Can Lou Senechal Play? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can Lou Senechal Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How can you tell how consistent someone is from a mixtape? I can easily create a tape of Christyn Williams in which there are no mistakes and no misses.
Please do! I think we'd all love to be reminded of Christyn's best moments.

Reaction Score
She is very talented and has a great shot. Just remember that, at the least, the defenders in our out of conference schedule and in the middle to deeper portion of the Big Dance will be taller, faster, and more physical than what you are looking at in this highlight reel. I also think that our offense with so many permutations will actually benefit her very much because it creates open shots and player advantages to drive.

Reaction Score
She did okay against Indiana and Texas, who play tougher D than anyone in MAAC. She's gonna have to adjust to more challenging conditions -- but that's why she came to us in the first place -- and those two games suggest she can do it.

Against Texas, she scored 17 on 5/10 shooting and had 5 rebounds. Against Indiana, she scored 15 on 7/16 shooting and got 3 rebounds. I think this was also the game she had to sit out part of because of a blow to the face. She scored 9 pts in the first half before the injury, and then came back in the 4th quarter and scored another 6.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd like to add that her A/TO aerage should be much better at UConn where her passes will go to people who can put it in the basket! Also as said by others she will not be the focus of the offense so she will not generally get doubled and tripled like she got last year.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Fairfield listed Lou at 6'1". I haven't seen a lot of pics of Lou and Paige next to one another, so it's hard to judge. She's not any smaller than Paige at least.
new_lou.jpg

Reaction Score
I saw some Paige in her as well. Mostly from a standpoint of quick decisions reading the defense, and the ability with a variety of moves to get just enough separation to consistently get her shot off with a defender close by. In addition to the skills you mentioned the step-back and fade aways were impressive as well. The rest of her abilities may be nothing special by Uconn standards, but it is clear she is both shooter and scorer.

She will face much better opponents and defenders this year, but on the other hand she will not be the focus of the defenses. You can't leave or cheat off of Paige or Azzi to help on Lou, so she should get quite a few open looks, and when creating your own shot is necessary she can do that too, but will probably be expected to do that less often than at Fairfield due to Uconn having many other good offensive options.
I’ve watched videos of Lou on YouTube, and this one is the best. Thanks, TeamFirst!, for posting it.

As someone else mentioned, Fairfield did play good teams last season, including Texas. The full game used to be online. Lou did great against the Texas defense, despite being the main scoring threat for her team. She made some really difficult shots. And oldhuskie made a good point. On UConn, Lou won’t be double teamed or the main concern of the defense. We’ll have to wait until the fall, but with her athleticism, ball handing, and shooting ability, combined with the opposing defense’s obsession with Paige and Azzi, Lou could play a big role this season. I don’t think she’ll be a starter, but I don’t think she won’t.

Vive la République, vive la France.

Reaction Score
She is very talented and has a great shot. Just remember that, at the least, the defenders in our out of conference schedule and in the middle to deeper portion of the Big Dance will be taller, faster, and more physical than what you are looking at in this highlight reel. I also think that our offense with so many permutations will actually benefit her very much because it creates open shots and player advantages to drive.
Also, she is healthy at the moment. One of only 5 ( per coach ) who are fully so. ( Amira is 50-50, he says..... So maybe 5.5 players are fully healthy). My point is; Lou will get a lot of attention and plenty of opportunity to " show her talent." If she is as advertised ( she is, per coach ), she may put pressure on others who are already on the team. This is a good thing. UCONN may have landed another jewel.

Reaction Score
How can you tell how consistent someone is from a mixtape? I can easily create a tape of Christyn Williams in which there are no mistakes and no misses.
No mix tape of CW would show those types of moves. CW was a good player who had trouble at times even making lay-ups. She also was a guaranteed no show in FF games.

Reaction Score
Also, she is healthy at the moment. One of only 5 ( per coach ) who are fully so. ( Amira is 50-50, he says..... So maybe 5.5 players are fully healthy). My point is; Lou will get a lot of attention and plenty of opportunity to " show her talent." If she is as advertised ( she is, per coach ), she may put pressure on others who are already on the team. This is a good thing. UCONN may have landed another jewel.
That would be great. You can learn defense and play it well without great skills but not true for offense. If she doesn't play good defense she doesn't play. End of story. She is a third "must guard" perimeter shooter along with Paige and Azzi. You can probably add Dorka to that mix as well. Caroline is a threat too but I like her better as a slasher and post up player. I hope she is fully recovered because she is a great weapon.

Reaction Score
My contention is that we have 3 players who are potentially 40% 3 point shooters in volume. That is unusual and very difficult for even a top defensive team to defend. We can also rebound and defend. That is a recipe for NC potential. We just need to get the the FF. On the right night, this team can win it all.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately no one makes defensive highlight films. I seem to recall something Geno said
recently that suggests she may be a work in progress on the defensive end. If so, her minutes
may be limited against good opponents.

Reaction Score
My contention is that we have 3 players who are potentially 40% 3 point shooters in volume. That is unusual and very difficult for even a top defensive team to defend. We can also rebound and defend. That is a recipe for NC potential. We just need to get the the FF. On the right night, this team can win it all.
Azzi, Paige, Caroline and Lou- that ‘s 4 players actually- all capable possibly of hitting 40% of 3 point shots.

Reaction Score
You're singing my tune! Everything about our chances could be different -- even stunningly so -- if Paige Azzi and Caroline are healthy. All the other elements of the team will feel much less pressure if those three are on.

To indulge in a cross sports analogy, in Tom Brady's last year in NE, the defense was superb, even doing most of the scoring in some games. But because the offense sputtered, even the best defense would falter. They just got exhausted repeatedly stopping an opponent and after a 3-and-out being right back on the field.

Now picture our opponents, who will struggle to stop Paige Azzi Caroline, and then the pressure on their offense even to keep close will be immense.

Reaction Score
She took 16.6 shots each game. And just sent out 1.1 ast. And Lou is definitely a sharp scorer.
Keep in mind what team she was on... She was clearly the most talented so the object of their whole offense. She was the one they were all getting the ball to in order to have the best shot of scoring. Think Maddie Siegrist... it doesn't mean she can't pass and create for others. It means she was playing her role on that particular team.

Reaction Score
Who does her game remind you of? She looks like a Paige clone at least offensively. When Paige is not on the floor, Lou should be and I'm sure she will spell a lot of other players as well. Lou may be a major asset next year.

Unfortunately not nearly as quick as Paige.

Reaction Score
I watched her play all year firsthand. She was very good for the MAAC (Fairfield dominated the MAAC) but I don't see her as anything more than a garbage time player in Storrs. She'll be a great practice player though and perhaps she'll get more time on the court but only time will tell.

Reaction Score
Azzi, Paige, Caroline and Lou- that ‘s 4 players actually- all capable possibly of hitting 40% of 3 point shots.
I agree that it could be 4 including Caroline. I know she was around 29% last year, but she has won a few 3pt shooting contests, including one against Azzi, but Azzi was wearing a boot during that one. Still her reputation from beyond the arc was much better than her numbers last year, and in the middle of the year when she needed to be a bigtime scorer with three guards out, she needed to jack up every 3pt attempt she could.

I think she can take her time and be more selective this year with several other threats on the floor at the same time. Time will tell and 29% to 40% is a big jump, but I expected her to be around 40% last year. Maybe she won't be that high, but i believe the odds are very high that she will be much better than last year.

Reaction Score
The games against Indiana and Texas were good indicators. I think the skills she showed in this highight film would apply well with Uconn and against higher competition. Spin moves, step backs, pop ups, 3 point shooting over 40% for 3 years in a row in volume. I think some have possibly underestimated her. Notice she hits specific shots tactically in specific areas over and over. This is a girl who has worked on her game. She was the focus of their offense. She only needs to be a resource for ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom