Can Lou Senechal Play? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Can Lou Senechal Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched her play all year firsthand. She was very good for the MAAC (Fairfield dominated the MAAC) but I don't see her as anything more than a garbage time player in Storrs. She'll be a great practice player though and perhaps she'll get more time on the court but only time will tell.
Would you say she was the best player in the MAAC? If she is a good practice player, practicing with the UConn team, Geno will reward her with PT. I believe he has said PT is earned in practice. He has also said Lou2 is what they thought she was. They signed her because she fits a need and has a skill set they like. Doesn’t sound like a “garbage time player”

Reaction Score
Definite upgrade from the inconsistent CW.
how do you know that?..........as of now we have zero idea how LLS will perform at UConn........hopefully she will end up having a more accurate three point shot than CW but I really doubt she can get her own shot, rebound or play defense on CW's level..........as a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure early in the season there will be a lot of comments wishing CW was still around.........

Reaction Score
I watched her play all year firsthand. She was very good for the MAAC (Fairfield dominated the MAAC) but I don't see her as anything more than a garbage time player in Storrs. She'll be a great practice player though and perhaps she'll get more time on the court but only time will tell.
Wow, that is shocking. Geno and her former coach are both high on her.

Reaction Score
how do you know that?..........as of now we have zero idea how LLS will perform at UConn........hopefully she will end up having a more accurate three point shot than CW but I really doubt she can get her own shot, rebound or play defense on CW's level..........as a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure early in the season there will be a lot of comments wishing CW was still around.........
Not from me. If we all are being honest, both CW and Ono had disappointing careers at UConn. Most UConn fans have high expectation.

Reaction Score
Definite upgrade from the inconsistent CW.
Incredulous Ll Cool J GIF

Reaction Score
I can not wait! I love seeing a player coming off those screens. Lou has solid footwork and solid shooting form.

Reaction Score
Would you say she was the best player in the MAAC? If she is a good practice player, practicing with the UConn team, Geno will reward her with PT. I believe he has said PT is earned in practice. He has also said Lou2 is what they thought she was. They signed her because she fits a need and has a skill set they like. Doesn’t sound like a “garbage time player”
I agree. Geno doesn't take "garbage time players", otherwise he would have picked up a couple more from the portal. There were "garbage time players" to be had. I believe Geno saw something different in Lou.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No mix tape of CW would show those types of moves. CW was a good player who had trouble at times even making lay-ups. She also was a guaranteed no show in FF games.
Is it possible on the Boneyard to say something nice about one player without taking a cheap shot at another?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Lou isn’t just a good MAAC player, she’s the best MAAC player, Rookie of the Year in her freshman year and finishing 1st team All-MAAC the other three years, POY in her senior year. Joe Frager said he stole her out of Europe and that if she’d grown up playing AAU in the States she’d have gone to a higher level program.

No offense to you, but I don’t “know” you or how you evaluate players so I trust the opinion of the Texas assistant more than yours. No disrespect intended.

[Morgan] Valley also talked to another close friend, April Phillips, the Texas assistant who has since been named head coach at San Jose State.
“She was like, ‘Morgan, that kid can go. If she didn’t get knocked in the mouth by Lauren Ebo, who knows how that game would have turned out?’ ” Valley said. “I thought that was pretty high praise. And I actually had random people in (the MAAC) texting me, like, ‘This kid can play. This kid is great.’ I had numerous people, unsolicited, texting me.

Reaction Score
Not from me. If we all are being honest, both CW and Ono had disappointing careers at UConn. Most UConn fans have high expectation.
Sadly, neither played up to their abilities on a consistent basis but both played well enough to help make UConn a really competitive team against all but South Carolina........

Reaction Score
I guess she is not pass first.
I know you are having fun with this, but---Caroline got some not favorable postings here because she looked to score.She is one of my top 10 Uconn payers. Yet during that period, Geno--wanted 6 more like her. Yes, he wants all to play within his system.
However, nearly every Uconn kid we called exceptional--looked to score, and often to score first.
Uconn until recently lacked aggressive determined to shoot players. Arizona's shoot first in year or so ago, was a big factor in our loss.
This is ME, not GENO, but I believe he saw all of this and still likes what he sees.

Reaction Score
Sadly, neither played up to their abilities on a consistent basis but both played well enough to help make UConn a really competitive team against all but South Carolina........
Charlie, I agree, both ONO and CW were both overhyped as they reported aboard the Uconn express. CW is exactly as her physical and native talent said she'd be the same goes to ONO. The lesson to be learned here, and you've been on the BY forever, so you know. What they are as freshmen they usually are as senior. Look at DT, Maya, Stewie, Montgomery, and 300 others--experience made them better but their native talent remained. They DID their very best to get UConn to the NCAA's 2 years in a row. That is exceptional success in most programs.
Humans cannot escape far from their native talent, physical abilities. I wanted to be Couzy, all I could do was bring him water.

Reaction Score
Lou isn’t just a good MAAC player, she’s the best MAAC player, Rookie of the Year in her freshman year and finishing 1st team All-MAAC the other three years, POY in her senior year. Joe Frager said he stole her out of Europe and that if she’d grown up playing AAU in the States she’d have gone to a higher level program.

No offense to you, but I don’t “know” you or how you evaluate players so I trust the opinion of the Texas assistant more than yours. No disrespect intended.

[Morgan] Valley also talked to another close friend, April Phillips, the Texas assistant who has since been named head coach at San Jose State.
“She was like, ‘Morgan, that kid can go. If she didn’t get knocked in the mouth by Lauren Ebo, who knows how that game would have turned out?’ ” Valley said. “I thought that was pretty high praise. And I actually had random people in (the MAAC) texting me, like, ‘This kid can play. This kid is great.’ I had numerous people, unsolicited, texting me.

Thanks HuskyNan! I appreciate your returning this discussion to a purely positive viewpoint.

Just like the old Dragnet line, "Just the facts ma'am."

I am happy that Lou is now a Husky, and she only visited UCONN on her transfer portal journey!

Reaction Score
One of the things I like is her ability to go one on one. There were times in the past two years where it seemed like our players couldn't create their own shot. Good points have been made that primarily she has been going against less athletic, physical defenders. But still. With her size she seems like she will be able to get her shot off. I could see it being hard to get minutes behind Nika, Azzi, Paige and Caroline but I think she fits very well regarding team needs.

Reaction Score
It sickens me when a player like CW, who obviously gave it her all, to get disparaged so much. She led us in scoring last year didn't she? She won a national award for a shooting guard didn't she? She was maybe our best defender. What is it about her that deserves the disparagement, after she has left even. My heart goes out to her. CW, don't pay attention to this crap!

Reaction Score
Lou's games against Texas and Indiana are a small sample size but they clearly are a very positive indicator. Both Texas and Indiana are top teams and they were probably trying to shut Lou down in order to win those games and what does Lou do? She has solid games anyway. She may be shoot first but on her team she needed to be shoot first. And she has done the work needed to be a successful catch and shoot player. I would contend her skill set makes her more than a catch and shoot player. Look at the range of scoring plays and a lot of them repeat. She has a range of scoring tactics and she has developed her game for success.

Reaction Score
Is it possible on the Boneyard to say something nice about one player without taking a cheap shot at another?
I think CW would be the first to admit that her inconsistent play was something she was disappointed in. Geno stated that the entire year was like a roller coaster of ups and downs. Stating where those downs were is hardly cheap.

Reaction Score
I think some of us have unrealistic expectations of what the players are capable of regardless of who they are or where they are from. Maybe it's because we become enamored by high light reels that we see during recruiting (with little or no context as to the level of competition) or because they have a game or two where everything goes perfectly. Then, when they don't produce like "we" think they should every game out, it seems like some take it personally.

These kids are who they are and wishing and hoping doesn't change that. Yes, they can improve some with hard work and practice but the package of talent and the physical, and mental abilities they possess is what it is. It's ok to make observations on what a particular player brings (or does not bring) to the table, but to keep harping on their shortcomings is ultimately an exercise in futility and isn't helpful to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom