Can KO Reshuffle the Deck? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Can KO Reshuffle the Deck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The team will be much better next year when three cancers leave.

I can't believe how often I've used the ignore function since Friday. The only thing you should have to say about Boat at this point is "thank you for the national championship" and "You must be exhausted from carrying this team on your back."

Jesus, honestly, that post is just clownish.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No matter how much he shuffles, there will still be three jokers in the deck. The team will be much better next year when three cancers leave. Bazz was a strong enough leader to keep people in line. KO is trying to do it from the coaching box this year. So far, it isn't working out.
Wow. Just wow.

In the strangest of ways, I'm seeing some upside in the Yale loss. Rats are crawling out from rocks all over. Great time to purge them.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The friggin audacity.

I am curious at how much more pissed I'd be if I knew who the other 2 cancers are.

Reaction Score
Girls, time to go change your tampons.

Who was Ollie talking about when he said some people need to stop playing for themselves and start playing for the team?

Reaction Score
Paesano said:
Girls, time to go change your tampons. Who was Ollie talking about when he said some people need to stop playing for themselves and start playing for the team?

Who do you think Ollie's talking about here?

He’s pretty much given everything he has to this program.

Reaction Score
Who do you think Ollie's talking about here?

He’s pretty much given everything he has to this program.

I'll answer your question after you answer mine. You are such a cute little b!tch....

Reaction Score
I think that is the first step. We need a second ball handler (not named Hamilton). Then with Hamilton out on the wing, either shooting or slashing, you now have the defense stretched. That will create space for the 4 & 5 to develop their game inside.

How does that work against a zone? We still only have one shooter who can reliably hit a three. How do the 4/5 get the ball and prevent double and triples? I believe that dham is the one guy we can count on to flash into the zone and draw the D. Unfortunately he is also our best 3 point shooter.

Reaction Score
Paesano said:
Girls, time to go change your tampons. Who was Ollie talking about when he said some people need to stop playing for themselves and start playing for the team?

Unless he was flashing back to 2012, he was probably talking about anybody but Boat. Maybe still upset at the PR 4, or disappointed that Facey/Nolan/Brimah didn't put the work in on the boards. Maybe he's been frustrated with Purvis, or Cassell's lazy habits from JuCo, or maybe guys have been sniping about playing time that aren't earning it when they've gotten it. There's a whole lot of possibilities, but Boat's team player chops have been established long ago. This year, he has rarely forced anything early in the shot clock, giving up some good looks to try to run offense and get other people involved to try to benefit the team. Late in games, he's not been trying to be a hero and has generally been kicking the ball out to Cassell and Hamilton on big possessions more than he's been shooting himself. The shot blocked by Texas was a great take, just unlucky.

And he's been battling on defense as usual, going hard after loose balls and rebounds, playing hurt, etc.

He has his flaws, but effort and being a team guy are not on the current list. I highly doubt Boat is who Ollie had in mind - not on a day he played hurt to try to help his team, and his FGA were under 10.

You're hearing what you want to hear.

H

huskymagic

Girls, time to go change your tampons.

Who was Ollie talking about when he said some people need to stop playing for themselves and start playing for the team?

he was hinting at Boatright in the press conference about selfishness, but guys will overreact that your trying to attack Boatright unfairly, etc. Ollie has given Boatright free reign to be the point guard and do everything guard, and it hasn't translated well on the court. Chemistry is a big issue with the team and it looks like there is some friction between Boat and some players on the team.

Reaction Score
he was hinting at Boatright in the press conference about selfishness, but guys will overreact that your trying to attack Boatright unfairly, etc. Ollie has given Boatright free reign to be the point guard and do everything guard, and it hasn't translated well on the court. Chemistry is a big issue with the team and it looks like there is some friction between Boat and some players on the team.

Boat played 35 minutes on a bad ankle and took nine shots and had six assists. There was nothing in his performance, or in the build up to the game during the week, that in any way indicates Boat was the target of his wrath. If anything, the opposite was true.

This was after the Yale game:

"Ryan's got to do a better job with the four turnovers," Kevin Ollie said. "Those were just careless turnovers. But I applaud his effort out there, because a lot of people were sitting on that bench hurt, and I know his ankle hurts. But he got out there and played. I've got to applaud that. My captain is there. We're going to go with him, he still stuck his nose in and got four rebounds."

This was before the Yale game:

“I can hardly take Ryan [Boatright] out of practice. ... He’s going to get out here and play, this is his last year. He’s pretty much given everything he has to this program. So Ryan is not going to sit out. I’m going to have to drag him out of a game.”

“He’s probably 85 percent. He’s never missed a practice, and that’s just amazing, with him going so hard and we’re asking him to do so much. But he knows his body and he does a great job with James and Travis Illian, getting his body ready. And that’s what a professional does.

“… We want him to let the game play him. If that’s getting 24 points, that’s 24 points. If that’s 12 assists one night, that’s 12 assists. He can’t play the game, he’s got to let the game play him and the game is going to dictate what you do as a basketball player.

We’ve been down to eight guys and pretty much played seven [against Texas]. With Ryan, that’s the numbers I have and he’s one of our best players and we’re going to ride him. Of course, you want him to get more help and we’re going to have to shoot better. Ryan understand that and he’s trying to make other guys better.

Reaction Score
To further add to the quote list. Here is Ollie's quote in question and the context it came from:

One thing I was really hanging out hat on was our rebounding and it just let us down. I've never seen it before in my life: One offensive rebound in a game, just never seen that. I’ve got to find guys that are going to be tough, that are going to fight and play for each other. We got a lot of individuals right now, and we’ve got to understand that we’ve got to fight for each other and play together.”

So the thought process of what got Ollie to talking about a team of individuals and needing to play for each other was the lack of fighting for rebounds.

Reaction Score
Boat played 35 minutes on a bad ankle and took nine shots and had six assists. There was nothing in his performance, or in the build up to the game during the week, that in any way indicates Boat was the target of his wrath. If anything, the opposite was true.

This was after the Yale game:

"Ryan's got to do a better job with the four turnovers," Kevin Ollie said. "Those were just careless turnovers. But I applaud his effort out there, because a lot of people were sitting on that bench hurt, and I know his ankle hurts. But he got out there and played. I've got to applaud that. My captain is there. We're going to go with him, he still stuck his nose in and got four rebounds."

“I can hardly take Ryan [Boatright] out of practice. ... He’s going to get out here and play, this is his last year. He’s pretty much given everything he has to this program. So Ryan is not going to sit out. I’m going to have to drag him out of a game.”

“He’s probably 85 percent. He’s never missed a practice, and that’s just amazing, with him going so hard and we’re asking him to do so much. But he knows his body and he does a great job with James and Travis Illian, getting his body ready. And that’s what a professional does.

“… We want him to let the game play him. If that’s getting 24 points, that’s 24 points. If that’s 12 assists one night, that’s 12 assists. He can’t play the game, he’s got to let the game play him and the game is going to dictate what you do as a basketball player.

We’ve been down to eight guys and pretty much played seven [against Texas]. With Ryan, that’s the numbers I have and he’s one of our best players and we’re going to ride him. Of course, you want him to get more help and we’re going to have to shoot better. Ryan understand that and he’s trying to make other guys better.

Hate to say it Gurley but if he plays, the obvious heroics aside, he needs to perform. He went to the well too many times and came up empty trying to make plays he couldn't. As the leader in this game he couldn't let that happen. At one point they actually did play better without Ryan playing. I'll be the first to say we needed him back in despite that, but not coming in and making the same bad play for the 4th time and another run out, can't happen!

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
Hate to say it Gurley but if he plays, the obvious heroics aside, he needs to perform. He went to the well too many times and came up empty trying to make plays he couldn't. As the leader in this game he couldn't let that happen. At one point they actually did play better without Ryan playing. I'll be the first to say we needed him back in despite that, but not coming in and making the same bad play for the 4th time and another run out, can't happen!

That's not the issue in this thread. You can fairly criticize his turnovers without ripping his character or calling him a selfish cancer causing chemistry problems. Especially after what he's brought to the program.

He didn't play well at all. He wasn't sharp - his handle was looser than normal, and he didn't have his usual quick explosion to shoot the gaps, so the help defense ripped it from him a couple times. But he was trying to make a play for a stagnant offense that was struggling. The way he's been playing this year, if he was able to get into the gap, he'd have probably been looking to kick it out for a teammate - he wasn't playing for himself, and turning it over doesn't mean he's selfish or the root of all our problems. It just means he made a bad play. It happens. Bazz made plenty. Kemba made plenty. Stuff happens when you're the lead dog and have to take risks.

Reaction Score
That's not the issue in this thread. You can fairly criticize his turnovers without ripping his character or calling him a selfish cancer causing chemistry problems. Especially after what he's brought to the program.

He didn't play well at all. He wasn't sharp - his handle was looser than normal, and he didn't have his usual quick explosion to shoot the gaps, so the help defense ripped it from him a couple times. But he was trying to make a play for a stagnant offense that was struggling. The way he's been playing this year, if he was able to get into the gap, he'd have probably been looking to kick it out for a teammate - he wasn't playing for himself, and turning it over doesn't mean he's selfish or the root of all our problems. It just means he made a bad play. It happens. Bazz made plenty. Kemba made plenty. Stuff happens when you're the lead dog and have to take risks.

Agree, should never have his character ripped at all , nor his game. He's been real solid thus far as I said and this one we will dismiss as trying to do too much with a team that had little going for them!

Reaction Score
If we had 10 guys with as much heart as Boat has, we would be 5 and 1. Period.

I'm afraid it's not heart bass. There's other facets of the game which have hurt this team more than anything I've seen in thus far. We're 3-3 for many reasons, although with a couple guys heart can be part of it I guess, indirectly.

H

huskymagic

I don't think he hinted at anything resembling selfishness by Boat. I'm actually more convinced of that now that you think he was.

McCracken who else was Ollie referring to about selfishness and selfish players other than Boatright who played very poorly and losing the ball left and right. Omar and Purvis were hinted by Ollie about injuries and DRS. It's not anything against him, but facts lead you to one conclusion there. Amazingly as soon as Boatright got yanked, the team started playing better and cut the lead to 5 before halftime. Take off the homer glasses and look at reality sometimes. This does not mean I don't appreciate or respect Boat because I do since Florida St. freshman year.

Reaction Score
huskymagic said:
McCracken who else was Ollie referring to about selfishness and selfish players other than Boatright who played very poorly and losing the ball left and right. Omar and Purvis were hinted by Ollie about injuries and DRS. It's not anything against him, but facts lead you to one conclusion there. Amazingly as soon as Boatright got yanked, the team started playing better and cut the lead to 5 before halftime. Take off the homer glasses and look at reality sometimes. This does not mean I don't appreciate or respect Boat because I do since Florida St. freshman year.

Not Boatright. Here are KO's postgame quotes:

"One thing I was really hanging out hat on was our rebounding and it just let us down. Ive never seen it before in my life: One offensive rebound in a game, just never seen that. I’ve got to find guys that are going to be tough, that are going to fight and play for each other. We got a lot of individuals right now, and we’ve got to understand that we’ve got to fight for each other and play together.”

"Ryans got to do a better job with the four turnovers," Kevin Ollie said. "Those were just careless turnovers. But I applaud his effort out there, because a lot of people were sitting on that bench hurt, and I know his ankle hurts. But he got out there and played. Ive got to applaud that. My captain is there. Were going to go with him, he still stuck his nose in and got four rebounds."

We’ve been down to eight guys and pretty much played seven [against Texas]. With Ryan, that’s the numbers I have and he’s one of our best players and we’re going to ride him. Of course, you want him to get more help and we’re going to have to shoot better. Ryan understand that and he’s trying to make other guys better."

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

So you agree with Paesano that Boat is a cancer on the team you can't wait to get rid of? Be careful what you wish for. We have no better point guard (by far) and he gives 110%.
Ollie may have meant Purvis, Calhoun, Cassel...anyone but

H

huskymagic

So you agree with Paesano that Boat is a cancer on the team you can't wait to get rid of? Be careful what you wish for. We have no better point guard (by far) and he gives 110%.
Ollie may have meant Purvis, Calhoun, Cassel...anyone but

Absolutely not. Do i believe Boat is having chemistry and trust issues with some of his teammates? Yes.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
That was the issue.
Aside from that, I thought Boat was doing pretty well up to the Yale game. And I don't want to judge him on a game he played hurt in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom