basketball team play. They are ahead by about 30 at the moment. But as I watch and compare them with the top women's team, some things become clear.
1) Selfish play won't get you benched.
2) Since when is it a violation to pass the ball to another player if he has a better shot than you do?
3) A bad shot is any shot or pass that doesn't go in the basket.
4) Cutting off the baseline is considered optional. If you get around to it, fine. Otherwise, don't think bad thoughts about yourself because you stood and watched.
5) Stopping the ball on defense against a drive? See item #4 above.
6) If your team mate has the ball, just stand there; you won't get a touch anyway, so why bother?
7) The definition of a successful team is one that just beat a worse team.
Men's Game= Dunking, NBA(leave early), tattoos

Reaction Score
Your avatar would leave many to believe you are not yet out of the 5th grade. Not sure how many will buy your opinion of what is ridiculous. I do find the OP topic redundant but that is his or her right. Just as it is yours to have a childish moniker. Best poster ??? Your ego is bigger than your avatar ;).

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
So the tattoo on Stef's arm commemorates the date of her last college game, the one that capped off the 40-0 season? Kinda cool. I'm guessing the BY was already on top of this, but I wasn't aware of it.

Reaction Score
I am currently watching the number three-ranked men's college basketball team play. They are ahead by about 30 at the moment. But as I watch and compare them with the top women's team, some things become clear.
1) Selfish play won't get you benched.
2) Since when is it a violation to pass the ball to another player if he has a better shot than you do?
3) A bad shot is any shot or pass that doesn't go in the basket.
4) Cutting off the baseline is considered optional. If you get around to it, fine. Otherwise, don't think bad thoughts about yourself because you stood and watched.
5) Stopping the ball on defense against a drive? See item #4 above.
6) If your team mate has the ball, just stand there; you won't get a touch anyway, so why bother?
7) The definition of a successful team is one that just beat a worse team.
Note: Watch D ham on the mens' team

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Men's Game= Dunking, NBA(leave early), tattoos

I guess this is America and everyone is entitled to an opinion.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Gee, I didn't expect some of these responses, but I probably should have. Look, I am semi-addicted to UConn WBB. I admit it. I am not ashamed at all. But as I watched a well-regarded Iowa men's team trounce a not-so-good Northwestern team, I saw quite a few plays by both teams that I am (fairly) sure Geno would not tolerate.

That notion, or the OP itself has been, to put it charitably, pooh-poohed by some. If the core thought is a retread, I beg your pardon.

But what some others have said, however is that social and athletic differences make it (more or less) unreasonable to expect male BB players to comport themselves (I couldn't resist) the way the best women's teams do. So, those posters might go so far as to say, "No, men cannot be taught BB the way women can." That was the original question.

After watching UConn for about 5 years, my newbie BBIQ tells me that they know something that others don't, including many of their male counterparts. Are there exceptions? Surely. I was a fan of UCLA in the 50's and 60's, because they too played like Geno has UConn playing right now. No wonder Geno gets compared to John Wooden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom