Can KO Reshuffle the Deck? | The Boneyard

Can KO Reshuffle the Deck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Based on the fact that we don't shoot well from the outside and that is unlikely to change, is there some way to change our approach like just nearly eliminating the 3 from our offense? I know the zone will pack but why even take 20% shots?

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
he isn't playing with a full deck.
this team is just not any good.
we're 3-3 .500 team that can't even beat yale
YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE
and they Suck

Brimah is at least a year away from being good against good competition
Purvis seems like an above average talent but certainly Not elite
Nolan is nothing but a backup center
Facey may be a good player by his senior year
Cassell can possibly be a decent backup guard
Samuel is an average backup guard
Rock may b a useful rebounder by his junior year
Calhoun is scared to even take the court and when he does he flat out sucks

D-Ham is prolly wishing he went to UCLA
Boat well we all love Boat.

that sound like a good team to you?

Reaction Score
and they Suck

Can someone please stop this whack job? This isn't a fan, heck it's not even a bandwagon fan it's just a front-running piece of crap!

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
again, you don't agree with me so you call names?
do you see the irony in what you are saying?

all good.

Reaction Score
again, you don't agree with me so you call names?
do you see the irony in what you are saying?

all good.

Do you see the irony in all of your negative posts? You have no clue. Seriously I will be careful because no one over 10 would be this ignorant after 6 games or even at all. The doom and gloom of your posts are plain ridiculous and consistent. Are you a UConn fan or aren't you? If yes then act like one just a little.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
and they Suck

how much jameson do you put in your coffee?

Reaction Score
Based on the fact that we don't shoot well from the outside and that is unlikely to change, is there some way to change our approach like just nearly eliminating the 3 from our offense? I know the zone will pack but why even take 20% shots?
The one thing I'd liked to see more of is DHam the focal point of our offense.

Then I'd like to see Boat take command of this team and lead as a floor general. JC allowed Kemba to 'coach', Ollie allowed Bazz the same. I don't see Boat ready to be the Coach on the floor. It has nothing to do with being early in the season because he's a senior. The path to the NBA point guard is leadership and command of a collegiate game.

I also want them to abandon the 3 or make it the last option. We are a two point team right now, however we have not defended the opponents 3s that well. Its 2 for 3, which doesn't help. Damn I'm confused.

Lastly I don't know how fragile this team (i.e. players) is but I would like to see Ollie pull (or do the JC yank) a player not executing. Send a message!

Sadly it seems we are at a point where Ollie just needs to experiment until he finds something. I think even he doesn't know what he has.

Reaction Score
Where's this legendary freescooter? Three consecutive losses must be good for something.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Well, the good news is we won't stay this bad. Ollie will improve this mess and I have to believe a healthy Purvis, Calhoun and even Boat will help matters.
But will we be a tourney team? Will I be sorry I'm travelling to NJ for the Puke game?

H

huskymagic

yes he can change the situation but requires drastic measures like the one I proposed. Brimah needs to touch the ball on offense at least once in the half court every possession. Hamilton needs to become a 2nd main option in motion like Lamb did freshman year. Boat then will have more room to operate and less pressure to be the man for this team. Last second games when the game is one possession our man defending the inbound should be Hamilton and everyone else defending. I get the feeling we need someone else in close games to make critical free throws other than Boatright could be Cassell or Hamilton. Last but not least need to see some hunger and desire to play and win out there. This is one of those intangibles that can;t be measured,but you know it when you see it, which is critical to success in close games against good competition.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
yes he can change the situation but requires drastic measures like the one I proposed. Brimah needs to touch the ball on offense at least once in the half court every possession. Hamilton needs to become a 2nd main option in motion like Lamb did freshman year. Boat then will have more room to operate and less pressure to be the man for this team. Last second games when the game is one possession our man defending the inbound should be Hamilton and everyone else defending. I get the feeling we need someone else in close games to make critical free throws other than Boatright could be Cassell or Hamilton. Last but not least need to see some hunger and desire to play and win out there. This is one of those intangibles that can;t be measured,but you know it when you see it, which is critical to success in close games against good competition.
Quite frankly, I don't know why you're wasting your time giving away all this great advice and insight here. You need to be in direct contact with our coaching staff, stat.

Actually, scratch that: You need to be on the staff. I'm not sure anyone else is capable of executing your strategic genius, let alone being inspired enough to think it up in the first place.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
WeAreUCONN said:
he isn't playing with a full deck. this team is just not any good. we're 3-3 .500 team that can't even beat yale YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE and they Suck Brimah is at least a year away from being good against good competition Purvis seems like an above average talent but certainly Not elite Nolan is nothing but a backup center Facey may be a good player by his senior year Cassell can possibly be a decent backup guard Samuel is an average backup guard Rock may b a useful rebounder by his junior year Calhoun is scared to even take the court and when he does he flat out sucks D-Ham is prolly wishing he went to UCLA Boat well we all love Boat. that sound like a good team to you?

Sweet meltdown dude.

I love this board. Endless entertainment. It's a f'in basketball game.

Reaction Score
the first poster is one of the dumbest most uneducated posters ive ever read a comment from. we lost on a buzzer beater to texas: they were without their pg we were without purvis and calhoun. thats a top 10 team if you werent aware. were 6 games in with an entirely new team. you are sad

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Abandon the three? Abandon the three? Abandon the three?
College BB is about the three.
It's not like with lost by 33 points.
Take first good OPEN three, in stride without thought. If you miss, you miss.
It's not like you have Moses Malone waiting under the hoop to be fed.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
and they Suck

It might be time for you to follow the women's basketball only, because these loses are cloudy your judgement before you post.

Reaction Score
The biggest thing is that we still don't know what we have with Purvis. He's probably somewhere in between a guy who was the No 12 recruit in the country on a fast track to the NBA and the limited 8 ppg role player he was at NC State.

If he becomes a consistent 12-14 ppg scorer, things fall into place. Then breaking down the defense is not all on boat - Hamilton can take advantage of a lot of openings as a third option and we'll be able to attack from a few different places. If he's NC State Purvis, then Daniel Hamilton has to be on the Rip Hamilton plan. I know we were NIT that year, but Rip was a totally different player at the end of the season - able to run around, read screens and score from anywhere (and there was no senior like Boat on that team). It takes time to learn how to do that well against college defenders, so for now things maybe are more simple for DHam then they will be later on.

We can also use Brimah more. He has a comfort level against second-tier teams on offense (spotting up from 15, jump hooks) that he doesn't yet against a physical team like Texas. Not that he'll be Okafor, but if he could translate some of that comfort level to better defenders and learn how to pass out of the post (he has a long way to go there), he'll at least give us another direction to go. Maybe Facey will get there too.

We need to get Boat and Purvis at 100 percent, figure out what we can get out of Omar if anything, and then try to just get incrementally better. All else fails, we can say screw it, have Boat can go full on Kemba gunslinger with Hamilton as Lamb and see if we can win with defense. Very Unlikely that's a winning formula, especially without a freshman Bazz, but at least folks will know their roles. Right now, Boat is kicking the ball out a lot to non scorers and either we miss or he has to circle back around and get the ball again.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The biggest thing is that we still don't know what we have with Purvis. He's probably somewhere in between a guy who was the No 12 recruit in the country on a fast track to the NBA and the limited 8 ppg role player he was at NC State.

If he becomes a consistent 12-14 ppg scorer, things fall into place. Then breaking down the defense is not all on boat - Hamilton can take advantage of a lot of openings as a third option and we'll be able to attack from a few different places. If he's NC State Purvis, then Daniel Hamilton has to be on the Rip Hamilton plan. I know we were NIT that year, but Rip was a totally different player at the end of the season - able to run around, read screens and score from anywhere (and there was no senior like Boat on that team). It takes time to learn how to do that well against college defenders, so for now things maybe are more simple for DHam then they will be later on.

We can also use Brimah more. He has a comfort level against second-tier teams on offense (spotting up from 15, jump hooks) that he doesn't yet against a physical team like Texas. Not that he'll be Okafor, but if he could translate some of that comfort level to better defenders and learn how to pass out of the post (he has a long way to go there), he'll at least give us another direction to go. Maybe Facey will get there too.

We need to get Boat and Purvis at 100 percent, figure out what we can get out of Omar if anything, and then try to just get incrementally better. All else fails, we can say screw it, have Boat can go full on Kemba gunslinger with Hamilton as Lamb and see if we can win with defense. Very Unlikely that's a winning formula, especially without a freshman Bazz, but at least folks will know their roles. Right now, Boat is kicking the ball out a lot to non scorers and either we miss or he has to circle back around and get the ball again.

Great, reasonable post!
I think Hamilton should shoot more. He passed up several open shots were a worse shot was taken later on. If Purvis hitts at least that mid-range epectation we will be much better. Still worry about who will spell Boat.

Reaction Score

So far, your suggestions seem to carry the most promise. Having Brimah frequently involved in the offense as a first or 2nd option should improve the ball movement only the players are also moving. In the last 2 losses, the ball was moving only around the perimeter. Brimah being a good passer, if he cannot throw up a shot from 5-10 feet, has the options lob it to cuts or curls in the middle or Ham, Boat or anybody else. The 3rd or 4th even 5th pass should find an open shot, if player movement is dynamic.

Another idea to beat the zone, is to post Ham at the the free throw line where he can do damage with a jump shot with or without a dribble, or a lob to Brimah or Facey or even a last-ditch kickout to the perimeter in the last 5-7 seconds.

Reaction Score
It seems like UConn should be using their big men with more high picks that will help get the guards open to get around them and hopefully drive to the basket. At least the big guys would be doing something on offense cause after the Yale game it seems like they don't want to rebound. Nolan would be perfect at setting picks.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
It seems like UConn should be using their big men with more high picks that will help get the guards open to get around them and hopefully drive to the basket. At least the big guys would be doing something on offense cause after the Yale game it seems like they don't want to rebound. Nolan would be perfect at setting picks.

The only thing I ever see Nolan do is Fall on the Court or Flop.
He's got that down to a science.
I guess he is learning something at Uconn.
Maybe he can learn how to rebound next.

maybe we can teach him how to dunk too, since he missed 1 last night and we lost by those 2 points he bumbled away.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Absolutely, tell him it's just like taking a charge.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Nolan has already proven himself to be highly proficient in setting picks and high screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom